Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boy's fall from chairlift broken by Snowmass Ski Patrol quick thinking

Poster: A snowHead
An 8-year-old New Zealand boy who slipped from a chairlift and was left dangling 8m above the ground has been saved by quick-thinking Aspen ski patrollers. They used a cushioned safety pad from lift tower to break his fall. The boy was riding the lift with his parents when he began falling out. The boy's parents clung onto him to stop him completely falling from the chair until the lift was stopped.
...The family's chair stopped near a lift tower, with the boy dangling above an 8m drop. Five ski patrol members heard the call for help, scrambled to the lift tower, unhooked the cushioned safety pad and positioned it under the boy. The parents then let go of the boy, and he fell safely on to the pad.
Source: http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/4528061/Kiwi-boy-in-daring-chairlift-rescue
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Five ski patrol members heard the call for help, scrambled to the lift tower, unhooked the cushioned safety pad and positioned it under the boy.

Shocked must have seemed like a long few minutes for the parents - and the boy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A propos the other thread, even his own parents couldn't keep the child on! Shocked
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wonder if it was one of those crazy american chair lifts with no safety bar?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Riding chair lifts is quite an art at times, I'm surprised we don't actually see more stories like this in the news.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Barratschamonix wrote:
Riding chair lifts is quite an art at times, I'm surprised we don't actually see more stories like this in the news.

I suspect the reason we don't see more stories is that resorts do not like to broadcast them. Those US chairliftts without saftey bars scare the cr*p out of me, I'm sure there are incidents with them but they do not get reported.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is it not a bit worrying if they have cushioned safety pads at the ready all the time? I've never seen a lift with any. That must've been one short chairlift for 5 lifties to notice and get to anything that's going on on the lift...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mounta1nGoat wrote:
Is it not a bit worrying if they have cushioned safety pads at the ready all the time? I've never seen a lift with any. That must've been one short chairlift for 5 lifties to notice and get to anything that's going on on the lift...

The cushion was on a lift tower; they are on virtually every lift tower that it is possible to ski to to stop people colliding with the metal work. So, no, it is not worrying at all. Just quick thinking on the part of the patrollers.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mounta1nGoat, sah, most chair lifts will actually have a large piece of heavy duty fabric with handles cut to serve this purpose (for when there aren't any handy crash pads to use instead.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
parlor wrote:
Mounta1nGoat, sah, most chair lifts will actually have a large piece of heavy duty fabric with handles cut to serve this purpose (for when there aren't any handy crash pads to use instead.

I've seen these at the base of chairs in N America, never seen them on pylons; from the article this definitly seems to be the crash padding that was used.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sah wrote:

the article said it was a 6 person chair, so it would definitely have a safety bar/foot rest. 90+% of the local lifts have safety bars. The only chairs I see here in Colorado without safety bars are the very old double lifts.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MEfree30 wrote:
sah wrote:

the article said it was a 6 person chair, so it would definitely have a safety bar/foot rest. 90+% of the local lifts have safety bars. The only chairs I see here in Colorado without safety bars are the very old double lifts.

Ah, thanks for that. I have to admit I had only seen bar-less chairs on older lifts. Glad to hear that now ones are safer. I guess this article proves that nothing is 100% safe...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Poor lad, glad he was ok.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is it me or do most, if not all, of these 'slipping off chair' stories seem to come from the USA?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
^I suspect it's more likely to get reported in America and being English Speaking we are more likely to pick up on it?
snow report
Well
All's well that ends well.

I can understand how this can happen.
I have used chairs in France where kids with the ski schools are trusted to whichever adult happens to be waiting in line.
More than once I've had to grab one by the scruff or their waste band and haul them safely aboard.
On other occasions a sharp 'ASSEZ TOI' is needed to settle them in their chair.
In these occasions, however there has always been an instructor going last to watch and shout ARRETEZ if things don't look good.

Glad they went on to enjoy more skiing.
snow report
Ghost Puppy (then 6 or 7) fell of a chair in Les Gets. I caught him but couldn't pull him back on. Liftie got under him and caught him for me.

I saw a kid fall of a chair in Alpe d' Huez as well, dropped 3m into deepish snow. He was fine but looked somewhat shocked. He was about 12.
snow report
If lifts feel unsafe you behave more carefully.
Such falling off stories are a good way of making people more careful too.
Chair lifts just need to go low enough so kids can get on in the first place without us hurting our backs to hoik them on
I like the French attitude to kids - that the sensible will survive. If we cosset too much evolution won't get a look in and we'll develop into a species of imbeciles who don't know how to look after ourselves.
Basic safety levels are good all the same - such as the chair lift staying up!
Smile
ski holidays
I'm surprised that two adults who were holding an 8-year old couldn't pull him up.
ski holidays
8 metres is a chuffing long way. I have no problem with heights, but if someone asked me to jump 8 metres into a crash pad, I'd tell them to stick it. I've stood on the edge of several 8 metre high buildings (a lot of our warehouses were that height) and you wouldn't get me within 6 feet of the edge standing up.

Another nail in the coffin for "would you just look after this nice young lad on the chairlift please" from the ski school...
ski holidays
laundryman, they may have been elderly grandparents, and the kid could have been 16st.

There's an unmanned 2-seater 'black' chair in Norquay that just keeps whizzing round, and there's a sign saying 'experts only'. I had the option to double-up, but I chickened out and did it solo. There are no staff nearby to catch us adults if we fail to sit properly. Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
sah wrote:
MEfree30 wrote:
sah wrote:

Ah, thanks for that. I have to admit I had only seen bar-less chairs on older lifts. Glad to hear that now ones are safer. I guess this article proves that nothing is 100% safe...

But don't forget that most American chairs go up with the bar raised, even when it is installed. I've got used to it now, but when I first started skiing there it frightened the brown out of me, and I used to pull it down, invariably getting grumpy looks from everyone on the lift, of any age. It's weird, given that they're so fussy in other ways, but they really don't bother with the bar.

On the other hand, next time you're on a lift in heavy wind, take your skis off the footrest and arms off the bar. Now count the number of times you actually slide far enough that it needs to be there. Answer zero. On the other hand, slide your bum forward, and you'll fall out, bar or no bar. More so if you're small.
snow conditions
We have just returned from Aspen/Snowmass two days ago and can report that we didn't,t discover any lifts that didn't have a bar on them. However the American customers were pretty 50/50 about using them. My wife and I lower them every time and the chaps we were on the lifts with always accepted our English ways!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy