Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Drive from Zurich to Lech?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone advise what the drive is like from Zurich to Lech? Train and coach times are quite inconvenient for our flights so we think we might hire a car. Is it mainly motorways or we looking at miles of icy switchback turns?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
check out Via Michelin
i think its couple of hours driving
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NoWaffle,
Mainly straightforward with a bit of potentially snowy hilly bit at the end when you climb to Zurs and Lech. Mustn't forget the Austrian motorway sticker at the border.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
NoWaffle, Check out about to hire a car in swiss, and take to Austria, last year I had a friend that take a hire car from swiss to france, and had a accident, there was alot of problem with the incurence,,
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Done it a few times - works ok if you don't mind paying for a car you won't be using all week. If there are a few of you the sums will probably add up though. It's motorways for 95% of the journey.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
NoWaffle, it's motorway and main roads all the way to Stuben.

I drove that last bit over to Lech 4 times during snowy weather in March 09, there are a few switchbacks above Stuben, but the snowiest part of the Flexen Pass is covered to protect it fom avalanches, the road is cleared very regularly as it's the only access to Lech and Zurs, but very occasionally has to close if there's an exceptionally heavy snowfall that takes time to clear. Your car will have snow tyres so should cope well with any residual snow you may encounter.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
depends when you going really, its been very busy the last few weekends and if its snowing and the dutch are about then it takes even longer. In ideal conditions its probably about 2.5hrs
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It might be worth checking how much a private transfer would cost, e.g. with Arlberg Express. It *might* be cheaper than car hire (probably not.... but worth a look as it saves a bit of hassle). Also, check how much parking will cost you at the hotel, hopefully nothing but worth checking...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NoWaffle, I agree with all the above, would just add have done it many times and its very easy and pretty traffic free, not at all like France which is a bind from say Geneva into the Alps, traffic etc. Make sure you buy the Vignette in Lustenau (all gas stations sell them 8€ for the week, theres a small Shell station on RHS as you go through), also make sure the car you hire has got winter tyres and chains, unlikely to need the chains but best to be safe than sorry. Good to have a car because you can drive round to say Nasserein at St Anton, or Rauz and enjoy the day over there rather than thinking of the return trip all day, and also car parks in St Anton are FOC. Dont know about Lech, parking may be a lash, its a car free resort and all underground which usually translates as - we can charge you what we want!

Notwithstanding the above - Have you considered a private or shared mini-bus transfer. There's loads of companies on the web that do them from Arlberg, and they will usually do you a deal, others will likely be getting collected on your flight, ask the question and they'll share the cost? Only reason I say that is by the time you add up car hire (not cheap at Zurich), insurance DW, winter tyres, chains, fuel etc its touch and go re a shared transfer and i'd rather someone else did the driving TBH.

We have driven it many times, but now its expensive (double now what it was 2 years ago) we go on the trains (really easy) but thats to St Anton not Lech, both from Zurich and Munich. the trains are totally different to UK, they run on time, are clean and are cheap (if booked well in advance). You can also get off at Langen and get a taxi from there.

Worth considering even a cheap hotel at airport and an early start if that works, via the train? leave luggage at St Anton station, ski all day left luggage, post bus around at end of day, done that before, first train out of Zurich hits St Anton about 09.30am, right next to Galzigbahn and new Rendlbahn!

Good luck, and enjoy! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the advice - very helpful. The drive sounds OK. There are only two of us so I recognise this won't be the cheapest option (but we are only going Monday to Friday so at least that's fewer days of car hire). It's more for convenience than anything else, since although we are on an early flight to Zurich, on the day we go the Arlberg express coach only runs in the afternoon, and the train to Langden involves two changes and a total journey time of over 4 hours. With a fair wind, we could be in Lech by noon if we drive.

Private transfer looks v.expensive, but will look into sharing options. This might be the answer.

If we do take the train, does anyone know if it's necessary to book tickets/seats and how best to go about this?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NoWaffle, Try this link

http://www.swissrailways.com/index1.php?system+GB&affiliateid=102&gclid=CKy814_msaYCFVBO4QodwSQdaQ
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy