Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meribel: Three Valleys Escapades.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hiya Guys.

I'm just new on here (first post). I've only been skiing for 4 years, in which time I've been to Borovets, Soll and Zermatt. I'll hopefully be able to help out if anyone has any questions on these resorts (as well as Scotlands ski centres)

Anyway, going to Meribel in a fortnight. I've had a good look at the piste map, and read a few guidebooks, so I've got some good routes in my head.

However, when browsing the net, I came across this thing called the Escapades. The lift company have 'labelled' 14 lifts as 'The Escapades', and if you do them over the week, you get a certificate or whatever (I think it's mostly for the kids). However, there's a suggested route that enebles you to get round them in a day (albeit an extremely hard day). Here's a link here:
http://www.latania.co.uk/photos/2006/Escapade/Escapade.htm

That's all good, but I've just got my hands on a 2010 piste map, and it's all changed. There's now 16, and they've moved. I've tried to put my own route together, but I'm sceptical as to whether it's do-able in a day.

Does anyone here know what I'm talking about, as has anyone actually done it recently?

Thanks in advance.

Steven
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Steven, welcome to Snowheads. if you were a more established poster I'd be taking the mickey. But you are new so I will be straight up. I haven't heard of that one but there is a similar thing over at Alpe D'Huez. There are 4 routes that are more than 8km long. Each one you do give 1 Euro to charity and you get "a diploma". wtf! Anyways, the crazy thing is that 3 of them you have to negotiated the hardest piste in the domain (Le Tunnel). And the other is a black run also. Anyway regardless of that the question to be asked is why? I don't want to be graded, diploma'd, certified or anything else when I ski. I ski for the challenge, for the beauty, for the fun and for the sport. Create your own Escapade in the mountain and forgot this nonsense. Enjoy your trip and get up to Mont Valon as often as you can.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 10-01-11 23:44; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shoneyman, definiately for real a couple mates of mine hold the current record, they downhilled every section but it is doable..

http://www.latania.co.uk/photos/2008/feb/FebEscapaders/bysboys/index.html
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Layne, I completely see what you're saying, I appreciate you not being too harsh on me, but to be honest, I'm not interested in the certificate, or being graded.

The thing is, the Three Valleys is just so absolutely huge that I don't know where to start when trying to think of runs to do! If we just head out the hotel and follow our noses, we could find a couple of good runs then get stuck in a rut. Chances are, we may not head out the Meribel Valley.

Thing about these Escapade lifts is the they cover the extremeties of the area, such as the 4th valley and courchevel 1650. When I tried linking them up, I realised it was taking in a lot of the runs that are recommended.

Yeh, I could do my own route (I have done for the other 4 days), but I found it fun trying to link the lifts, and would like the challenge of trying to do them in one day! Like I say though, I'm not bothered about the certificate (I wouldn't even bother getting it), it's just the personal challenge of covering the entire area in a day.

Does that sound slightly better than what I originally said!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shoneyman, .
Quote:
if you were a more established poster I'd be taking the mickey. But you are new so I will be straight up.

Regardless of weather you are a new poster or not , you should get a good welcome and hopefully some sound advice. So Welcome to snowHead

With the right conditions and a little preparation a good skier can do it in a day. Why not take the week and enjoy the area a little more. You are correct the page on the La Tania web site is out of date though.

Pop into the lift office when you arrive and get an updated escapade map. That has a record sheet that you get stamped at each point. It will also depend on the current snow and weather conditions. Being based in Meribel makes you ideally located to achieve this. Some of the pistes may be challenging and, when I looked at it a few years ago, one was closed! Sad
Good luck and post how you went on later
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi,

As previous posters say, you don't need Escapades!

Have a look at http://www.meribel-unplugged.co.uk/meribel/skiing/guide/intermediates.htm , there are also suggestions for beginers and advanced skiers on the same link. This should give you some ideas.

Our approach tends to be to build a day around a destination or valley, so if you are in VT consider Masse or getting into the 4th Valley, you could spend a couple of days skiing Courcheval, and a day working up toward Vallon.

Don't leave the Three Valleys without doing Jerusalem and the run down into St Martin. If in Courcheval do go to the Bel Air. These are our must do's when in the 3V.

Although there have been plenty of posts on the 3V, it would be interesting to see what other posters would suggest as their perfect itinary for a day in the 3Valleys?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shoneyman, fair enough buddy, I can understand that logic. I've skied the 3V a fair bit being based in Le Praz, Courcheval 1850, La Tania, Reberty, Les Menuires X 2, Val Thorens and even Brides Les Bains so here are my thoughts:

Spend a day on the Roc Merlet runs above Courcheval 1650 early in the week. It's usually quiet and there are some lovely cruising runs. Especially nice when it's cold and sunny.

Ski all the way down from the top of the Saulire to Le Praz (via 1850). 1350m of vertical and the run down to Le Praz is varied with excellent views.

If visibility is a bit poor and/or there is a bit of snow about ski down to La Tania. A lot of it is below the tree line and the runs are lovely with a sprinkling of snow on.

Spend at least a couple of half days up on Mont Valon at the head of your valley. The snow here is always a couple of notches above most everywhere else and again it's especially nice when it's cold and sunny.

Worth skiing down St Martin Des Bellevilles earier in your trip. The runs are easy but it's quite scenic and it's a nice village.

As the week progresses and you are going well head up to La Masse above Les Menuires for some challenging ski, the snow is usually good up there.

The skiing above VT is great cruising terrain for in the week.

The 4th valley used to be a lot more "hidden" before they built the cable car up from the other side but yep it's still worth checking out. Try to go when it's not too windy or cold as it can get very grim in those conditions.

HTH, and have fun.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alright guys, thanks for the advice.

Regarding the Escapades thing. I really like looking at maps (I'm kind of 'sad' that way), especially piste maps, and I enjoyed working out how to do the 16 in one continous route. Also, I just like the idea of doing something a bit 'different' one day, and setting myself a challenge (but only for 1 day, it's a holiday after all). Like I mentioned, I've another 5 days to do the usual exploring.

On that subject, I've noticed that the same runs keep getting mentioned over and over again. Runs that keep coming up include;
Les Menuires / St Martin: Jerusalem, Pramint, Fred Covili, Allamands
Val Thorens: Col de l'audzin, Medaille, Combe de Caron
Meribel: Face, Villages, Blaireau, Venturon, Campagnol, Mauduit, Cerf, Lapin
Courchevel: Bouc Blanc, Murettes, Jockeys, Jean Blanc, Dou Du Midi, Combe Saulire, Creux, Bel Air, Chapelets.

I'm in the process of marking these runs on my piste maps.

So does anybody else have any particular favourites, and the reasons why they're a favourite (especially any blues, or pleasant greens). Personally, I'm not keen on bumps/moguls, I like my runs smooth, and I also enjoy doing big verticals. I'm of a red/easy black standard (so the couloirs are most definitely 'out of bounds').

Any recommendations would be appreciated!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You might want to consider Suisses from the top of the Vizelle gondola as a "friendly" black esp. after fresh snow and after grooming, and definitely do the Folyeres a blue down to La Tania - a smooth roly poly blue. You can pick up a piste grooming report in La Croisette under the main 3 gondolas at Courchevel 1850 every morning. Without doubt I recommend visiting the Bel Aire restaurant at 1650 for lunch but you have to book as it's very popular - try to get a table on the terrace and go on a sunny day. Enjoy !
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Add Quatre Vents (les Menuires) to the list, but only do the top half don't bother going all the way down to the village.

Also Combe du Laitelet in Mottaret - lovely blue that winds through the trees and always quiet so do not tell anybody else Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
shoneyman,

Add the following to your list - all excellent long blues at Val Thorens - fantastic, fast runs, particularly when pisted:-

- Pluviometre, Mont de la Chambre, Blanchot and Hermine (The last 2 are normally deserted).

Plus the following long (usually deserted) reds:-

- Christine and Boismint.

For a big vertical you can try cruising without stopping from the summit of La Saulire (2738m) to Courchevel 1550 or Le Praz (1300m) - a guaranteed thigh burner! Or the fantastic red descents from Mont du Vallon (mentioned above) will offer you an 800m drop - again both guaranteed thigh burners!!

The 4th Valley above Orelle offers some great skiing and fantastic views and the summits of Cime de Caron and La Masse are a must for the views alone (although they do offer great skiing as well by the way...)

Have a great time and remember to let us know how you get on.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the recommendations folks, I've marked them on the piste maps.

Next thing is to think about places for lunch! As with the good runs, the same mountain restaurants keep getting mentioned again and again. Looking for something not too expensive, but doesn't have to be cheap either. Prefer table service (don't mind having to book in advance), but I've had a few nice self-service meals as well!

Places I like the looks of so far:

Courchevel: Bel Air, Bouc Blanc, Le Roc Tania
Meribel: Adray Telebar, Arpasson, Cretes
Les Menuires/St Martin: Chardon Bleu, Corbeleys, Grand Lac, Chalet Neiges
Val Thorens: Chalet des 2 Ours, Chalet de la Marine

Anyone had any particularly good (or bad) experiences of these restaurants? Anyone got any other recommendations?

I've done quite a lot of research for this holiday, but you can't beat feedback from people that have actually been there!

Cheers guys, only 3 sleeps to go!!! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't know about anyone else but my least favourite lifts in the three valleys are peyron and bouchet over near Orelle, anyone who thinks that slow chairs are a good way to get to 3230m has a sick sense of humour!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shoneyman, also would recommend the Ferme at Reberty / Les Menuires and the Ours Blanc above Les Menuires but that ones a little difficult to find.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Day 1, go from Meribel over to Les Menuires, go and find L'Ours Blanc. Have lunch for an hour, you will love it. If you don't, you're not a normal person that likes food.

Day 2, choose where else you want to go for lunch. Go skiing, get to lunch by 1pm, ski back gradually over the afternoon.

Repeat.

Don't bother with a made up series of runs that you have to find, just work out where you want to go and go there. One thing you are likely to need to do is go in search of good conditions, unless the promised snow happens this week. Meribel was fairly icy and hard work at lower levels at the end of the week last week. Luckily it is very well connected to all kinds of other places by lift so you can find good conditions somewhere not far away.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy