Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

IPhones suitability for cold weather.

Poster: A snowHead
With several threads running around about apps for the mountains, the following has come to light...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/11/frozen_iphone/

Knowing the IPhones ability to log it's use and environment, coupled with Apples fondness to use any trick in the book to get out of replacing faulty kit, you may want to keep your Jesusphone cosy-toasty if you're taking it up the hill this year.[/url]
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

you may want to keep your Jesusphone cosy-toasty if you're taking it up the hill this year

you need one of these...
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=72026
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had my iPhone with me in the Alps just before Christmas when for most of the week it was -20 to -25°. The phone normally lives in an external pocket on the sleeve of my jacket. Didn't have a problem using the phone all week - screen operated correctly, camera and video functions OK, was able to make/receive calls and texts, connect to wifi, etc.

Is Apple especially parsimonious with faulty kit? They replaced my phone FOC when I submerged it in water even though it has a moisture sensor (water is specifically excluded from the warranty).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar,
Quote:

had my iPhone with me in the Alps just before Christmas when for most of the week it was -20 to -25°. The phone normally lives in an external pocket on the sleeve of my jacket. Didn't have a problem using the phone all week - screen operated correctly, camera and video functions OK, was able to make/receive calls and texts, connect to wifi, etc

+1 and my ski tracks app worked very well.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't think it's particularly because it doesn't work in the cold, but that the device has been exposed to extremes outside the approved operating environment specified by Apple, therefore they COULD claim misuse at some point in the future should the situation arise.

Apple have been known to be funny about warranty claims - certainally know people who have had unrelated warranty repairs refused because of the water sensor (which is inside the headphone socket) has been triggered. Heard of cases where the accelerometer log has been used to object to repair too, as in the device had been placed under too much g-load, therefore misused, so warranty void. Even legitimate warranty repairs have sometimes been carried out only if a confidentiality agreement is signed, particularly for battery problems.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Richard_Sideways, i have found their service excellent, replaced one iphone without question and my macbook i had an intermittent issue that the telephone support people (who where extremely knowledgable ) couldnt sort suggested return, i did and two days later had a new motherboard and battery under warranty.

only problem is not being able to answer calls with gloves on !
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Apple have been known to be funny about warranty claims
I was just wondering if they were any more strict that other manufacturers.

In my case I damaged the phone in a way which was specifically excluded from the warranty (completely submerged in water) and for which there is a specific sensor for that problem (at the bottom of the headphone socket, as you say). I took the phone to my local Apple Store, they plugged it in to a computer and said "yes, it's dead" and then looked into the headphone socket with a torch. At that point I thought the game was up and I'd have to buy a new handset, but they just said they would replace the handset. Five minutes later I walked out of the store with what seemed to me to be a brand new iPhone. Can't fault that customer service.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, I think some problems stem from the inconsistancies in the implementation of their rules. The friend i was referring to had triggered the sensor on a 3G by plugging a wet headphone jack into the phone, a few months later he was having problems with the device restarting itself at will, unrelated or so it would appear, took it in as was told in no uncertain terms that there was nothing they could do as the warranty was void, so any repair would be chargable.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
rob@rar, I think some problems stem from the inconsistancies in the implementation of their rules.
Very frustrating. I wonder if Apple are more inconsistent about these things than other manufacturers.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
iPhones are notorious for problems with moisture.

I've had no problems with mine, and it happily runs the Ski Tracks app all day.
However, it most definitely does interfere with my transceiver (I use a Pulse).
Most manufacturers reccommend a 30cm separation, so I keep my phone in an internal chest pocket, and my transceiver diagonaly opposite at sort of waist height.
This seems to work.

Before I had the iPhone and the Pulse, I did some fairly thorough testing and couldn't get my phone to affect my transceiver, so dismissed the rumours.
I now stand corrected, although it is obviously transceiver / phone dependent.
Better safe than sorry, keep them 30cm apart.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alan McGregor, good tip, i just got an iphone and a pulse and will be careful
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I only spotted it because my Pulse starting beeping every so often, which it shouldn't.
I guess it was telling me it wasn't happy !
No guarantee other transceivers will tell you when they are being interfered with, so to speak.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It isn't convenient to take your Iphone with you!You should remember that battery life is much shorter when it's cold.Also you can't use its screen with your gloves on.So you'd better take an ordinary phone with you
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SleekAlist wrote:
Also you can't use its screen with your gloves on. So you'd better take an ordinary phone with you

Are there many phones you can use with your gloves on? Unless you're going to slide one of these into your pocket doesn't wearing ski gloves make it difficult to do lots of detailed things like pressing small buttons?

And welcome to snowHeads Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Now there's a product, small capacitive pads you stick on your gloves so you can use your iphone.
ski holidays
Turns out you can get gloves that can use the screen, dunno if any are good for skiing though.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:
rob@rar, I think some problems stem from the inconsistancies in the implementation of their rules.
Very frustrating. I wonder if Apple are more inconsistent about these things than other manufacturers.

For warranty type purposes I expect it all comes down to the guy in the store and/or his manager. Regardless of brand.

Inconsistencies in allowing apps maybe. More making the rules up as you go along.

The one thing I do think that's daft is the moisture sensor on the outside (between the sockets I thought), although I thought there's one on the inside too. I guess all shiny phones with non-user-replacable batteries, iDevice or otherwise are like this now? I'd be complaining like hell if a warranty claim was turned down for the outside one having been triggered by the tiniest of beer spillage.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
SleekAlist wrote:
Also you can't use its screen with your gloves on. So you'd better take an ordinary phone with you

Are there many phones you can use with your gloves on? Unless you're going to slide one of these into your pocket doesn't wearing ski gloves make it difficult to do lots of detailed things like pressing small buttons?

And welcome to snowHeads Happy

Cheers, mate!

Yup, I've heard about them, but never saw at the market. Dоes anybody use these gloves?I've once used my tongue to unblock my Iphone when it was cold, with my gloves on NehNeh
snow conditions
You can use your nose to press the button on your iPhone.
ski holidays
andy wrote:
For warranty type purposes I expect it all comes down to the guy in the store and/or his manager. Regardless of brand.
I think that's right, and I just got lucky when my water damaged phone was replaced foc.
snow report
The iPhone is a typical Consumer Electronics device not designed to cope outside of "normal" comfortable temperature ranges.
I work in the design of automotive electronics and we specify -40 to +85C.
When looking for things like screens, bluetooth chipsets and other CE related stuff it is harder to find them to automotive spec.
Saying that, my rubbish old Sony camcorder worked in Canada when it was -28C outside.

The iPhone display is probably most at risk from damage due to the cold, and, as mentioned elsewhere the battery life will be significantly reduced.
If you are going to use it you do so at your own risk, and take the chance with warranty claims.
ski holidays
The link below does the trick!

The only problem I found with mine was when I put it too close to sweaty areas in my jacket - this cause it to constantly say 'this accessory is not supported' for about a week which was annoying.

As for aftercare - I went in with my iphone on which the volume control buttons had dropped out (due to me dropping it after a few too many). I took it in to the store and the guy ran the details through and found out I was out of warranty by 6 days. Couple that with the chips on the case/ obvious poor keeping and you'd think I had no chance. However, he told me he was 'in a good mood today' and gave me a free replacement! Amazing in my opinion!

edited link
latest report
rhys.jones83 wrote:
However, he told me he was 'in a good mood today' and gave me a free replacement! Amazing in my opinion
The mute button on my girlfriend's 3G broke when it was out of waranty. Took it to my local Apple Store (same one that replaced my water immersed iPhone foc) to buy a replacement handset and they offered her a 3GS rather than a 3G. All I did was ask nicely. In my limited experience of these things Apple's customer service, in and out of warranty, is the best I've had from any company.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 13-01-11 15:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
all i can add is my i-phone has been on four holidays with me, and i have it with me all the time( not that i`m under the cosh!! but it`s so i can be contacted "at all times" by h.i.d !!) .no battery loss or problems with screen and the likes ,yet!!. However my nokia several years ago did conck out on me when i was in levi at -26c ! had to change battery when i got back! snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy