Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soll : Skiing from town to town - Best mountain lunch, tips

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I am off to soll for the first time at the beginning of March 2011 and am wondering does anyone have any nice routes to the nearby towns. I am an intermediate skier and like to cruise around for the day. I also like to stop for a nice lunch and a beer on the mountain.
Any hidden gems(chalets,restaurants) around the area; i'm not fussy with food?
All tips and help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sahdog, I'm just back from Scheffau (next door to Söll). Not entirely sure what you mean by 'nice routes to nearby towns'. Each resort is a starting point to a large interconnecting area of pistes but in many cases the base stations and resort runs do not lead to/from the town centres. These are proper longstanding working towns/villages, not purpose-built ski stations, so where they might not have ski in/out convenience, they do have bags of charm and generally better facilities.

Nice lunch on the mountain is simple, there are loads of lovely mountain huts, just go easy on the beer! Enjoy! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ski over to Westendorf, which has the best skiing in the SkiWelt anyway. Ski down the red 110b from the Middle Station of the Alpenrosenbahn and about a third of the way down you'll get to Georg's bar (I forget the proper name, it's hut 82 on the lift map), which is a great place for lunch and apres drinks stop on your last run down of the day. It's where we eat every lunch whenever we're in Westendorf, and Georg's a legend too.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sahdog, I posted this on another thread a few days ago, but it's applicable here as well:

" Some of my favourite runs:
Red run from Zinsberg - Brixen
Blue and Red runs from Brandstadl - Scheffau
Red runs served by lift no.51 above Soll
Red run from Rigi - Hopfgarten

Nice restaurants for lunch:
Gasthof Stockalm (just below Hochsoll)
Neualm (Scheffau gondola mid-station)
Biwack (top of red run to Brixen)

Apres-ski:
Moonlight Bar (bottom of red run into Soll)
Rossini (on the left as you walk into Soll)

Personally I didn't find the nightlife to be as good as I was expecting, although it was still ok.
Also, make sure you check out the church. I'm not religious at all, but I was very impressed

Couple of photos to get you in the mood:

Looking down towards Soll from near the top of the Hohe Salve:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30454354@N06/4838296003/in/set-72157624480299413/

Biwack restaurant above Brixen:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30454354@N06/4838904174/in/set-72157624480299413/ "

To be honest, the home runs down to any of the surrounding towns are good, but the runs down to Brixen and Scheffau were my favourites.

If you like racking up the miles, try skiing the length of the area, up to Going and back. It's easily do-able in a day, and you feel like you cover a good distance (although you're only really 20 mins by car from Soll).

Steven
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30454354@N06/collections/72157625225230520/
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sahdog, lots of lovely lunch stops on the mountain in the SkiWelt - you will be hard pushed to find a bad one. The smaller hunters hut type places are long on atmosphere and hearty fare and are good for a long stop, and the self-service places are high class too for when you want to Groestl-n-Go. The one at Rigi (Riga?) being my fave.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi,

Thanks for all the replies,

Local or information from people that have already visited is great.

@ queen bodecia : Nice routes Smile I mean nice runs from piste to piste or gondola gondola exploring the runs, the scenery and the huts along the way.

Thanks again Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
From here http://piste-maps.co.uk/Portals/0/Piste-Maps/Austria/Skiwelt-Piste-Map-Large.jpg I think my favourite hut was hut 2, near the Brixen side (granted I only sampled one each day, and there were loads more....

If you ski all the way over to the Ellmau/Going village runs (I really enjoyed the runs down from the top of the Astberg) then go to Ellmauer Alm (might be hut 64 on map), the food was great (I had Grostl NehNeh ).

Did you have a good time queen bodecia, ? How did your friend get on?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sahdog, sorry, I misunderstood your original post.

hammerite, I had a fab time thanks. My friend enjoyed herself too but didn't take to skiing. I guess it's not for everyone.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Glad you had a good time, but a shame your friend hasn't took to skiing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Most of the offpiste routes (marked on the map, avi protected) are also fun and pretty low stress/mellow. Make sure you know the routes though, a few years back we took a wrong turn and after chasing the pow down trhough someone's meadows ended up with a 1 hour+ walk back along the road to the nearest lift.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy