Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easyjet virgin with a couple of questions

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

1. If you do not buy speedy boarding what is the situation when a couple have kids aged 5 and 1 if there's no adjacent seats?

2. Is there any point to online check-in if you have to drop off hold bags anyway?

3. Is it best to be at check in earlier than when it opens?

4. Any other top tips / warnings? It's Gatwick - Innsbruck.

5. With car hire at INN, do you generally have to go to a desk or is there a little man holding up a card with your surname on it?

Cheers for any responses Little Angel

Owen
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. They usually board families first, so don't worry

2. No

3. No point

4. Take a drink/snack for the kids, and maybe yourself, rather than buying theirs.

5. Never hired a car at INN but would imagine you go to a desk - I've hired cars at lots of airports and never had a little man holding up card except when I'd ordered a taxi. Might be worth one of you dashing through to car hire desk whilst other waits for baggage - there can sometimes be quite a few people in the queue.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, as pam w but would add to 5. that Inns is a tiny airport and easy to find 'Information' or the car hire desks
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
1 Speedy boarders will be boarded first, then normal passengers and then people with ankle biters. You will normally sit anywhere and you children will be held in a cage at the back.

2 No

3 Yes, at least 2 hours before it is due to open.

4 Take a portable DVD player. If you are seated near the back this will drown out the crying of the children in the cage.

5 There will be a little Austrian man holding up a name board, waving your car keys at you and he will have a bottle of champagne under his arm, a gift to thank you booking with them.

Enjoy your skiing holiday
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you are two adults and two kids there is a sure fire way of getting two pairs of seats. Put the kid anywhere (single seat, middle of three, whatever) and then say to the little darling (handing a sick bag to one of the adjacent passengers) "if you feel ill like you did last time tell this man and he will hold the sick bag for you". You'll never have seen anyone move so fast (not even the guys trampling all in their path in an effort to get the emergency row.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bar shaker wrote:

3 Yes, at least 2 hours before it is due to open.

I hope that is said in jest!

Getting to check-in much before it is open is pointless: you'll just get hang around for that time. Getting there 2 hours before it opens is madness. This kids will be even more bored than they are going to be anyhow.

For most flights, regardless of where you are going, 1.5 hours before departure gives you plenty of time to get through the formalities and means you don't spend hours and hours just hanging around (as I am now: stuck in BHX with a 5hr delay Skullie )
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
owen4220, I have found that Easyjet are variable in the way they treat families. To be safe, what you could do is book speedy boarding for either just you or just your wife, with the others following on behind - to do that you would have to make the bookings in two hits. We've done that before.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
With my experience of easyjet they do speedy boarding first. Then they will call families next. Don't bother with buying it, pointless if you ask me.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
be worth checking if the flight departs from a stand or somwhere out on the tarmac, if its on a stand then the speedy boarding is possibly marginally worth it, If you have to get on a bus then dont bother.

With kids of that age Im sure there are some IATA regs that require you to be sat together anyway which is partially why they board families first on flights with no reserved seating
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
owen4220 wrote:
Hi

1. If you do not buy speedy boarding what is the situation when a couple have kids aged 5 and 1 if there's no adjacent seats?

With a one year old you'll be called for after the speedy boarders, and before the masses

Quote:
2. Is there any point to online check-in if you have to drop off hold bags anyway?

Yes.
There's a separate bag drop at LGW for online check in pax. It's often much shorter than the normal queue.

Quote:
3. Is it best to be at check in earlier than when it opens?

nope.

Quote:
4. Any other top tips / warnings? It's Gatwick - Innsbruck.

Ensure that you have enough milk for the infant that she/he can drink on descent, it helps to clear their ears.
Don't worry about a screaming infant - it helps to clear their ears. The other pax will not like you. They'll get over it.
Pick up the mess from the floor that your 5 year old has made - the cabin crew will thank you for it - there's no cleaners during the day.
Change nappies in the toilets. Each once has a changing table. Your fellow pax will not thank you for the nappy smell whilst they're consuming their ham and cheese melts. If you are daft enough to do so, then please don't leave the dirty nappy in the seat pocket. The cabin crew will not thank you for it.
Be nice to the cabin crew Little Angel
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
please don't leave the dirty nappy in the seat pocket

That had to come from the heart . . . go on flower, how many have you found?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Speedy boarding. I've heard that this can be negated where you have to be bussed to the aircraft. Although you get called to board first, everyone still gets on the same bus! I'm sure someone will be along where this method of getting from the terminal to the aircraft is the norm.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My daughter, son and infant flew from Geneva to Gatwick last week. They checked in just over an hour before the flight was due to leave but security etc took a while and when they arrived at the gate the bus with "families" had already gone, but there was no problem as the baby was on a lap anyway. She had a bad cold actually, but fortunately wasn't affected by the descent and sat and waved and smiled at everyone around her.

From my own past experience breastfeeding during descent is ideal for a little one. If your fellow passengers don't like it, they can order a coffee. wink

We had done a nappy in the car on arrival. Changing a nappy on such a short hop shouldn't often be necessary; modern disposables can cope with all but the most gigantic poo for 1.5 hours!

As I have written on previous threads about easyJet I am a fan - I rarely fly myself, these days, but we do heaps of Geneva picking up and dropping. There is rarely a problem, and when there has been (e.g. flights cancelled, airport closed due to snow) the airline has dealt with it well. Of course things can go badly wrong, but given the vast number of flights, they don't often.

Michelle, we were wondering about online check in last week. We have no printer here so it wasn't an option, but can you explain what happens if, having checked in online, you then don't make the flight (breakdown, snow, accident, heart attack, etc etc). The one time I missed my easyJet flight (from Nice) I was put on the next one, with no fuss and no extra cost, which I thought was remarkable. What would have happened had I checked in online?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
owen4220, I've just done GAT-INN, about 2 days ago, they boarded speedy first then people with kids under 5, then the rest of 'em, so as long as they know the age of the kids you should be fine Smile

We got there about half an hour after check-in opened and there was no queue.

With Gatwick if you have small kids they'll possibly send you through the 'assistance' departures/security route as its quicker. Especially if you have a pram.

No idea about car hire I'm afraid, we got line F bus into town (the driver spoke excellent English and was very helpful) and then the next morning got the train to resort.

BMF_Skier, it's boarding via a walkway to the aircraft at Gatwick Smile

to the OP (original poster), enjoy yourself!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
owen4220, you've really had the definitive answer from Michelle, but largely to reiterate, it's speedy passengers first, then children under 5, then others, sometimes bag drop queues are shorter than check-in but not always, and if your flight's full then getting there before the desks open might mean a shorter overall standing in line waiting time.
snow conditions
and if Easyjet are going to have to ask 34 passengers to get off the plane because they have too much fuel on board, it is those that checked in last that will be ditched wink
snow report
Masque wrote:
Quote:
please don't leave the dirty nappy in the seat pocket

That had to come from the heart . . . go on flower, how many have you found?

Oh... too many to count Twisted Evil
pam w, that, I'm afraid I don't know.
ski holidays
BMF_Skier, yes, you're supposed to go to the front of the bus, and they'll open the doors at the front first!
snow report
RobW wrote:

I hope that is said in jest!

All of it.

I was amazed that the OP had never flown before.
ski holidays
What always amuses me is people who've paid for speedy boarding,..to get on the bus that takes you to the plane first...
ski holidays
Quote:

What always amuses me is people who've paid for speedy boarding,..to get on the bus that takes you to the plane first...

It amazes me that anyone pays for it, ever, especially for a hop, skip and jump flight to the Alps. Can you imagine the easyJet marketing chaps sitting round in a meeting, generating ideas for making more money "I know, how about we charge some people a lot of extra cash, so they can spend longer sitting on the aircraft prior to getting to their destination at the same time as everyone else".

Sitting together with tiny children makes sense (but you can do that anyway, without paying extra).

There's nowt so queer as folk.
ski holidays
We always get speedy boarding when flying Easyjet (though never fly from or into anywhere that requires bussing to the plane and would check before flying to a new airport).

We never take hold luggage on those trips, so first off the plane and straight out the airport no faffing or waiting... but, much more importantly, OH is 6ft5, hates flying, and is infinitely more comfortable and happier sitting in the front row with no legroom restrictions.
snow report
 brian
brian
Ray Zorro wrote:
To be safe, what you could do is book speedy boarding for either just you or just your wife, with the others following on behind

You cheeky monkey! Someone tried to do that on a flight I was on last year, one speedy boarder who tried to claim almost the whole exit row for her and her 4 following friends.

"These seats are taken."

"Not without bums in them, they're not!"

rolling eyes
snow conditions
miranda, I am not aware you get off the plane any quicker with speedy boarding Puzzled
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
miranda, I am not aware you get off the plane any quicker with speedy boarding Puzzled

If you sit in the front you will be. Very Happy
latest report
rayscoops, she did say she sat at the front, get your specs on Cool Very Happy
snow report
If you were 6'2" and 15st you'd feel £8 was well worth a front seat Laughing

Not to mention bypassing 4 planes worth of people at 3 checking desks Embarassed

And yes, you're normally told which door will open by the plane if bussed, so you can be by it!
snow conditions
Car hire at Innsbruck is very east indeed. Pick up your luggage head for the exit doors about 20 meters away - there is only one way out. Turn right after you exit the doors and another set of doors takes you out to the bus stops. Cross the road and 40 metres straight across is another building , all the car hire offices are on the ground floor there. From picking up your cases to the car hire office should take no more than 90 seconds walk - honest
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Car hire at Innsbruck is very east indeed

So remember to take your compass to make finding it easier Toofy Grin
ski holidays
If your taking your own skis to Innsbruck, don't look for them in baggage, you will find them sitting out in the carpark. rolling eyes
latest report
Quote:

one speedy boarder who tried to claim almost the whole exit row for her and her 4 following friends.

Twisted Evil

Travelling without hold baggage is pretty fast however you do it. I once got from plane to sitting in my car switching on the ignition in about 5 minutes at Chambery. No "immigration", car parked (free) within yards of the door. I once spent 6 weeks travelling in the Pacific (work) with hand baggage only. Bliss!
ski holidays
I travel a lot on Easyjet/ryanair and as a solo traveller I've never bothered with speedy boarding...
Since people travel mainly in couples I find I can get on the front row because most people want to sit together.
The other one is that wierdly the front left seat can be completely free - but I ask the steward if its ok to sit there and I always seem to get a yes. (Have seen them say no to others so I wonder if its because they want someone who looks like they could cope with opening the emergency door in case of a problem - knowing me tho I would go to pieces if it actually happened but I guess i look like a safe pair of hands!!!)
ski holidays
pam w wrote:

Travelling without hold baggage is pretty fast however you do it. I once got from plane to sitting in my car switching on the ignition in about 5 minutes at Chambery. No "immigration", car parked (free) within yards of the door. I once spent 6 weeks travelling in the Pacific (work) with hand baggage only. Bliss!

I've never got out of the airport quite that quickly, although it was about 15 minutes coming back through East Midlands in October.

But what I have done twice now when coming back from Jersey isto leave the car park at St Ouen's beach 35 (last but one) or 30 (last time) minutes before the time the boarding pass said we should be at the gate, and made it (including dropping off hire car) with time for a quick whizz round duty free.
ski holidays
Chambery is a bit unusual. I got off the plane on "autopilot", not really paying attention, actually looking for the loo, and suddenly realised I was out in the lobby thing, ready to go out to the carpark, and there had been no "immigration" check. That, plus free parking right outside the door, was a bit special - but it was a quiet Tuesday night. I gather it can be very different on a busy Saturday. alex_heney, that sounds a bit "skin of the teeth"!
snow conditions
mountain mad wrote:
I wonder if its because they want someone who looks like they could cope with opening the emergency door in case of a problem - knowing me tho I would go to pieces if it actually happened but I guess i look like a safe pair of hands!!!)

http://youtube.com/v/w_Mn0eWgumg
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
rayscoops, she did say she sat at the front, get your specs on Cool Very Happy

no she didn't, she said it was more comfy for her hubby in the front row NehNeh so first off the plane only if the other speedy boarders do not jump in to the front seats trying to do the same !
snow conditions
rayscoops, I'm always the first on the plane when flying Easyjet, last on the plane when flying BA (so you can see what seats are still empty and sit in them if they are preferable to the one you're booked in). Having had to fly a lot for work over the years, I have a system worked out for different airports and airlines. Sad, but true.
latest report
miranda, so there is no preference given to speedy boarders in getting off the plane first, except that you have to run to get on the plane first to get a front seat wink which includes the lottery of the bun fight with the other speedy boarders with the same intention !! NehNeh
ski holidays
rayscoops, It's quite simple to avoid a bun fight. Pay 6-8 quid for speedy boarding and just head straight to the gate as soon as it's announced (seeing as you don't have to queue to check in, there's plenty of time to do all your airport faff before the gate comes up). Besides, although I'm always the first one there, without the need to run or elbow, there are 6 seats at the front. But, I've never contradicted you on your points above and am quite happy to say, yes, you're absolutely correct, if that makes you happy Laughing
ski holidays
miranda, you obviously have not tried the speedy 'bus' boarding and unboarding at Bristol wink !
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy