Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stopping when you fall

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Once you get it wrong on a steep run, is there a proper way to stop yourself. It never really occurred to me before, but I watched a woman fall on the first stage down from the Three Valley Peak run in Orelle. She was head first gathering speed towards a large drop, and looked like she was missing the safety fence. She missed the fence, but hit a deep drift and stopped. About 2 minutes later an instructor came down with a group of adults. One of the group fell over, took out the instructor and slid to the catch netting. Instructor had lost one ski, but he basically just stood up, put on the lost ski and continued like it was dead flat. Is there a technique to stop yourself, or is it just experience and confidence?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Our instructor advised if you find yourself on your belly facing uphill, then try to do a press up, at the same time gradually digging your toes in. It only works when you're on your front, if you're on your back and dig in your heels it will flip you round (as my OH found on a very icy section of men's downhill in Lake Louise- he managed to do the whole top run on his chest - I had to laugh at the snowboarder stood at the top of the run, pointing at my OH, exclaiming "whoa dude, look at him go!!" (Though only once assured OH was ok of course)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Here are two previous discussions of the topic:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=27990
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=28170

Also, try Googling for "self arrest site:snowheads.com"

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 8-01-11 23:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
worst is trying to get your ski on in a steep bit in powder....any tips?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shimmy Alcott, stick your ski upright, but at a bit of an angle in the pow and click in
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thornyhill, Like Adrian, said but to speed things up try http://www.epicski.com/wiki/self-arrest-techniques. I found the reference on a Snowheads thread and had to try it on a steep icey run when I took a tumble and it really works.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Interesting reading, good to know
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I echo the press up idea. It may take a couple of goes, but it works.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shimmy Alcott, as holidaylover says in powderpu your tail of the ski in at about a 45 degree angle andyou can snap straight in. only found that one out last year after 25 years of skiing when the guide got sick of me struggling Embarassed
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Curtains, Pull yourself together. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thornyhill, As with ice axe braking.. practice somewhere steep but with a safe run out. Mental preperation is no match for actual experience.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy