Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please be gentle with me, a helmet thread...

Poster: A snowHead
After two seasons of ski trips to Italy, where outside of children and snowboarders, helmet use is still only a minority, I've just gotten back from Austria where I got a few weird looks for not wearing one. Admittedly this was by far the busiest piste conditions I have encountered since doing a full season nearly 20 years ago, the Austrians and Bavarians were still on holiday and making the most of the good conditions (apparently the western Alps are not currently faring so well). Even allowing for all that I didn't queue for longer than 10 minutes for a lift and I didn't see any piste collisions, their aftermaths or even any near-misses.

Most of the time I don't even like wearing a hat, I have enough hair to keep my head plenty warm enough. However, I was starting to feel a bit like a piste pariah without a helmet. I don't need any lectures about safety this and safety that. I'm happy to decide for myself which risks in life I'm prepared to take. For example, I have never worn a bicycle helmet and I frequently ride a motorcycle without a helmet (although only once on a public road, I'm not an ardent lawbreaker). I put skiing below both of those in terms of risk of damage to my head.

So, just a few general questions before I decide whether I ought to buy myself a ski helmet.

1. Is the sizing the same as motorcycle helmets? My motorcycle helmet is size 55, but only certain brands fit me correctly as shell shapes seem to vary dramatically. Is this also true of ski helmets? Which would indicate that they are not something one can buy online, they need to be tried on first.

2. Why do prices vary from £30 to £120+? Again, my experience is with motorcycle helmets, all have to reach a minimum safety standard to be sold throughout the EU, the increase in price reflects perceived 'superior' brands and features such as plush removable linings, adjustable vents, better quality fasteners, graphics, etc.

3. Are there any nice purple ones (no sniggering at the back of the class)? That might make me like them a bit more.

4. Are they a pain in the doo-dahs to carry around together with skis/poles and all the other paraphernalia? If your head gets too hot and you have to take it off, what the heck do you do with it whilst skiing?

5. Is this just a knee-jerk reaction to seeing 85% of slope users wearing helmets in SkiWelt this week?

6. I like the whole 'wind-in-my-hair' feeling of skiing, would I lose that completely?

7. I much prefer cycle-style helmets. Is there any reason why these would be unsuitable for skiing?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. Is the sizing the same as motorcycle helmets? My motorcycle helmet is size 55, but only certain brands fit me correctly as shell shapes seem to vary dramatically. Is this also true of ski helmets? Which would indicate that they are not something one can buy online, they need to be tried on first.

Probably best tried on, that said I bought both mine on-line and took pot luck. One with an adjuster might be a better option for an online purchase

2. Why do prices vary from £30 to £120+? Again, my experience is with motorcycle helmets, all have to reach a minimum safety standard to be sold throughout the EU, the increase in price reflects perceived 'superior' brands and features such as plush removable linings, adjustable vents, better quality fasteners, graphics, etc.

Neither of my pair have exceeded £20 in cost and both have been fine - yes, they do reach the minimum safety standard

3. Are there any nice purple ones (no sniggering at the back of the class)? That might make me like them a bit more.

I expect so - there are all other colours and designs around, some companies have even formed with a view to offering these

4. Are they a pain in the doo-dahs to carry around together with skis/poles and all the other paraphernalia? If your head gets too hot and you have to take it off, what the heck do you do with it whilst skiing?

My head has never got too hot - I put it on when I go out in the morning, take it off in a restaurant and otherwise when I get back in after skiing

5. Is this just a knee-jerk reaction to seeing 85% of slope users wearing helmets in SkiWelt this week?

Maybe, but don't let that alone stop you

6. I like the whole 'wind-in-my-hair' feeling of skiing, would I lose that completely?

That might be something you have to get used to, but hey! you put up with using a motorcycle helmet don't you?

7. I much prefer cycle-style helmets. Is there any reason why these would be unsuitable for skiing?

You can get vented ski helmets, but a cycle helmet might get you a visit from the fashion police and obviously the standard for cycle helmets standard wise might not meet the minimum standard for ski helmets
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
queen bodecia, Not sure about sizing but my helmet is sized in cms (58-59 Large)

I think you can get coloured ones but probably have to order specially and I bet they'll be the dearer ones.

I was a confirmed non-wearer until a couple of years ago. Can't remember the reason for the change but a lot to do with the OH and kids nagging me to wear one. Now I like it, keeps my head warm and mine has vents which can be opened if my head feels a bit warm.

No problems carrying it around as I plonk on my noggin and stroll off Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
1. Sizing is not the same for any helmet, trying them on is the only way to tell. I'm surprised you havent found that with motocycle helemts.

2. I don't know if its the same for ski lids as it is bike lids but the minimum requirements are really quite ridiculous. Some of the more expensive helmets will conform to stricter requirements which will add to the cost. Higher cost lids will probably be lighter and better vented. Although I think there is a fair amount of brand snobbery going into pricing.

4. Never been too hot wearing the helmet. Mine has plugs that can be removed. A lot seem to have some sort of slidey thing now. No point having a helmet if you're just going to take it off when it gets a bit warm.

5. probably

6. depends how many vents its got and how fast you go

7. They'll look a bit stupid and probably won't be as warm when it gets cold
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have been plagued with the same thoughts for the last couple of weeks......
After 7 seasons and countless weekends up glencoe as a kid I have never entertained the idea of a helmet. However for my wife who is new to skiing, I have made sure that she has a helmet for this years trip.
I felt like a bit of a hypocrite so have been looking at helmets and have tried loads on but just dont like how they feel on my head.....I might rent one whilst on holiday for a day and see if i get used to it......
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
1) Yes, internal shape varies considerably between models/manufacturers. You need to try them on for fit.

2) The more expensive the better the quality and protection on offer. Notable quality brands are Sweet, POC, Giro.

3) I'm sure you can lay your hands on a Purple Helmet.
Toofy Grin

4) Quite a few models have very good ventilation. I can't stand wearing hats, as I don't like the contstricted feeling and my head gets too hot, no problems with a helmet though. Goggle wearing is more comfortable too as you don't get the feeling of a tight strap around your head.

5) No, helmets are much more common now.

6) Try the Giro G10, loads of vents like a cycle helmet.

7) cycle helmets are the wrong shape.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Purple ski helmets
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
queen bodecia, The other thing to check out is that your goggles fit with your ski helmet, sometimes the helmet pushes the goggles down on your nose so breathing is difficult through your nose, you also do not want to have a gap between your helmet and goggles.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spyderman wrote:

Er, what? How did you work that out, they're designed to protect the same parts of your head, why would they be different? Also a lot of helmets are actually just cycling conversion. The Giro 9.9 (now discontinued i think) was just a giro semi and the protec ones are basically the same but with ear pads.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks folks. The only place round here that sells ski helmets is Decathlon, and there's not much choice. I guess it's better to have a look round when I get to Kitzbühel in March.

el nombre, sorry perhaps I wasn't clear. That definitely is the case with motorcycle helmets. They are not something that should be bought without trying them on and getting the right advice. Looks like it's the same for ski helmets.

Megamum, where do you find helmets for £20?

riverman, I would only wear goggles on flat light days, I far prefer wearing sunglasses. I'm not bothered about the 'gaper' thing, I'm a holiday recreational skier, so I probably fit neatly into that category anyway.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
queen bodecia, Sweet Protection did a purple one last season so I'm sure it would be available from somewhere. Not cheap though.

Either way, it's definitely purple.

Also, Giro did the Fuse in purple and it has lots of vents like some cycling helmets.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 9-01-11 16:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum wrote:

You can get vented ski helmets, but a cycle helmet might get you a visit from the fashion police and obviously the standard for cycle helmets standard wise might not meet the minimum standard for ski helmets

POC do a helmet that meets both the cycle helmet standard and the skiing one (as well as kayaking iirc)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sports direct (shops and online - was in their on Friday and they had 'No fear' helmets (nice looking modern design too) in Black or white - adult and child sizes and adjustable band on them for £14 - we own three of them already bought online last year - they are great and the ear pieces don't look as though they will immeniently fall off as some of the vastly expensive (in comparison) Giros, Salomons and other big brands do. They also do Nevica helmets there too but I didn't note the price - it wouldn't have been huge

Online link here - the 'No fear' ones are £17 online and I'm quite prepared to recommend them for that cash. http://www.sportsdirect.com/Products/Default.aspx?DescriptionFilter=helmet%20ski
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
N.B. I was prepared to pay any amount of cash to get one that fitted and didn't look as though it would fall apart, I had tried on endless ones at ski shows and in shops and these were one of the few that fitted me and we amongst the best constructed of those I'd seen
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks again folks. There's actually some reasonable-looking ones (i.e. not the usual black upturned bowl) on those threads. I just need to find out where I can go and try some on.

scotia, love the look of that one but it's way over my budget. However, there's a few on Colin B's links that are a bit more affordable if I can get one that fits.

Megamum, much cheaper than anything EB have to offer, thanks.
ski holidays
Whatever you get, just make sure it fits. I don't know if I'd take a punt buying a helmet off the internet.
snow report
scotia, I definitely won't do that. I work in motorcycling retail as well as my graphic design job. I know how important the right fit is.
snow conditions
queen bodecia, If you've got an Aldi or T K Maxx have a look in there. You probably won't get a purple one but it will be cheap. I think Aldi were selling them for about £17.
ski holidays
scotia, You would be covered under distance selling regs and could always send it back. I found the adjusters on the back of the helmet offered a very good fit. Those No fear ones in the pictures have an adjuster. Myself and my daughter found these were fine. My son got a good fit but reckonned he didn't like the feel of the adjuster. A quick few stitches with a needle and thread and padded piece of black material quickly provided an almost invisible solution to this. His head is renowned for being literally an odd shape though. He is comfortable in the helmet without comment now.
ski holidays
Megamum, sounds like unwanted cost and hassle if it doesn't work out especially when there is no guarantee it would even be close to fitting.
ski holidays
Megamum,
Quote:

A quick few stitches with a needle and thread and padded piece of black material quickly provided an almost invisible solution to this
Now there's a good idea. Thank you! Thinks...where can I lay my hands on a piece of padded material?
latest report
scotia, just because its cheap and available online doesn't mean it won't do the job for some people. There is quite some adjustment in them and if the price is right and it works the OP could be quids in. I bought one to look at and ended up ordering another two once I had tried the first across the family.

[Small rant]Not pointing the finger directly at scotia, here, but sometimes there seems an unwarranted presumption against things just because they are cheap and you can't try before you buy. Yes, with a helmet it can be helpful to be able to try it, but distance selling protects the purchaser in any event and the hassle of a return might be worth the gamble in finding something that suits at the right price. We don't all have more money than sense rolling eyes [/Small rant]

In the case of these helmets the build quality alone makes them worth the price and the adjuster increases the chance of a satisfactory fit.

Hurtle, My kids use and frequently wear out rucksacks. The last time I dumped on I cut off all the straps and buckles and stuffed them in my useful if you never need it drawer (I have dipped into the supplies for all sorts of things). I used a piece of the padded shoulder straps for my modification. If you don't find what you want chances are a rummage in the box of shoulder bags at a charity shop will disgorge a padded strap on a bag that you could cut off for a pound or two.
ski holidays
Megamum, or quids out especially if it doesn't fit it's then a fiver down the pan sending it back. I never said 'do not buy a cheap helmet even if you can go in to a shop and try it', I said just make sure the helmet fits otherwise it could be an uncomfortable experience.

I definitely have more money than sense on occasion (if you haven't had buyers remorse you haven't lived) and it sounds like you do too. I bought a backpack about 4 years ago which I use most days for everything from books to mountain biking and I'm not even close to wearing it out. £80 well spend Very Happy

I'm not averse to buying cheap but I also recognise a need to buy quality goods particularly when they will be getting a lot of use. In fact, my current merino wool thermals are from Lidl and they are far cheaper than the alternative.
snow report
el nombre wrote:
Spyderman wrote:

Er, what? How did you work that out, they're designed to protect the same parts of your head, why would they be different? .

Most aren't designed to accept googles for a start. The ear pad issues you've already mentioned. They tend to have open ventilation, so not so great on cold/snowy days.
I was just trying to keep things simple.
snow report
All the other points ahve been answered, but with regards to cheap vs expensive:

Most of the cheap lids do indeed meet minimum requirements, but these requirements really aren't all that high. Often (but not always) the higher price equates to better, stronger and lighter materials - such as Sweet Protection using re-inforced carbon fibre and EPP (as opposed to the usual EPS) foam. The £20 helmets are likely to be just a plastic shell with some EPS glued in.
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
Thanks folks. The only place round here that sells ski helmets is Decathlon, and there's not much choice. I guess it's better to have a look round when I get to Kitzbühel in March.

Skiwarehouse and EB in Tamworth aren't that far from Derbyshire!
snow report
Hurtle,
Quote:

Thinks...where can I lay my hands on a piece of padded material?

Any old padded bras lying around your place wink Laughing
snow conditions
halfhand, erm, padding not exactly required.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
scotia, sorry, as mentioned I am not getting at you directly, but you seem to have accepted this anyway Very Happy

I guess it depends on whether you think its worth the gamble of a fiver postage to get a lid for £17 vs. having to pay around, lets guess, £40 minimum in a store. (IIRC in theory I think the distance seller is supposed to pick up the postage too aren't they, though many don't inc. the big players like the TV selling channels). I was prepared to take the gamble and it paid off. It is a decision that the OP will obviously make for themselves. When you think about it though there are many, many punters out there that must obviously also make that decision when you look at the amount of helmets of all types that are for sale on the net, not to mention the Holy Grail of SH's - ski-boots, despite all sorts of good advice they must sell online too or the companies would not go to the trouble of offering them for distance buyers. In addtion distance buying makes a lot of sense for those of us stuck in the 'sticks' when I could easily spend £5 petrol driving somewhere only to find that they still don't stock a helmet that will fit me (something I have actually done). Those of you that live within walking or easy transport distance of a EB or S&R or a Decathlon don't realise how lucky you are.
snow conditions
IME very few online retailers pick up the tab for both delivery and returns and those that do tend to be at the upper end of the market or do so as part of a promotion. Unfortunately many online retailers seem to view P&P as another way to make a couple of quid.

Some retailers offer courier pick up service FOC should you wish to return anything.
latest report
queen bodecia, I have the £25 Decathlon in grey and went off the piste at high speed (piste empty and following mad mountain guide at high speed, carving tuck - no braking!!) and dropped into a 25ft wooded ravine. Head banged on ground 2/3 times during descent and helmet worked well, and is unmarked. After conducting user checks of all limbs, skied out after a couple of minutes. Turned out left hand had 2 fractures.

snow conditions
Quote:

Baaaaaaaaaa! Laughing

How do you know the funny looks were down to non-helmet wearing and not some other shocking fashion faux pas? You probably had the wrong colour fake fur round the hood on your onesy.
snow report
Hurtle, Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Embarassed
snow report
Lizzard, this chunky lass would never wear a onesy! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

But you may be right, perhaps I just have the wrong colour hair? Laughing
latest report
Quote:

Spyderman wrote:

Er, what? How did you work that out, they're designed to protect the same parts of your head, why would they be different? Also a lot of helmets are actually just cycling conversion. The Giro 9.9 (now discontinued i think) was just a giro semi and the protec ones are basically the same but with ear pads.

Just a thought and observation on all the lids i've looked at, Ski/boarding helmets seem to offer protection to the top of your neck/rear of the head and side impacts areas a lot more that those of cycle helmets, where as they try to protect top and front zones more.

I've just come back from a weekend trip to Switzerland, there was a lot of helmets on show. Actually it did seem only to be a few of the Brits that didn't have a helmet (myself included until i find the best helmet for me) I'd guess at about 90% helmet use.

AS for a PURPLE lid, try this: http://www.rxsport.co.uk/products/RED-Pure-Ski-Helmet-%252d-Purple.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
After two seasons of ski trips to Italy, where outside of children and snowboarders, helmet use is still only a minority, I've just gotten back from Austria where I got a few weird looks for not wearing one. Admittedly this was by far the busiest piste conditions I have encountered since doing a full season nearly 20 years ago, the Austrians and Bavarians were still on holiday and making the most of the good conditions (apparently the western Alps are not currently faring so well). Even allowing for all that I didn't queue for longer than 10 minutes for a lift and I didn't see any piste collisions, their aftermaths or even any near-misses.

Most of the time I don't even like wearing a hat, I have enough hair to keep my head plenty warm enough. However, I was starting to feel a bit like a piste pariah without a helmet. I don't need any lectures about safety this and safety that. I'm happy to decide for myself which risks in life I'm prepared to take. For example, I have never worn a bicycle helmet and I frequently ride a motorcycle without a helmet (although only once on a public road, I'm not an ardent lawbreaker). I put skiing below both of those in terms of risk of damage to my head.

So, just a few general questions before I decide whether I ought to buy myself a ski helmet.

No idea, but I would not buy online anyway, I found different brands had completely different fits - I can wear most (but not all) Giro helmets but found most other brands very uncomfortable; others have different reactions.

Quote:

There may be some differences - sliding covers for vents, removable ear pads etc, but largely it's down to marketing/style. I tried some cheapo helmets in Decathlon (actually this was for cycling but the same principle applies) and found them uncomfortable, my OH found the cheapo one was just fine and it met all the same standards as the posher ones. If you see a cheap one that you like and it fits well then go for it.

Quote:

No. It is not possble for something to be both "nice" and "purple" at the same time. Smile

Quote:

Not really a pain to carry when not skiing, in fact they are handy for carrying gloves and goggles, and on occasion a four pack of beer. I don't take it off when skiing, when moving I don't find them too warm anyway so only take it off when not skiing.

Quote:

Sounds like it.

Quote:

Yes, how could you not?

Quote:

I suspect they would provide some protection, but would in general be far too well ventilated, and I suspect not provide the same level of protection as a ski specific design.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 9-01-11 23:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
stevos999 wrote:
Quote:

Spyderman wrote:

Just a thought and observation on all the lids i've looked at, Ski/boarding helmets seem to offer protection to the top of your neck/rear of the head and side impacts areas a lot more that those of cycle helmets, where as they try to protect top and front zones more.

That might be true for older style cycle lids and probably still a lot of the roady ones but most recent mountain bike lids come down at the back just as far as ski lids do.

As for Spyderman's point about not designed for goggles, the helmet should still sit in the same position. If you goggles push the helmet to far up the forehead then the suggestion would be to change the goggles. Mountain bikers where goggles with these lids without too much problem. However, yes a specific ski lid will certainly have better features for skiing obviously, I'm not disputing that at all.
ski holidays
Also you could try Sportability in Dronfield if you're near NE Derbyshire. Have a good selection of all kinds of ski gear.... from ex rental to current season
snow conditions
PaulCasey, thanks I'd completely forgotten about that place. Certainly nearer than Tamworth. Didn't they move premises?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy