Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bad experience with *** *****

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Johnnyseven, what a shame. Interesting what Cathy said about her friend still being insured despite the policy having finished. Has your girlfriend checked with her insurer. I find it hard to believe - but can't see why Cathy would say it otherwise Puzzled

I would also seek a second opinion from another doctor regarding the flying, see loads of people on planes with casts on from skiing accidents. Remember one epic trip where there was a whole row of guests in wheelchairs in Chambery with casts on Shocked Laughing

achilles, I've seen plenty of people in casts on planes and never seen one with a whole row of seats to themselves - were you a particular cause for concern re. DVT?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Your GF broke her ankle, you have no insurance, you're trying to change your holiday from a quiet week to a much busier one at short notice and the company won't. IMHO that's not their fault, they're just sticking to their T&C's to which you agreed.

And depending on the nature of your GF's ankle fracture, she might be lucky to get back on the slopes come February. I'm currently stuck at home with a broken ankle (happened 6 weeks ago today) and still NWB (appointment for Wednesday where, fingers crossed the bone's healed fine, the cast will come off and I can start to learn to walk again). Just because the doc has said initially that she'll be in a cast until 2nd Feb doesn't mean that it'll come off then, it depends on how well it heals. She may then go from NWB to PWB to FWB, depends on the doc and nature of the injury. Either way, she's not going to be walking out the hospital as soon as the cast comes off, it'll take time for her to get used to walking and build up strength/ROM/confidence in her injured leg/ankle. You can fly with a cast on, they just have a temporary one on with a slit up the front to allow for the leg/ankle to swell, which it will do. I flew back home with mine (Munich-Manchester) not long after breaking it and it swelled up on the flight making it uncomfortable and also slightly painful (even with painkillers).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Monium wrote:
Final suggestion - have you considered taking a different girlfriend? Always worth having a backup for these situations, and a free ski holiday as a start to the relationship is a big incentive for all the single girls out there

It's a good idea, however I quite like my girlfriend.

She may also insist on some exorbitant cancellation charge Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shimmy Alcott, depends on the nature of the cast, people in a full leg one would be unable to sit at a normal arline seat. I had 3 seats to myself owing to the fact I had only just broken my ankle which was still fairly swollen to begin with. Sitting in an airline seat with my leg down for the flight would've made it much worse, was bad enough even with it up on the seats next to me.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Johnnyseven,

I would also seek a second opinion from another doctor regarding the flying, see loads of people on planes with casts on from skiing accidents. Remember one epic trip where there was a whole row of guests in wheelchairs in Chambery with casts on Shocked Laughing

achilles, I've seen plenty of people in casts on planes and never seen one with a whole row of seats to themselves - were you a particular cause for concern re. DVT?

Presumably these were insured people, not travelling without insurance against doctors advice. For all you know they were also being anti-coagulated
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It's apparently pretty standard in Europe for the docs to prescribe something along the lines of heparin (anti-coagulant) to people in casts, mostly just for lower limbs although some do give it for upper limbs too. It's expensive which is probably why they tend not to do it over here. Queried this when I first saw the orthopaedic doc here in the UK as I had been prescribed the injections by the Austrian doc (almost 60 Euros just for 10).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have to say I'd be in two minds about flying home if I had a very fresh trauma like a leg break or ACL. I'd probably find another way (obviously trickier from north america, japan etc). From what I understand (and I'd like to hear the opinion of our resident docs) DVT, strokes and other nasties can strike even young fit folks despite drugs, especially where skier type injuries to legs are involved. I'm told a week, if not 10 days, is the appropriate wait before flying (especially long haul) but people are understandably in more of a hurry to get home so rarely wait.

This http://www.flighthealth.org/those-at-risk-of-dvt.htm specifically mentions injuries and surgery to lower limbs.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When my son broke his ankle it was many, many, weeks before he could even get around reasonably, let alone ski - and he is one tough cookie. He was operated on in Austria, and the local docs in Portsmouth said the work there had been very well done, but it continued to be uncomfortable and with limited mobility and in the end he opted for a second op to get all the ironmongery taken out. He couldn't have contemplated putting on a ski boot for months.

My daughter in law had 3 seats to herself, on a BA scheduled flight from Lyon, when she did her knee in Les Gets. She had no cast but full leg brace thing. She also had private ambulance door to door both the French and UK ends, as she couldn't sit up in a car. Must have cost the insurance a fortune.

Sister in law did her knee - daftly turned up at Geneva to get on her busy easyJet flight to Luton, also in full leg brace and not having been in touch with her insurers. rolling eyes Easyjet wouldn't fly her, as they didn't have enough empty seats on that flight, but were able to get her on one the following day - without extra charge I think, though it cost them a night in a Geneva hotel.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shimmy Alcott, I have absolutely no idea. I simply did what I was told. I can't imagine snowcard permitted it without due cause. FWIW, I have not seen loads of people in casts on aircraft (though I have flown with a ridegewalker splint thing on my leg. I have flown transatlantic with a broken fibula - though I didn't know I had that, I just thought I had a sprained ankle. The comment from my orthopedic consultant mate was that it was just as well I didn't know, as had I - and hence medics - known, I might not have been allowed to fly.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
genepi wrote:
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Johnnyseven,

Presumably these were insured people, not travelling without insurance against doctors advice. For all you know they were also being anti-coagulated

Nothing to say she cant get re-insured so long as she informs them of the ankle and she has a doctors approval. I know nothing about the situation, just exploring options. I wouldnt have thought twice about not being able to fly as I've seen so many people with casts fly. If it was me I'd explore all options to get out there if I was going to lose 80% of my money not going. Id find a nice log fire to sit in front and read all day (or somewhere with free wi-fi Cool )
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I suppose it depends a bit how much pain and discomfort she's in - not much fun going on holiday, coping with strange bathrooms, funny chalet staircases etc etc, if it's really sore.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
I surppose it depends abit how much pane and disscomfort shes in

Exactly.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy