Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Edinburgh airport - baggage question (gasp)

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone flown from recently with Thomson Airways/TUI?

I'm heading off to Innsbruck on Saturday and have paid for ski carriage. Have done this at least once a year for the past 7/8 and never had any issues with weight of my ski bag as the allowance was 32kg in the past.

However looks like they have reduced the max weight to 23kg and having just weighed all our skis, in the bag, we're coming in around 24 kg (before I add poles). So I reckon I'm going to be a couple of kilo's over. But when I called Crystal last week the girl said no max weight as long as just one pair of skis, which is an absolute pile of poo.

I've always found the check in very good and the chap at oversized luggage dead friendly. I've never had any probs in the past but based on another thread I'm now thinking they may charge me, even though we'll be taking way less than the 20kg per person allowance.

Has anyone flown from Edinburgh this season and exceeded the 23kg allowance for their ski/snowboard carriage?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Apparently, Health + Safety Nazi's decided back in January that the poor, overworked, underpaid baggage handlers would no longer have to deal with any luggage over 23kg. Of course it wasn't publicised until you arrived at check-in, in my case, with the usual Board bag, with everything in it at 27kg. Had to swiftly re-arrange the board bag and hand luggage.
This year, i've went back to a non-wheeled board bag that will take 2 boards,1 set of bindings, pair of boots, shovel,probe and hiking poles. Put in 2 pairs of boarding trousers and 1 jacket and lots of large bubble wrap for extra,lightweight protection. Board bag now comes in just under 12kg. Everything else goes in a large lightweight holdall, not a case, and comes in at 11kg.
Basically ,if you can take a ski/board bag with a couple of extra items apart from your equipment, and a holdall (think North Face Base Camp Duffle) with most of your clothes in it, do it. DON'T USE LUGGAGE WITH WHEELS if you can help it. My old board bag weighed 6kg on it's own, new one is only 3kg. Wheeled luggage only eats into your allowance, so if you can do without it, it's a sensible move. Also, make sure you use your 5kg hand luggage allowance. If you carry a backpack on to the plane, and it only weighs 3kg, what can you move from hold luggage to hand luggage.
I'll probably take less clothes from now on, and just make an extra trip or two to the laundrette in Resort.
Until last season, i'd never had an issue with my luggage either. Be playing it safe from now on though. If they want us to use 2 bags instead of 1, so be it.

Enjoy your trip.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've just come back from an Edinburgh/Geneva return trip via Easyjet with a 25kg ski bag with 2 x adult skis, 1 x kids skis and packed out with clothes. The woman at the Easyjet check-in desk in Edinburgh tried to say that it was excess as it was over their "new" limit of 12kg for skis. She backed off when I said that their website stated that the limit was 32kg when I booked. No issues coming back from Geneva. Someone mentioned this 12kg figure to me recently but this is what the Easyjet site is currently saying:

"Sporting equipment
Each passenger is allowed a maximum hold baggage weight of 50 Kgs including any sports equipment, subject to available space. The maximum weight for any single piece of baggage is 32 kgs.
An additional non-refundable fee is charged per item per flight for the carriage of the sporting equipment as set out in the table below:
Currency Per flight (when pre-paid) GBP 18.50 Per flight (paid at the airport) GBP 26.00
Payment of the additional fee increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kgs.
Where your total checked-in hold baggage weighs more than 32Kgs, normal excess baggage charges as set out above shall apply in addition to the above fee."

I expect the limit will be much lower next winter to stop people like us putting a number of skis in each bag for their £39 return charge.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snow_Dog, Backcountryboarder, cheers guys. I put the skis in a Head Monster bag, which weighs 5kg alone. That said I have had 6 pairs of skis, poles and even a couple of pairs of kids skis boots in their, all under the 32kg allowance - have never had an issue. According to the Crystal/Thomson website, changes came in in May last year which looks like the max weight per bag is 23kg. I know that the 32kg max was a H&S isssue in the past, just looks like this has been reduced to 23kg. If I have to pay an excess, I'll just have to pay it - think it works out cheaper than paying for 2 lots of ski carriage.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snow_Dog, the 50kg limit and 32kg for any single bag is absolute and includes an excess payment. Your payment for 1 bag and 1 ski bag gives you a total of 32kg without excess. They do, however, ask you to try to keep it below 23kg per bag if you possibly can. Excess is very expensive (£10 per kg Shocked ).
As has been pointed out repeatedly in other threads you can transfer some of your 20kg bag allowance to your ski bag if you wish. This is a new concession this year.

Edit: boabski the above is easyJet, I don't know about Thompsons.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 11-01-11 11:50; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Snow_Dog, you are probably lucky, you managed to confuse her. The conditions above are the correct ones. I'm not sure what the maximum for skis is before you get charged extra but the 13kg you were above the 12kg you paid for should have been taken off your normal baggage allowance (20kg per person). Was it? If not you should have paid £10 excess per kg.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm flying from Glasgow to Turin on Sunday and hope my luggage limit will be ok!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snow_Dog wrote:
I expect the limit will be much lower next winter to stop people like us putting a number of skis in each bag for their £39 return charge.

It will be if people keep on posting on skiing forums with the same questions about carrying ski equipment over and over again... all it does is highlight the fact to the agencies concerned Puzzled
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Flying out of Edinburgh on Sunday for the first time.. (Weegie here) and just wondering where outsize baggage is? If its anything like Glasgow it may be hidden away, Just making sure I know where I'm going!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gartcoshyy, just to the left beside all the check in desks - dead easy and the guy is always really friendly (think we've had the same chap in the last few trips) - let's the kids press the button etc..
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can't comment about weight and allowances, but I use Edinburgh airport about twice a month for work purposes and can say that they're far more pedantic about luggage and security checks than Heathrow. I asked them once why their metal detector beeped when I went through it when, earlier the same day and wearing exactly the same clothes, the detector in Heathrow didn't beep. "Because we're better" was the answer.

"Scots in pedantic one-upmaship with England Shocker"
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dr John, I've had the same from Gatwick and Chambery when Gatwick said 'they were more thorough'.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We had a similar thing before Xmas. Flew out of Gatwick no issues, but on the return, the airport staff at AdH came across a metal knife and fork in my mates carry on luggage from a previous camping expedition. Not even picked up at Gatwick!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boabski, You on the 0650 flight ? Where are you heading to ? I'm on that flight to get to St Anton.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dr John, it also beeps randomly to ensure random searches as well as when you have something metal, I asked nicely and was told this Little Angel
ski holidays
Sorry misunderstanding....

Deerman, Boabski posted this last season, I used the search facility to bring it up, to save opening a new thread of the same nature.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy