Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bansko- security?? plus ill tag a general question on there

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there, about to embark on my 5th ski holiday in a couple of weeks, not really a huge fan of the destination, but it wasnt my choice, anyway to the question :

Whats bansko like for crime?? ive never ever put a seconds thought into securing my skis, ive always just dumped them wherever, and gone for it,ive got a semi expensive set up (cost me £200ish, but rrp to replace it would be more like £600),didnt really leave them many places in france or italy, but in canada they regularly got dumped at the bottom of the mountain outside for a couple of hours a day.

but just thought id browse for it about bansko, havent heard any horror stories about skis getting nicked. but im still slightly worried given the eastern european-ness of it, with people not making much money out there, reportedly an abundance of prostitutes in the resort etc, makes me think crime may follow crime.

I know i could buy a £7 cable lock, but im debating just not taking my skis, and hiring if its bad, as my skis arent ideal for the conditons (183 twin tips 92mm underfoot, bought for canadian powder and learning some park stuff on)

Also if anyones got any photos of the snowpark itd be appreciated, all im finding on the web is videos of one 3 foot kicker??

also if there any more challenging, unmarked stuff there, that I could hit without a guide??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bansko doesn't really have any problems with people nicking your skis - the main one I have seen is beginners picking up the wrong ones by accident. It's nowhere near as dodgy as France or Austria and on the mountain I haven't heard of anyone having anything taken yet. I wouldn't leave my skis outside a bar on the main street late at night in any resort though... Very Happy
There's a couple of strip clubs in Bansko (where they don't actually take many clothes off - must be the cold weather) but I think you'll be hard pushed to find prostitutes wandering the streets so don't worry about that too much.

The park hasn't been set up yet, just not enough snow but if you get some fresh powder when you are over there is quite a bit of steep off-piste that's easily accessible. A lot of it is quite easy to spot from the pistes but you might need to sweet talk the locals a bit to get pointed in the right direction for the best runs!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Its worth taking a lock anyway as some insurances require that you use one for hired and you own stuff
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah, yeah, stuff does get nicked in Bansko. The Wife's fancy Leki poles (xmas prezzie from me) went missing at Shilligarnick. As it was 4.30, one of our boys and I took off down the mountain to check everyone coming off the hill. After 20mins of peering accusingly at every pair of poles coming off of the mountain. They were easy to spot as the Missus still had the clip-on straps attached to her gloves. The guy, when collared, spun me a yarn how he'd lost his own poles and needed our's to get back down to the town. rolling eyes
Also met a guy in the Police station, who'd had his brand new snowboard (xmas prezzie from his parents) go missing. He was heart broken. Sad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kev182 wrote:
Hi there, about to embark on my 5th ski holiday in a couple of weeks, not really a huge fan of the destination, but it wasnt my choice, anyway to the question :

Whats bansko like for crime?? ive never ever put a seconds thought into securing my skis, ive always just dumped them wherever, and gone for it,ive got a semi expensive set up (cost me £200ish, but rrp to replace it would be more like £600),didnt really leave them many places in france or italy, but in canada they regularly got dumped at the bottom of the mountain outside for a couple of hours a day.

but just thought id browse for it about bansko, havent heard any horror stories about skis getting nicked. but im still slightly worried given the eastern european-ness of it, with people not making much money out there, reportedly an abundance of prostitutes in the resort etc, makes me think crime may follow crime.

I know i could buy a £7 cable lock, but im debating just not taking my skis, and hiring if its bad, as my skis arent ideal for the conditons (183 twin tips 92mm underfoot, bought for canadian powder and learning some park stuff on)

Also if anyones got any photos of the snowpark itd be appreciated, all im finding on the web is videos of one 3 foot kicker??

also if there any more challenging, unmarked stuff there, that I could hit without a guide??

was in bansko 3 years ago and loved it.
never once felt threatened. Also i think there was no more ski theft than anywhere else, in my limited experience.

what i heard is that the "people" that run bansko know trouble is bad for business so make sure it's limited. as for eastern europe in general, have had more trouble in that poo-poo-hole paris than any time ive been in eastern europe.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
victoriac, is there any local instructors you can recommend? I know you recommend Method but local school is half the price. Cheers
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks, thats put my mind to rest a bit, although the current lack of snow isn't(although there is finally some forecast) just need 3 weeks of the stuff and ill be happy.

see id just read a bunch of threads on the place about there being prostitutes hanging round hotel lobbies etc, and it just made me think what kind of a place am i going to, but im just going to go for it, take a lock, if stuff gets nicked im going to use it as an excuse to get new gear. no point in having semi decent gear and not using it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kev182 wrote:
thanks, thats put my mind to rest a bit, although the current lack of snow isn't(although there is finally some forecast) just need 3 weeks of the stuff and ill be happy.

see id just read a bunch of threads on the place about there being prostitutes hanging round hotel lobbies etc, and it just made me think what kind of a place am i going to, but im just going to go for it, take a lock, if stuff gets nicked im going to use it as an excuse to get new gear. no point in having semi decent gear and not using it.

great thing about bansko is it's not pretentious. also beer is cheap
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The only real problem I've been made aware of over the years (straight from the horses mouth) is that hire stuff would have a habit of going missing, often around the Happy End bar, only to re-appear after said punter had gone home, having paid for a replacement set of kit. Quite a cottage industry, in fact, but that was five years ago so it may not be the case now.

Wherever I go I secure my board, but tend to keep my eye on it a bit more in certain places. wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gsyfreerider wrote:
victoriac, I know you recommend Method but local school is half the price. Cheers

There's a good reason why Method are twice the money of Ulen. wink Pay the money and use Method.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gsyfreerider, try www.banskoskimania.com too - they have some good instructors, Vasil is a favourite with our guests!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy