Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Rebirth of Aviemore

Poster: A snowHead
Nice article which I think sums up the way things are now in Aviemore pretty well, it certainly feels like there's a bit of a renaissance going on ... helped along by a few Snowheads visiting too Very Happy :
The Rebirth of Aviemore
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
roga,
superb and a real good news story. I have just booked in an additional long weekend at end of feb and hope to ski cairngorm and lecht (glencoe is the usual) After the many enjoyable SkiScot, Ski Rossendale (oops there he goes again), UK facility and 'rip off' debates, i decided to spend a few less quid in the eurozone cafes and bars, and to spend it on UK facilities instead. Every little helps. wink Very Happy (oh and i haven't forgotten to check out the chairlifts for the children - any strangers want to take them up?) rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Big nostalgia, yYeah, but I question 1983 being the Halcyon days of Aviemore. I'd submit that they were more like the early 70's when my parents were taking us up to the Post House (the Coylumbridge was a bit out of our league accomodation wise).

And we were watching Dick Barrymore films in the Osprey Room, inspiring me like you wouldn't believe.

By 1983 I was at Uni and we were treating the Coylumbridge to the BUSF post race dinner. Can't believe it survived.

No names, no pack drill.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great news, let's hope it continues. I'm doing my little bit this year!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah a revival for sure, I have always wanted to ski Scotland... I even have rellies in Inverness, finally off next month! Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
MoodyFFS, i think you should extend your stay until im there!!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ricklovesthepowder, unfortunately I ain't taking my Mrs... so a long weekend it is!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MoodyFFS, what dates are you up there?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ricklovesthepowder, Sat 5th > Tue 8th I reckon (I have the "villa" for that week)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
MoodyFFS, shame, we miss out by 1 day, never mind, i arrive on that tuesday, probably 3om so my first ski day will be the 9th.
latest report
 brian
brian
under a new name, agreed. The centre was tiring badly by the mid-80s, I think Santa was axed around then, and closed altogether by about 1990? It's hard to underestimate what a depressing dump it was by then. Heyday was definitely in the 70s when concrete was cool. Confused I must admit I still tend to avoid staying in Aviemore. If we're up there it's more likely Nethybridge or the Boat.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was so pleasantly surprised with Aviemore - absoloutely loved it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Now I know this is a little naughty, but maybe to coincide with the rebirth of Aviemore, maybe they should look to take some hints from some of the Alpine resorts... I have used the Verbier site as the base for this, but don't you think a site like this would tempt more visitors and potentially even some investment?

Disclaimer: I have used a selection of actual photos of the mountain, logos and some of it's features for illustration purposes only!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian wrote:
under a new name, agreed. The centre was tiring badly by the mid-80s, I think Santa was axed around then, and closed altogether by about 1990? It's hard to underestimate what a depressing dump it was by then. Heyday was definitely in the 70s when concrete was cool. Confused

I agree with both of you, by the mid 80s it was definitely taking on an air of neglect and the boom days were ended.

Illogical though it seems however I have to admit a great deal of nostalgia for the old centre although I know it was past it, was poorly built, angered a lot of the community in the way it was foisted on them and pulled trade away from the main village and frankly became as tacky as Blackpool sea front (no offence Blackpoolians Wink ) and was as ugly as any 70s jerry built shopping centre. I guess I had so much fun there as a kid/teenager that my rose tinted memories somewhat outbalance the reality of what it became. It had some good stuff though, the old ice rink being one much missed feture that's never been replaced ... I liked the old dry slope too but again do have happy memories of skiing there when we spent Xmas 1970 there.
Quote:
I must admit I still tend to avoid staying in Aviemore. If we're up there it's more likely Nethybridge or the Boat.

I can understand that but have to admit we had a great time in Aviemore at Xmas/New Year, it's good for transport, it feels like a ski resort and is buzzing most of the time and there are lots of good restaurants and some great apres ski spots like the Doo below too.
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
I was so pleasantly surprised with Aviemore - absoloutely loved it.

It has moved on massively since the old days and seems to impress a lot of people nowadays, glad you liked it Very Happy

MoodyFFS, that's awesome ... if only!

That must have taken a bit of time to mock up, are you a web developer?

Do you mind if I post a link to it on Colin's blog on the Cairngorm website to show people what could be done?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MoodyFFS, Nice

I have to agree that would be a much better web presence that the current front end they have, a simple revamp like that could work wonders.

There is a lot of excellent stuff going on, with things like Colins excellent video podcasts, but the overall feel of website is still a bit clumsy.
latest report
roga, yeah I guess so, just gotta be careful as it was ripped completely from the Verbier site... Even the carousel works, and the search function Laughing

No I'm not a web developer by trade, although I have done in the past - now just tend to dabble. With a design to work with, something like that would have taken a couple of hours i guess.

kevindonkleywood, ironically, something relatively simple like that design would be easy enough to do... The key is picking out the elements you most need to promote. For me, in winter they should highlight how good it can be, how good it currently is and then simple links to key info such as the questions on here... Piste map, lift pass prices/booking, accomm and what there is to do... Simples Smile
snow conditions
MoodyFFS wrote:

kevindonkleywood, ironically, something relatively simple like that design would be easy enough to do... The key is picking out the elements you most need to promote. For me, in winter they should highlight how good it can be, how good it currently is and then simple links to key info such as the questions on here... Piste map, lift pass prices/booking, accomm and what there is to do... Simples Smile

Usually, making a website "simple" in terms of the user experience involves a lot of work in the back ground. However, my take is that you shouldn't "pick out the elements you need to promote", this is exactly where the majority of websites fall down. You should consider what is the information your visitor is trying to find, and how would they do that? A visitor does not know that the picnic room comes under "apres-ski", he just wants to kow where he can sit out of the cold to have lunch, kind of thing. Similarly when searching for holidays on most tour-op sites, I don't want to choose my country then choose which airport I'm flying from: I live near an airport, so I only want to visit places that I can fly to from "my" airport.
snow report
nbt, thoroughly agree that "simple" is often easier said than done and i'm no designer - I think we are actually violently agreeing (in true snowHead fashion!). When I said "The key is picking out the elements you most need to promote" I did actually mean from the visitors perspective - mainly from my experience on the Cairngorm Mountain website. However it is relatively easy, especially at this time of year and when conditions ARE good to use relatively simple elements (photos, live webcams, video blogs) to really "sell" the resort.
snow conditions
roga, did you post the link btw?
ski holidays
MoodyFFS, yeah I did, sorry should have confirmed it when I did it. Apparently they are in the process of commissioning a new site so fingers crosed!
snow report
We make more use of Aviemore and the area around it in spring and autumn its to far for a days skiing when Glenshe is half the distance
It really is a great area for outdoor stuff
I think the Rothiemurchus Estate has helped this in a fairly big way by embracing tourism which I imagine is the source of most of there income.
The town centre is never going to be the prettiest place in the world but its not bad compared to some ski resorts in France etc
snow report
Stumbled across the Aviemore website and remembered back to my mock up from 2011...

[img]http://www.visitaviemore.com/[/img]

Much more like it! snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy