Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it safe to ski off piste

Poster: A snowHead
of course not, by the same token it's not safe to cross the road....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/france/val-disere/8254438/Val-dIsere-avalanche-is-it-safe-to-ski-off-piste.html
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, no, maybe?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mostly.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
On the back of the Val d'Isere avalanche, which i'm guessing this thread is on the back of, i had a chat with my wife last night and we've both agreed that i won't be skiing off piste anywhere if the scale is 3 or above. She questioned why i'd even ski if it was at 2 and i had to explain to her the inherent responsibilities each skier must take for themselves and 2 is reasonably safe to ski as long as you do nothing stupid. At 3 or above the risk increases ten-fold.

So, yes, by my thinking, it is safe to ski off piste, as long as you are prepared, take account of the conidtions and ski with someone who knows/guides the area very very well.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It depends.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
shoogly, a blanket ban at L3 and above? What about low angle slopes, perhaps through the trees? Short pitches with no exposure above them and gentle run outs below them? Resorts spend a lot of time at L3 and by the time it drops to L2 you often have to spend time and effort hiking to reach untracked snow.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shoogly, there goes your powder then, with a reasonable amount of new snow the level will be at least 3. Plus as you probably know even whilst the 'resort' is on 3 there'll be plenty of places with safe skiing (as on 2 there will still be dangerous places).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boredsurfing wrote:
of course not, by the same token it's not safe to cross the road....

Agreed, of course not.

On the other hand, you watch what's been happening to the weather over the last month or so, has the snow pack stabilised or not (see Davidof's analysis of yesterday's tragic avalanche:http://pistehors.com/news/forums/viewthread/774/), what's the wind loading, slope angle, what about terrain traps, ski one at a time, use islands of safety, etc, etc. The avalanche score is only one element in the decision.

Having analysed all that, it's still not safe, but it is less unsafe.

It is definitely unsafe to launch yourself onto some virgin powder slope without having assessed all those things first, regardless of the avalanche bulletin.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What I can't get out of my mind is that, in the two latest Val d'Isere cases, two very experienced and respected guides were involved. So, my conclusion is, at best, that
Quote:

Having analysed all that, it's still not safe, but it is less unsafe.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle, yep, but you can say that for pretty much anything in life. At least skiing brings huge rewards for your risk.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle, there must be at least hundreds of thousands of skiers spend some time off piste each winter in France. How many deaths and serious injuries are there from off-piste skiing? The odds aren't that frightening. Quick look at Piste Hors shows for 2008/09 there were 18 avalanche deaths when ski touring and 9 when off-piste skiing.

So it's right to conclude that there is an element of risk, but that is the same for all things in life.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999, yes indeed, though some wusses like me have to factor in fear outweighing pleasure. Luckily, I don't have to do that with my other principal hobby, which is making/listening to music.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar and clarky999 both very very good points. I think i was trying to say i wouldn't take any silly risks at 3 or above (has been known just to get a good run). The conversation came about because my wife asked me why i'd take any risk at all.

I think i've maybe said something there that i probably don't mean and certainly didn't give enough thought too... it was the word powder that did it!

I owe you both a virtual pint!

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar,
Quote:

The odds aren't that frightening.
I appreciate that the odds aren't. But that's no help to someone who is scared of the actual, physical consequence of the risk.

Sorry, my phobic contributions are not helpful to this thread. Embarassed
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle, that fear is probably a good thing, it'll help keep you safe.
ski holidays
Hurtle, This event, so soon after the last one in Val has made me reconsider my plans for a guided off piste day next week. I had been discussing the death over Christmas with locals in the Melezes bar and all were saying that the base was very unstable this year. The early snow fall and subsequent rain were to blame, they said.

I had come to the conclusion that doing an off piste day with an expert local guide would make a level 3 day 100% safe. I will probably still do it as I realise that nothing is safe but this latest accident has certainly made me think.
snow report
bar shaker wrote:
I had come to the conclusion that doing an off piste day with an expert local guide would make a level 3 day 100% safe.

100% safe? No such thing. So you avoid the off-piste, but someone on piste clatters in to you at high speed causing serious injury or worse...
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
bar shaker wrote:
I had come to the conclusion that doing an off piste day with an expert local guide would make a level 3 day 100% safe.

100% safe? No such thing. So you avoid the off-piste, but someone on piste clatters in to you at high speed causing serious injury or worse...

As happened to one of the guide in the article above ^^^
snow report
rob@rar,
Quote:

but someone on piste clatters in to you

or you simply slip on some compacted snow in the car park and break your wrist so badly it needs 5 pins to set it. As my wife did Sad
snow report
Not that it will help Hurtle's anxiety but does anyone know the stats of death/serious injury on and off piste and crossing the road, taking into account the number of people doing each.
snow report
i've seen it said that the most dangerous bit of a day's skiing is the drive to the resort but i do not have figures to back that up
snow conditions
Personally, I choose not to, but that's not really about personal safety, it's just about choice and what I enjoy about skiing. I do many other things, including motorcycling on the road, which are statistically more dangerous than off-piste skiing. Life is full of risks, it's a question of balancing risk versus enjoyment.
ski holidays
Very tragic. I recall from PH and Meteo France that the risk was 2 becoming 3.

The pic at HAT shows bare ground and there has been mention of a depth hoar issue. With a mountain guide, we found significant depth hoar at Tignes before Christmas at approx 2700m and the thought then was that it would only increase and become an enduring instability throughout the season.

I wonder if anyone out there is digging pits at the popular off piste spots and having a look? Is it worth spending 30 mins each day digging a pit, and if with a guide even insisting that a pit be dug? - or do they dig one automatically?
snow conditions
queen bodecia,
Quote:

it's a question of balancing risk versus enjoyment.
Exactly.
ski holidays
colinstone, check the thread about a new avi tool in the Equipments section for thoughts on that.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Hurtle, there must be at least hundreds of thousands of skiers spend some time off piste each winter in France. How many deaths and serious injuries are there from off-piste skiing? The odds aren't that frightening. Quick look at Piste Hors shows for 2008/09 there were 18 avalanche deaths when ski touring and 9 when off-piste skiing.

So it's right to conclude that there is an element of risk, but that is the same for all things in life.

I wonder how many on piste deaths there were in 2008/09, would be an interesting statistic.
ski holidays
colinstone wrote:
Is it worth spending 30 mins each day digging a pit, and if with a guide even insisting that a pit be dug? - or do they dig one automatically?

Problem with pits is , 50 yards away from the one you dug the situation could be very different....
snow report
Quote:

The conversation came about because my wife asked me why i'd take any risk at all

It irks me when people ask that. Did you ask her why she doesn't wear a crash helmet when she travels by car? Head injuries in car crashes are a lot more common than avalanche deaths. (Or maybe she does wear a crash helmet in a car). Of course that's to compare apples and pears but it's right that, given the amount of time we all spend in cars, often at very high speeds in close proximity to people doing equally high speeds in the opposite direction and a few metres away, the lifetime risk of injury is considerable.

The avalanche risk here is 4/5 today - all the lifties in Notre Dame de Bellecombe were wearing bibs saying so, which I thought was a very good idea.

My main fear remains falling on the road and having a badly fractured risk - like boredsurfing's wife.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:
colinstone wrote:
Is it worth spending 30 mins each day digging a pit, and if with a guide even insisting that a pit be dug? - or do they dig one automatically?

Problem with pits is , 50 yards away from the one you dug the situation could be very different....

Well, yes, possibly for the upper layers, but if pit has significant depth hoar, which seems to be the case in Vd'I, then I would surmise that this would be an issue across the local area/region. Perhaps the pisteurs should be encouraging guides etc digging pits and reporting back with the location and findings - a bit like ships reporting weather conditions at sea.
snow conditions
colinstone, but equally if there is no depth hoar/weak layer in the pit you dig, that doesn't mean it won't be there a few metres away.
snow report
kitenski, i seem to recall 40 or so deaths on average in the alps per year, so perhaps you are safer off piste ?
latest report
shoogly wrote:
On the back of the Val d'Isere avalanche, which i'm guessing this thread is on the back of, i had a chat with my wife last night and we've both agreed that i won't be skiing off piste anywhere if the scale is 3 or above. She questioned why i'd even ski if it was at 2 and i had to explain to her the inherent responsibilities each skier must take for themselves and 2 is reasonably safe to ski as long as you do nothing stupid. At 3 or above the risk increases ten-fold.

The problem is often "no risk no fun". Slopes that won't avalanche are often too flat or snowbare. The avy warnings are very general and the local risk varies esp. with wind and sun. A guide seeks to keep the risk minimal but maximize the fun, sometimes they unfortunately get caught out.

shoogly wrote:
So, yes, by my thinking, it is safe to ski off piste, as long as you are prepared, take account of the conidtions and ski with someone who knows/guides the area very very well.

But isn't that what they were doing?
snow report
so does anyone know what degree the slopes that avalanched were in VD ?
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
kitenski, i seem to recall 40 or so deaths on average in the alps per year, so perhaps you are safer off piste ?

Which is a tiny weeny % of the number of skiers.
snow conditions
Boris wrote:
rayscoops wrote:

Which is a tiny weeny % of the number of skiers.

But alot more than off piste deaths.....
snow conditions
More total deaths I'm sure but would find it hard to believe that a higher % of on-piste skiers are killed than off-piste.

Granted bad news for the people concerned but statistically on-piste would be safer.
latest report
The recent figures I've seem also hint that ski touring accounts for more deaths than lift served off pite, but that's not always the case.

Not if this has been posted above, from pistehors:

http://david.geraldine.perso.neuf.fr/pistehors/images/avalanche/avalanche-analysis-2010.pdf
snow conditions
Boris, I wouldn't bet on the % on piste being lower than off-piste. Crowded slopes, skiers colliding with one another and other objects. I certainly feel more at risk on bust icy blues than a nice off piste route. Clearly one off piste line can be vastly more risky then another and changes from hour to hour.Also note that avi is not the only risk off piste, getting lost, cliffs, tree wells, lack of communications, remoteness, equipment failure etc.

some links to fatal accident stats from the US and scotland

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=72099#1692526&sid=d35a3e837548438ea36e10929697b52e

http://www.astm.org/DIGITAL_LIBRARY/JOURNALS/JAI/PAGES/JAI13893.htm

Scottish based on piste accident stats
http://www.ski-injury.com/intro

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/03/19/skiing.safety/index.html

From a quick read of these links it seems clear that the risk of injury or death from skiing is very low. Can't find anything that directly compares on and off piste, i guess knowing how many off-piste miles are skied each year is tricky to measure to give better comparison.
snow report
In the US, more people are killed ironing their trousers than off-piste skiing each year (don't ask me how !).

A life with no risk would be very boring - think the spaceship in Wall-E

I try to read the Avalanche Report every day. This is because it can focus on what has changed for that day, rather than the whole picture, so you need to have read them all. Depth Hoar on some N facing ridges & slopes was mentioned over a week ago. It's still there. If forms over time, just because you didn't find any a week ago, doesn't mean it isn't there now.

Depth Hoar is nasty because unless you want to go around digging full depth holes, it can be very difficult to detect. Slides where depth hoar is the failure layer have a tendency to be large and very dense.
snow report
 brian
brian
Article on mountain deaths in Switzerland 2004 - 2008.

12 ski tourers, 9 off piste skiers, 8 piste skiers, 6 off piste boarders, 1 piste boarder. 42% due to avalanches.

http://www.rsr.ch/#/info/les-titres/suisse/2336043-la-montagne-a-tue-120-fois-entre-2004-et-2008.html
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy