Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to ski in march?????

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hiya all,

my friend is looking for a late ski holiday that wont destroy the bank, any idea's for a couple in march with the best snow possible??

any response gratefully recieved! Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Al;titude is likely the secret to Skiing in march, particularly if its towards the end. Oberatuern in Austria works well.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or:
Val thorens
Saas-Fee
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
March is the best month for skiing in Austria IME, certainly the likelihood of scoring fresh powder is highest in March. Just pick a resort as you normally would, most places will have snow well into April. If it's towards the end of March you may wish to avoid resorts which are predominately south-facing though (ie Saalbach).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
March is not late, most ski resorts have their deepest base in March (sometimes). There may be some very low lying areas that are problematic in March, but any significant resort will have a season that runs until April.

E.g Kitzbuhel is renowned for being low altitude and can suffer from a lack of snow, according to the SCGB it had it's deepest base in late March last year. OK, that's just one season and the depth of the base is not really that meaningful, but in general snow in March is not a problem.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sah, yup, had 20/30cm of fresh in Kitzbuhel at the end of March last year.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Obertauern still gets my vote... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Montgenevre holds it snow very well if you're concerned about snow depths. However, if you take a look at snow history records, you'll see that March is very often the snowiest month in the whole season for a high number of resorts.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999 wrote:
sah, yup, had 20/30cm of fresh in Kitzbuhel at the end of March last year.

b@stard Smile . I left St Anton just as that storm hit the area. I had 6 days of slush and sun bathing the week before. It was OK though, very relaxing and skiing slush on fat skis is actually good fun. I cold hardly bare to lok at my friends photos from the following week - powder & blue skies and low temps.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alexsam97, loads of choices! March is a good month to ski in because of longer days, warmer daytime temperatures and usually good snowfall. There are always places that can report a bad time and if the season carries on like it currently is, I would avoid any resorts with predominantly south-facing slopes.

Other than that the world is your oyster as they say!

As for the bank - I believe Italy and Austria are coming out ahead on that score. The popular French resorts are noticebly more expensive from everything written here. It is a while since I skied on a regular basis in France, but a short visit last year to a resort in the Massif Central gave me prices comparable with what I was getting in Austria. I did notice a difference in the quality of the food as well as the quantity though.

If France is your thing, stay away from the big popular places and seek out some of the not so commonly known (to the UK market). you may find you get more for your money that way.

I can't see the point of going away and self-catering though! this is supposed to be a holiday isn't it Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes, agree that March is absolutely the best month of the season to ski - has been consistently here for the last nine years, and we're not very high (highest is only just over 2000m). However, if you go to France, aim for the second half of the month - French school hols till 13th.

"Self catering" as it's laughingly called, is often the best way to sample all the restaurants in the offing, rather than being stuck with what might turn out to be not very nice hotel food. It's a bit of a lottery unless you have a personal recommendation for the food. There's good and bad food everywhere. I would much prefer to be able to have my own choice of breakfast, in my pyjamas and dressing gown, at whatever time I want, and to be able to drink top quality booze at supermarket, not bar, prices. If I were much richer than I am I still wouldn't stay in a hotel - I'd rent an exclusive chalet with a chef at my beck and call. My son worked for a Parisian with a chalet like that - he flew over to Paris to meet them prior to the season, and to learn about their food likes and dislikes. One can always dream!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thanks everyone for all the info, looks like i shouldnt be too worried about snow cover then which is good news! and great tip about the school hols there pam w!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think obergurgl is meant to be good for late season skiing, as well.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alexsam97,

All links in the 3 Valleys will be open this season until 25th April and Val Thorens will be open until 8th May.

I know of a place in Val T that's available for the last week in March wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy