Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

4 People Killed in Avalanche in Val d'Isere

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've often wondered about being able to spot the movement in the snow pack and grabbing then handle, same goes for the avalung, I know you're meant to ski with it in your mouth, but always wondered what the chances of it being ripped out while in a slide, or losing it while gasping or saying swearies loudy.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, Shocked I'd be hard on your (high) heels.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chasseur, I saw that article and was totally unconvinced. To me it smacked of the stuff said by anti-seatbelt campaigners.

However - there does appear to be a real trend towards airbag use now - and it will be very interesting to see how things go - and to see how punters like me do when called upon to deploy, rather than the pros who have been using them so far.

Papasmurf - I think the chances of keeping an avalung in your mouth as you are spun around are low.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
stoatsbrother wrote:
Chasseur, I saw that article and was totally unconvinced. To me it smacked of the stuff said by anti-seatbelt campaigners.

However - there does appear to be a real trend towards airbag use now - and it will be very interesting to see how things go - and to see how punters like me do when called upon to deploy, rather than the pros who have been using them so far.

That wasn't my read on it - more that the guy was saying that the airbag may not be right in every avalanche situation, assuming one has the prior knowledge of terrain, snow pack, condition variables, history etc.

I wonder whether the growing use of airbags may encourage some people to take more risks or ignore some warnings if they feel "immune" from the dangers. That said, the kit is quite expensive, so one would have to be pretty serious to invest those sums, I suppose.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chasseur, fair points,

I suspect the people who really feel no fear are either the back-country skiers/boarders in their 20s who feel immortal and don't take the gear at all, or those who by years of getting away with it become numb to the risk - which may include the Pros.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sah wrote:
Layne wrote:
That must have been a monster. I've used Total Ski once. Scary as hell out there at the moment despite only being grade 3.

Level 3 is "Considerable" on the European scale. Level 3 is when most avalanche deaths occur*, primarily because people under estimate the level of risk when it is level 3. [/url]

Risk 2 at the time of the avalanche.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Interesting [url=http://www.henrysavalanchetalk.com/tragic-accidents-val-disère-season-january-11-two-others]article[/url] by Henry Schniewind of HAT on the fatal avalanches in Val d'Isere.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy