Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamrousse

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking about buying a chalet in Chamrousse for holiday lets and would appreciate any thoughts and advice on a) Chamrousse as a ski location and b) running a chalet in particular whether it is necessary to set up a company (UK or French?) to do this? Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chamers, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead I'm sure you'll get lots of useful information but might be worth clarifying whether you mean to rent out the chalet on a self catering basis or run a chalet yourself, providing meals etc. Two very different propositions. You certainly don't need a company to rent your place out, though you will need to pay French tax and all that goes with it (accountants etc).

Do you know Chamrousse? Have you skied there?

What is your objective? To make money on an investment, or to use rental as a way of offsetting the cost of having your own second home in the mountains? The latter is a good idea, the former not. wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. The initial thinking was to actually run as a chalet ourself as Chamrousse largely seems, at the moment, to be self catering, so thinking was gap in the market etc. I haven't skied there yet but would do so before taking the plunge.

As to the objective, I have been thinking for some time of taking time out from the rat race and doing at least a season anyway and would have had to do some work as couldn't really justify a 6 month skiing jolly. But have now found what seems like a very good buy for a chalet and a friend and I have the money to invest so are trying to decide whether to go for it and run it as a chalet for a season see how we like and if not then the figures also stack up (though with less profit) if we went to letting it self catering. So i guess objective really is lifestyle change!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
chamers, can't comment on the "running a chalet" business (though plenty on snowheads could) but remember that the "catered chalet" is an almost uniquely British concept and British skiers seem to be very conservative about where they go - the same old names come up again and again.

I imagine it's extremely hard work (all those toilets to clean...... 24/7 work.), and would take you several seasons to get properly established; some small independent chalets have been finding life quite hard recently, it seems. Just about breaking even would probably be as much as would be realistic to aim for, at least initially.

Could be a great lifestyle change, though.

There's quite a lot of French regulation - there's been some discussion about that on Snowheads, though I can't find it. If running catering you need to pass exams!! How's your French?

Maybe visit Chamrousse and call in for a chat with the maire?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy