Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do I want Mantras?

Poster: A snowHead
183cm 92kg

I like Bandits and Missions, and stiffer off piste skis.
Skis are for everything except rails
I think mantras fit the bill? 191? Should I be thinking about touring bindings (going to Chamonix soon for 4-5 weeks Very Happy).
And is it a safe enough bet to buy these here without skiing them?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd sat 184's not 191's, think they'd be too long - my ski Mantra 184 and i'm 96kg...........highy rcommended with Marker Duke bindings. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i just got some 191 with dukes that i am trying out next week and will let you know how i get on, what length do you normally like? me i prefer a shorter ski but the long ones came up on ebay so i went for it...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I used to ski Bandits, I'm the same size and weight as you - I thought I'd like Mantras, but ended up buying Black Crows Navis. Would agree with Markymark29, 191 is prob too long. They're a big step up from Bandits and Missions - do you really want to buy without trying? You might save yourself a few quid, but it's a big gamble. . .

Scarpa did an excellent review on Mantras and Navis if you search for it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you ski hard and have strong legs, they're as good a ski as you'll find. Dukes are a good compromise though they're not super-easy to tour in because they don't switch from walk to ski mode with a flick of the pole. For hike and ride they're ace. I'm gently moving to longer skis - 191 Scott Pures, 191 Atomic Coaxs and 190 Black Diamond Megawatts in recent and coming trips - and find I quite like them. Bit unwieldy if you're clattering about in skins and sidestepping, but so much fun coming down. I'm about 200lb and 6', and frankly a bit of an office boy so I do find the first couple of days on these skis quite a work out...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Here's that review:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1115221&highlight=mantra+navis#1115221

I found it very helpful
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
.Ro, don't forget 'want' is not 'need' wink Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
.Ro, if you can try before you buy. They're quite a bit more of a ski than a Mission or Bandit. Seeing how you ski I think you'd like them more than the softer skis like the navis. I ski a 184 Mantra myself, and went 184 rather than 191 for a bit more versatility as I'm not always deep off-piste.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
.Ro, i've been through the same line of thinking as yourself in recent months and plummeted for K2 Hardsides in 188 mounted with Barons. I'm 95kg (a wee bit heavier with all my gear on).

All i can say about the ski is that they're great! They've handled the massive amount of differing conditions that we've had in Scotland this season very well and i know that i've made the right choice.

I hadn't skied Mantras before buying the Hardsides, but have since. I found them a bit more unweildly than the hardsides, especially in short turns where the K2s responds a fair bit quicker. Can only put that down to construction and the slight rocker in the K2s as they feel about the same weight and the radius is pretty similar in both. That rocker is also great at assisting over broken up and refrozen crud etc.

I've not managed to do any touring on them at all so far though, as apparently there's a problem getting the K2 cut to size skins in the UK. I have done some nordic style X-country on them on flat and slightly downhill ground though and they bindings don't feel too unweildly.

I'm not saying not to buy Mantras, but maybe just another ski to consider.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
.Ro, Mantra is a very different ski from the Mission, but a great ski
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'll try what's been suggested and see Toofy Grin

skimottaret, Usually ski at Hemel on 150s... The bandits I skied last year were a fair bit taller than me - missions have probably been 1-8-something.

Sideshow_Bob, If you were always deep off-piste would you still choose mantras? I assumed the stiffness was mostly desirable on piste?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I recently got back from Verbier where I gave my new ones their first run out. I loved them (191cms - I'm 6'0 and 108kgs) and don't really have much to add from what's been said other than a massive thumbs up - if you're an aggressive skier with strong legs and want a reasonable blend of off and on piste ability you can't go wrong.

Previous skis were Line Prophet 100s which were great but didn't feel as solid. Perfect tool for Cham in my opinion!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
depends whether the off-piste is powder or hardpack
i have just retired some original Legend Pros which were quite similar to Mantras but with less sidecut. in soft snow, they react best to going fast. great on steeps. a bit of a handful if you need to make lots of quick turns (trees, rat runs etc) - expect mantras are similar but may lose out a shade on the steeps but gain where quick turns are needed
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
.Ro, as Arno said. I replaced the original LPs I bought from him with the Mantras as I wanted a bit more shape for harder snow carving - my LPs skied a bit like a Super-G ski and were a bit unwieldy at times, though they were better than the Mantras at hard charging - LPs didn't have a speed limit whereas sometimes the 184 Mantras don't feel quite as stable. I'd go longer, a bit softer and with a rocker or reverse camber if I was skiing Washington State/Japan powder every day but I don't get that luxury, tho I am wondering about whether I can justify adding a powder ski like a Kuro/Redeemer or even a funshape like an S7/JJ to my quiver. Even if I did, I'd suspect Mantras would be first pair packed for changeable European conditions.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I am wondering about whether I can justify adding a powder ski like a Kuro/Redeemer or even a funshape like an S7/JJ to my quiver. Even if I did, I'd suspect Mantras would be first pair packed for changeable European conditions.

Definitely - I got a pair or Moment Bibby Pro's this season, intending them to be powder only skis, but I've found I prefer them to my mid-fats (Dynastar Big Troubles) in any sort of soft mixed conditions, apart from super developed bumps anyway. I think you could be suprised at the versatility of some of the fatter/5-point sidecut/rocker-camber-rocker skis out there.

Plus new toys are always fun wink

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 12-01-11 18:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Arno, Personally, I'd put the Mantras about half-way between the Missions and the LP XXLs on a scale of stiffness/forgivness
snow report
Patch, I haven't skied Mantras so just going on the reports; I'd say that in terms of flex, XXLs are a tad softer than my old LPs, although being longer, straighter and fatter the XXLs were usually even harder work. I've decided I'm too old for all that nonsense and have been building a quiver of cheaters' skis instead Cool
snow conditions
Arno wrote:
I've decided I'm too old for all that nonsense and have been building a quiver of cheaters' skis instead

I know the feeling ... I'm even considering buying buying a short, skinny pair!
snow report
on the subject of the mantras...

I been thinking about getting a pair of 191 Mantras with Dukes for a while. I have a pair of powder skis which are awesome on deep days and in tight situations, so these would be for everyday piste use and off piste whenever possible - when snow is dodgy/ripping bigger lines etc. I was thinking Dukes for the odd bit of pre-season uphill action and accessing stuff from lifts, so nothing huge... What do we think? also i'd be interested in any suggestions for other skis to demo. i'm 6ft 5 and fairly heavy.
snow report
.Ro wrote:
Skis are for everything except rails

Does this mean you are looking to use them on kickers in the park as well as general all round use? The Mantra is really too stiff for use in the park and is unforgiving on landings, and obviously not designed for switch riding at all.

If your not planning on using them in the park then they are great everywhere else in my opinion, you will benefit from the stiffness at your weight. I spent a season on my Mantra's and was never less than stoked with them on all types of terrain. There are other good similarly stiff ski's out there, like the Prophet 100 or Hardside as recommended above that would also be worth considering.

I would defo recommend the 184's and not the 191 at your height, I may be wrong but I think the 191's actually have less sidecut as well and are moving much more to a big line charger than an allrounder?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy