Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hestra glove liners

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Or liners for Hestra gloves...

My OH has a pair of Hestra Heli-ski gloves with the removable (fleece?) liners. However, he has been complaining that his fingers were cold sometimes (especially when compared to his old mittens bought in Finland when it was very, very cold, but which are often too hot in the Alps, and they have seen better days...)

I suggested that he buy an alternative pair of liners that might be warmer than the standard ones, but a look on the Hestra website gives about 30 Shocked different options! I have silk liners, so I know they work for me, but would merino be better? Or something else? Has anyone tried any of the alternative materials?

Cheers snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mine came with the wool pile/terry liner, been great so far from lots minus early season on the stubai glacier to annoyingly warm recently.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scarlet, I'd pick up some cheap silk liners from Decathlon and wear those inside the current ones.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Guy in Edge and Wax said silk liners were mainly just for wicking sweat rather than an all out warm liner. I've never found my silk ones made a particularly big difference myself. He recommended the waffle liner instead as a warm but still thin alternative which is slightly thicker but apparently a lot warmer.

Edit: the Hestra Polartec Power Dry Waffle liner (item 3415)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
scotia, Yeah, that is a good (and cheap) suggestion that then gives a couple of options as long as the silk ones are thin enough to go inside the fleece ones.

el nombre, I've not suffered from problems myself since I've had the silk liners, so I think there is something in it. However, my gloves don't have a separate liner, so it might be that they aid by trapping an extra layer of air inside? They are too tight for anything else though, but with the Hestras we can swap the lining instead, which is more versatile. Have you tried out the waffle lining yourself?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I bought the Hestra merino liners when I got my Heli-skis a year ago and they barely lasted a week before they were - hmm I guess I'd say 'laddered' if they were a pair of tights.

Agree with el nombre, the waffle liners are the ones to try - I probably will be in any case!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I went though 2 sets of silk liners and didn't find them very good for warmth and didn't last very long at all, kept getting plucked on velcoe and then just disintegrated.

I switched to these and have been well impressed

http://www.outdoordesigns.co.uk/products_gloves_layeron.html

They are just about warm enough for wandering around resort at night, and I found they were very close fitting, so fit well inside my main gloves without hindering movement of the fingers.
Since getting these I've hardly had any painfully cold fingertips moments.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Merino wool liners
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm amazed that the liners that came with the gloves aren't warm enough... Been using mine since xmas and in some pretty cold temps (down to -16ºC) and my hands have been toasty.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
shoogly, it can get a fair bit colder than -16 Wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scarlet wrote:
Have you tried out the waffle lining yourself?

I haven't no, just going on what the guy in the shop said. But I don't think it was entirely marketing cowdoo as he was comparing them to the silk ones rather than just forcing a single pair on me.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've said it on other Hestra threads, I found the liners in the Army Leather GTX model totally insufficient, even with additional merino liner gloves, so they will be sold. I've since swapped to mittens lined with PrimaLoft, which are very toasty down to -15 degrees C. Colder than that and I have to add merino liner gloves. But I'm a women and our extremities tend to get cold easily.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So, a couple of votes for silk, a couple for merino, one for not merino, two for waffle liners, and Primaloft and Layeron. Excellent, I'll pass it on Smile

Zero-G, The gloves are staying as they are sufficient for most conditions and appear to be well made, and were only bought last Feb so we could do with a fairly cheap remedy really. Agree on the mittens though, although the reason he bought the gloves instead is that the Finnish mitts are apparently too hot unless it's really, really cold, and in March I'm not expecting that..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We have Hestra wool liner gloves bought in Sweden that are great for warmth. 100% wool - black - were about £10 a pair.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scarlet, they are indeed well made, the quality is great. But since I wasn't able to buy warmer liners in resort (and bought the mittens instead) I'll sell them and hang onto the mittens. I have two other pairs of Hestra gloves for warmer conditions and rate them highly.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy