Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tornado, Rossignol or the impossible to get WaveFlex?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

First post on here, but have enjoyed reading a few threads, seems like a great community.

I have a dilemma....

For the past 10 years I've been enjoying my Rossi Bandit XX (178cm), been great skis and have seen a lot of action over the years. I wasn't particularly thinking about changing, until I bought boots last year and then loaned me some Elan Magfire 8 skis (160cm) to go off to Kicking Horse for the day.

They were awesome, had a great day on them, some great powder and chutes, but also a lot of fun on the bumps and then ripping down the bottom slopes back to the gondola.

It was only the next day when I went back onto the Bandits they seemed old, slow and very cumbersome.

So, I've been trying to figure out what to replace the Bandits with as I am off to Tignes on the 16th. Clearly after an all mountain ski, as while I love the powder it is a bit hard to come across in places esp Europe, but I love bumps, and finding little bits to play in off the sides of the slopes, or finding the powder when I can. Fast groomed blues etc are great, but really a way of getting to the next fun bit to play in.

The Elan Magfires were so great, I had initially been trying to find them (very difficult to get in UK, and France it seems), but had settled on the idea of something like a Waveflex 76 Ti, probably at 168cm.

Since they don't seem available in many places though, I've also been recommended the following:

Rossignol Z76
Salomon XW Tornado Ti

While getting them in resort makes the most sense, a lot of people are talking very highly of the Tornados, and they could be a bit cheaper in the UK than France.

I'm about 78kg and 168cm, and fairly aggressive skier.

What do you all think? Tornados FTW?

Cheers

Jamie
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jamester, I can't comment on the skis, but there is a good chance that Skee tex could get you a waveflex - it will hardly cost anything to try a phone call - see their website http://www.skee-tex.co.uk/ They had the Waveflex 82 Ti on the shelf the last time I was in there.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Try the Dynastar Sultan 85 (or 80) beforeyou buy too...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999 wrote:
Try the Dynastar Sultan 85 (or 80) beforeyou buy too...

Agree.

Having tried in the last year (some in the wild, some in the fridge):
~ Tornado
~ Tornado Ti
~ K2 Xplorer
~ Bandit 80
~ Watea 78
~ Watea 84
~ Sultan 80
~ Sultan 85

I've come to a number of conclusions:
1) If I didn't have kids (and spend 51% of my ski time pootling around with the kids), I'd buy the Sultan 85
2) My current Nordica HotRods are fine for what I do - there are better skis out there but not that much better
3) If my Nordicas weren't good enough, I'd snap up a pair of Sultan 80s - fine for pootling about but well capable of tearing it up all over the mountain.

Of the ones the OP asked about I spent three days on hired Tornado Ti in mixed conditions in Alpe d'Huez with good skiers, mainly on or between pistes. I really enjoyed those three days and didn't once think about the skis for good or bad - I'd think of them as a Ford Mondeo. [/list]
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skiwear4less have Waveflex 8s on the web, might be worth giving them a ring as I've often seen more stuff in their shops than on the website, love my Elan Speedwaves!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy