Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bad experience with *** *****

Poster: A snowHead
I'm a newbie on here and I hope i'm not posting this in the wrong place but I wanted to make fellow skiers/snowboarders aware of a bad experience I and my girlfriend have had with a ski holiday company called *** *****.

Just before Christmas my girlfriend broke her ankle, we were due to go skiing/snowboarding in 2 weeks time and unfortunately her yearly travel insurance policy expired 2 days before her accident. She has to have her leg in plaster until the 2 Feb and we were trying to get *** ***** to let us move our holiday to later in Feb so she can still come along. *** ***** still have availability at our accomodation during the most suitable week in Feb for us to go however they are refusing to move the booking without us totally cancelling our original booking (an surrendering 80% of what we paid) and totally rebooking another holiday with them. It would be no skin off their nose to move our holiday and we would be more than willing to cover any admin fees associated but it just seems reallt tight fisted and heartless to do this. I guess there reasoning is that most people will have insurance so they would get the payment for the original week booked from the insurance company plus payment for the rescheduled week - therefore doubling their money. Furthermore, the booking was dealt with through a travel agent and to see if we could sort it by speaking to *** ***** direct my girlfriend called and spoke to someone called ****** there who was uneccesarily rude an particularly nasty to her which upset her immensely.

I know this situation was caused by her not having vaild insurance, but I have dealt with a number of ski holiday companies in the past who have been very accomodating when problems ahve arisen and been very polite and proffesional at the same time. I for one will go out of my way to avoid using this company ever again.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 7-01-11 23:18; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Johnnyseven, you do realise Feb is peak with most schools being on holiday don't you? Perhaps it isn't as simple as you think for them to move you to a peak week?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Johnnyseven, I sympathise with your predicament but (apart from staff being rude) I really don't think you've got any casue for complaint. You are essentially asking for a cancellation in line (I'll bet) with their T&Cs. You did not have insurance. Insurance would not "double your money". If you had to cancel then you'd only get the cost of that holiday back, if you then chose to spend it on booking another holiday that would be your decision.

A peak week in Feb would cost a lot more than earleir in the year - did you offer to pay the difference? They may not be able to re-sell your week at the same price as you paid - did you offer to cover their losses?

A lesson in keeping your policy up to date harshly learned I would say.

BTW I have no connection with Ski Total but had a fab holiday with them 2 years ago.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes I do, however the week we are looking at isn't half term and they still have availability for the accomodation were originally staying at. We also offered to pay any additional charges for any difference in cost of accomodation and any associated admin fees.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Johnnyseven, welcome to snowHeads

quick question, what do you think they could/would do with your cancelled booking ? very difficult to fill it at 2 weeks notice in Jan so they might lose out on it if they moved your booking to a later time. It is a shame but I can understand their stance.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Johnnyseven, sorry to hear of your predicament, you must be very disappointed. It's a shame that Ski Total can't be a little more accommodative, it seems like they are sticking to the T & Cs.

I suppose they are reluctant to just do a straight swap as they will end up having to sell your January holiday at a big discount to shift it this late. Whereas they may still sell the late Feb holiday you want at near brochure price, so they will end up losing money if they just swap you over.

Maybe there's a compromise where you can compensate them for their potential loss, but I guess it would be at their discretion and goodwill, so you will have to ask nicely and appeal to their better nature.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you're moving a holiday due in 2 weeks to a peak week, not only might they stand to lose the difference in value by accommodating you then, but also have the prospect of an empty place that they potentially may not be able fill. There's no excuse for them to be rude, even if provoked (not saying that's the case), but I don't see that you or your girlfriend have a leg to stand on I'm afraid.

Edit: sorry, missed your last post re paying any difference.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Try a "no show" at the Airport & claim on your insurance ... maybe a car breakdown or missed train ...

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Johnnyseven, Unlucky twice. My sympathies. It's a good few years since I used a TO and I never had to cancel/move a holiday when I did. But this does seem a little crazy to me. The Feb weeks will be more expensive so I would expect them to change the difference plus a hefty "admin" charge but really to turn you down completely is out of order IMO. Two things to perhaps try. If you booked by CC see if they will refund, as IIRC some of them insure for that kind of thing or 2) will Ski Titface's let you amend the names on the booking (presumably with an admin fee). If so, sell it on to somebody and use the proceeds to rebook. Best of luck,
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
holidayloverxx wrote:
Insurance would not "double your money". If you had to cancel then you'd only get the cost of that holiday back, if you then chose to spend it on booking another holiday that would be your decision.

Thanks for your comments but I wasn't referring to us doubling our money but the fact that if we had been able to claim on insurance *** ***** would have received payment for the original week we booked plus payment when we re-book for the re-scheduled holiday, therefore receiving monies for 2 weeks of holiday but only having to provide 1. I don't know how these things work but they may have even been able to re-sell our original week, but then maybe not.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 7-01-11 23:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Johnnyseven, actually, Layne has a good point - are you sure you don't have "hidden" travel insurance with anyone else, a credit card or bank account maybe?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chasseur wrote:
your girlfriend have a leg to stand on I'm afraid.

Ouch, was that an intentional pun Chasseur? wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Johnnyseven wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:
Insurance would not "double your money". If you had to cancel then you'd only get the cost of that holiday back, if you then chose to spend it on booking another holiday that would be your decision.

Thanks for your comments but I wasn't referring to us doubling our money but the fact that if we had been able to claim on insurance Ski Total would have received payment for the original week we booked plus payment when we re-book for the re-scheduled holiday, therefore receiving monies for 2 weeks of holiday but only having to provide 1. I don't know how these things work but they may have even been able to re-sell our original week, but then maybe not.

Aah - I get it, sorry wasn't with you at first
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Layne wrote:
Johnnyseven, Unlucky twice. My sympathies. It's a good few years since I used a TO and I never had to cancel/move a holiday when I did. But this does seem a little crazy to me. The Feb weeks will be more expensive so I would expect them to change the difference plus a hefty "admin" charge but really to turn you down completely is out of order IMO. Two things to perhaps try. If you booked by CC see if they will refund, as IIRC some of them insure for that kind of thing or 2) will Ski Titface's let you amend the names on the booking (presumably with an admin fee). If so, sell it on to somebody and use the proceeds to rebook. Best of luck,

Why are you being demeaning about the TO? What exactly have they done wrong? Where is their mistake/error? Do you have an axe to grind with this company?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scratch the CC thing. I remember now that only works if there is a supply side prob, not a prob your side.
ski holidays
luigi wrote:

Maybe there's a compromise where you can compensate them for their potential loss, but I guess it would be at their discretion and goodwill, so you will have to ask nicely and appeal to their better nature.

My girlfriend tried to do this but that was when they were rude and nasty to her.

I obviously realise that they have their T&C's and they have every right to stick to them but when we're willing to cover any costs it wouldn't hurt for them to look into the situation rather than just point blankedly refusing to help us in any way.
ski holidays
Sorry but I think it is a case of your bad luck. Your girlfriend's policy expired - take some responsibility.
snow report
Johnnyseven, could you ask them if they would let you move to a week in March, and see if it's just Feb causing the issue? Maybe politely ask to speak to a manager if they still say no???
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
will Ski Titface's let you amend the names on the booking (presumably with an admin fee). If so, sell it on to somebody and use the proceeds to rebook. Best of luck,

Well this is what we're now trying to do. I friend has agreed to 'buy' the holiday from my girlfriend for a heavily reduced price (better than getting 20% back which is what they were offering, but then if I still went they wanted to charge me a single occupency fee for the room so wouldn't be worth it anyway) and they want a £75 'admin fee' to change the name on the tickets.
snow report
Quote:
Why are you being demeaning about the TO? What exactly have they done wrong? Where is their mistake/error? Do you have an axe to grind with this company?

Never used them but have a general dislike for corporate TO's and like to demean the way they demean their customers (I have used others of a similar ilk in years gone by) Skullie

Do you have any axe to grind? Do you think TO's need you patrolling the websphere in their defence Puzzled

Quote:
Where is their mistake/error?

Err not allowing a customer to move their holiday dates at any price.. even though they have availability and the punter has good reason...
snow conditions
Layne, thats not a mistake or an error.

To be honest I can't see Johnnyseven's girlfriend being able to ski until next year now. She won't be able to have have full movement/strength straight after the pot comes off.
snow report
Johnnyseven, why woudl they want to charge you single occuapncy for the room - would you not be sharing with your mate?
snow report
Mosha Marc, she wasn't going to ski, I think, just go on the holiday
snow report
holidayloverxx, can't she do that now?

My Mrs broke her ankle in July, we went on holiday three days later.
snow report
Layne wrote:
Quote:

Never used them but have a general dislike for corporate TO's and like to demean the way they demean their customers (I have used others of a similar ilk in years gone by) Skullie

Do you have any axe to grind? Do you think TO's need you patrolling the websphere in their defence Puzzled

Quote:
Where is their mistake/error?

Err not allowing a customer to move their holiday dates at any price.. even though they have availability and the punter has good reason...

With an unqualified demeaning of a business, that is a legitimate question IMO. And nothing at all to do with defending the TO or their right to apply their Ts & Cs. Neither was it a comment on whether they have exercised good CR or not.
latest report
Johnnyseven, please change the post title, your girlfriend has had a bad experience, yes, but that is the broken leg and that is nothing to do with with TO.

please too...think about it...the TO cannot get insurance for your girlfriend breaking a leg - only you can. And if they thought they could fairly easily resolve your problem they would have...they are as human as we are...and are smoetimes rude when put under stress...was your girlfriend rude or agressive witht he TO rep..it would be understandable
latest report
Wildsmith, I agree the post title is misleading
snow conditions
Layne,
Quote:

Err that price would already be set out in the terms (under cancellation)? Trouble is, everyone has a good reason. Its an interesting question, though, if someone is not willing to pay the lowest price you are willing to accept, are they still a customer?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Johnnyseven
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Sorry but I think it is a case of your bad luck. Your girlfriend's policy expired - take some responsibility.

Rayscoops wrote:
quick question, what do you think they could/would do with your cancelled booking ? very difficult to fill it at 2 weeks notice in Jan so they might lose out on it if they moved your booking to a later time. It is a shame but I can understand their stance.

Spot on.

1) You don't ensure you have proper insurance
2) You expect them to swap around a week they almost certainly won't sell for one they almost certainly will... leading to a financial loss for them
3) You then come here with the sole purpose of slagging them off - with a thread title which is rather unfortunate.
4) I also wonder what the chances are of you getting insurance for your GF to ski 2 months after an ankle fracture - given that she has lapsed her insurance and will have to declare it to any new insurer.

Rudeness - if it occurred - to customers (and we are only hearing one side of the story) is not on. It would have been nice if they could have helped you - but they are not a charity.

But I think you have gone too far here and need to change the thread title - remembering that you are legally liable for any defamation.

BTW - I have no affiliation or connection with Ski Total - who I have never used, and am normally a bit anti Tour operators in general.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 7-01-11 19:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I agree. Ski Total have done nothing wrong. They are highly unlikely to be able to sell that week at just 2 week's notice in the quiet period in January. They are highly likely to be able to sell the week in late Feb. Why should they lose out?

Johnnyseven, have you actually checked your insurance company won't pay out? A snowHead had to cancel their ski trip to Canada last year because of a medical condition, after their annual policy had expired. The insurance company still paid up.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 7-01-11 19:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I'd also like to see the thread title changed, if for no other reason than it seems to attract anti TO trolls, although most rational people would see through that particular one.
ski holidays
Quote:

I'd also like to see the thread title changed, if for no other reason than it seems to attract anti TO trolls, although most rational people would see through that particular one.

+1
ski holidays
I actually think what you are asking is fairly reasonable, depending on what the cost to them actually is, and assuming you are prepared to live with the financial cost of moving the trip. They can, however, stick to their Ts & Cs, but as we see from your post, lose a customer for a lifetime.

If they are offering to refund 20% of the cost, they will sell the holiday for significantly more than that (plus the profit they will make when you move it to a later week) unless the holiday remains completely unsold.

You would be better off selling the holiday to someone else, and paying the admin fee, though £75 sounds like a lot of money - I use a TO regularly that charged £35 for changes that were happening 2 weeks before we left due to injury.

Might be worth ringing back and speaking to someone more senior than the chump you spoke to that was rude. I don't believe that anyone in a customer facing role should ever put themselves in a position where they could be described as rude - assertive by all means, but this sounds a bit off.

As above though, I don't think your gf is going to be up to skiing/boarding so soon after an injury, I would move the trip to next season.

You're also pretty silly not having any travel insurance but paying out thousands to go on a trip, though millions of people do this every year and some suffer the consequences in a similar fashion.
ski holidays
Johnnyseven, I would remove the reference in your post to a named individual at the TO.
snow report
anarchicsaltire wrote:
Johnnyseven, I would remove the reference in your post to a named individual at the TO.

I wouldn't. The guy did a crap job of customer service. He shouldn't be in a customer facing role.

Plus he has almost certainly made that name up, probably as a result of interactions like the above.
snow report
Monium, we have heard one side of this only. I could post links to threads on other forums where an OP with a complaint about service was proven to be wrong, rude and whinging.

We just don't know the whole story and that name ought to come out - and why specify a made-up name?
ski holidays
Shocked Shocked Shocked you have a chance to go skiing with your mate and the perfect excuse and you are complaining if i was you i d buy the TO a drink
Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
If I was the TO I would let you swap dates but charge you one hell of an admin fee.

This isn't their fault, it's yours for not having insurance. I did the same years ago when my first wife broke her leg. I walked away from a windsurfing holiday in Grenada.

No one is fully booked this year so a sale is a sale and the TOs need all the money they can get. Unfortunately, yours is some of it.

You wouldn't be posting this if you had been insured and that's the only thing to learn from this thread. I hope you do post again, but in happier circumstances, perhaps to tell us what a good time you've had on the mountain.

Until then, it's MTFU and get on with it.
latest report
Monium, How do you know he did a cr@p job we only have the OP's side of the story and as stoatsbrother, rightly says often people who post with the sole intention of 'warning' against bad service have proved themselves to be the ones at fault.

The OP had the responsibility for insuring themselves against such eventualities and failed to do that.

If they believe that the holiday is that easy to resell at short notice they should put it on e-bay and thake their chances.
snow report
stoatsbrother, Agree 100%, Monium, I work in retail and have been accused of being rude/arrogant/abusive etc.etc. (on the internet as well!) when mearly politely delivering an outcome that was NOT what the customer was demanding!! Some people nowadays think they are entitled to everything; they are not, these are commercial enterprises not some sort of charity. I f you want to spout the rules and regs when it suits you, dont expect them to be bent when they go against you!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy