Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Advice!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys I am an intermediate/advanced (leaning more towards intermediate) skier looking to invest in a new pair.. Some advice at what I should look t would be greatly appreciated!

I am 6'2'', 82kg and probably ski 60/40 on/off piste. Would be keen for some twin-tips also as I'm keen to learn to ride switch better and have some fun in the park.

I've been looking at the scott punishers and volkl mantras..

Asking for a few more suggestions though, as I will have to buy these second hand as I'm on a budget so I cant just expect either of those two skis to fall into my lap!

All suggestions very welcomed,

Josh
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hey - i'm selling my old mantras, they're 177s... They haven't been used that much at all, just over two weeks of skiing. I've taken the bindings out to put on my new skis, but you can remount skis a couple of times...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

scott punishers

loved them at a recent ski test.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mantras are a good ski but they're not a twin, and the flex pattern Isn't designed for riding switch. If you're serious about riding a bit of park I'd look elsewhere, Liberty have some decent options on Ebay at the mo I think???
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Richard, thanks for the off but I'm looking for some skis that are a bit happier on piste than the mantras.

Also guys I've been thinking about 182s if I get some twins? Or is that too short for me?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mantras are surprisingly responsive on piste!
I am actually obsessed with mine!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As an intermediate would I be able to push them hard enough though? Also any advice on ski length??
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't believe there is a better all mountain ski than the mantras and you would want the 177, the 184 is more freeride than all mountain. I personally prefer carving and quick turns on my mantras than a dedicated piste ski which only come out when it's nothing but ice. Off piste they are awesome, particularly when the coditions are mixed & tracked out where they blast through everything.

However, they don't really like going backwards and in the park they are hard on the legs. Having said that, they are very stable for jumping in the soft. There are lots and lots of reviews of the ski on the internet as it hasn't really been changed for the last 4 years. Bad news is Volkl have decided to change it for next year where (I believe) it will be slightly wider under foot, less sidecut and slight rocker. Don't know why they're doing this as it is already perfect for its job and they have so many other skis in their line up. I'm thinking about buying another pair of this years to keep as a spare!! I currently ski mine 80% of the time even tho I have 6 pairs of skis and I have a huge smile on my face at all times!

If you want a slightly softer ride that is also at home in the park, the scott punishers are also a great choice, you won't get the same perfomace as the mantras IMO but they are a bit more user friendly and can do everything pretty well. Again there are lots of reviews on this ski and you would want the 182 for sure.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hey stone88,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I think the punishers are still the one to be honest, being a twenty-something lad the idea of the park is still far too appealing to me, also think i may be able to pick them up somewhat cheaper than the mantras. If I do decide I would prefer more performance I could maybe pick up the mantras next season for cheap (an old model- i hear the mantras are changing for 11/12!).

Also has anyone got any advice on what poles (size/model) i should have a look at? Nothing special.. just cheap and functional.

Cheers!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bought some second-hand 2010 182 punishers Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy