Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan 2010-11

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar, it's definitely the right way round to have the reported/actual figures, for sure!

Still can't wipe the cheese-eating grin off my face!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
oz5000, Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As of Thursday 10 March 2011

Niseko Hirafu village level measurements

March snowfall SO FAR - 1.22 m

Season snowfall SO FAR - 12.29 m

4 more sleeps Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Absolutely all time again today Mike Pow, after another 35-40cms overnight filled in everything... Bashed the trees at Higashiyama first thing and then headed over to Hanazono again to lap the steeper terrain out of gate 4 from just after they opened it at 11am for the rest of the day. A Swiss couple we're riding with from Laax said this was the deepest snow they'd ever skied and he's an ex-patroller! He's also a telemarker and had to make alpine turns on our last two runs as it was too deep for him to get low enough to tele properly!

He's off to get some fatter skis (he's already on 115 waist) and I was going to head out tonight too as it's just kept coming all day, but I appear to have officially skied myself daft. Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Brilliant snowHead

Lull this weekend, and then colder temps and more snow next week for my first day skiing next Thursday Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mike Pow, very envious! Hope you have a great trip.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks. Can't believe it's 23 months since I was on Fantasy Island.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nice - the real FI Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's the promised land!

Really great snow and low temps this week, looking good for Kamui and probably Asahidake or Kurodake this weekend!

Mike Pow, how long are you here for?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mike Pow, I have just arrived back home after my roadtrip on Hokkaido, FANTASTIC, great snow, nice people, there was a earthquake when we where back in Tokyo, I was surprised there was not alot damage, beacause the ground was shaking alot, so now I will sleep all weekend, and have a nice trip
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
freeheelskier, where did your road trip take you? Hope you enjoyed.

We just had another earthquake, abit stronger than the one mid week. This one was 7.9, off the coast of Miyagi Prefecture. Definitely felt it up here, and it went on for a long long time. And there have been numerous smaller aftershocks. Although up here it wasn't too strong, there are tsunami warnings for Southern Hokkaido.

Was wondering, as the ground was shaking, do avalanches ever get triggered by earthquakes? I imagine it'd certainly be possible.

Finding out now on the news that a large tsunami hit Honshu. Could end up quite bad, as now is the time kids are going to be walking home from school.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
[quote="MagSeven"]freeheelskier, where did your road trip take you? Hope you enjoyed.

We just had another earthquake, significantly stronger than the one mid week. This one was off the coast of Miyagi Prefecture. Definitely felt it up here, and it went on for a long long time. There have been numerous smaller aftershocks. Although up here it wasn't too strong, there are tsunami warnings for Southern Hokkaido.

EDITIt was a big one. Reported as 8.8 magnitude. And a large tsunami has struck the eastern coast of Honshu. On the news here it doesn't look great, and I imagine there will be lots of damage. Around now is the time lots of kids will be out and about walking home from school.

BBC is reporting it now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709598
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MagSeven, Just felt it myself - pretty crazy with the whole lodge shaking...

And they certainly do trigger avalanches. Glad I wasn't in one of the back bowls above Annupuri - we had yet another 30cms last night and the place will have been as loaded as hell after three consecutive days and nights of heavy snow.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MagSeven wrote:
It was a big one. Reported as 8.8 magnitude.
You can say that again. 8.8 is freaking huge. The Richter Scale is logarithmic, so 10 times more energy is released by a quake at 7 compared to one at 6, and 100 times more energy is released by a quake at 8 compared to 6. The recent earthquake in Christchurch measured 6.3 I think, so today's quake near Hokkaido was significantly larger in terms of the energy released.

USGS now reporting is was 8.9
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I wrote:

Nice - the real FI

Feels a bit hollow now - some pretty horrific pictures of the tsunami on the TV at the moment...guess it's effectively an uphill avalanche. As rob@rar says, 8.9 is freaking huge. My thoughts go out to those affected - hope the damage is as superficial as possible.
ski holidays
Looks like Hokkaido will escape the worst effects of this one.

Another of the pros for the island. Honshu suffers much more earthquake and tsunami damage.

Thoughts are with any caught up in this.
snow report
Great to hear you had a top time freeheelskier.

And I'm on the FI between 16 March and 27 April MagSeven
snow report
ChrisWo wrote:
I wrote:

Nice - the real FI

Feels a bit hollow now - some pretty horrific pictures of the tsunami on the TV at the moment...guess it's effectively an uphill avalanche. As rob@rar says, 8.9 is freaking huge. My thoughts go out to those affected - hope the damage is as superficial as possible.

Friend of a friend in Tokyo just said aftershocks are still continuing to be felt.

Thoughts with others right now...
latest report
Mike Pow, big storm brewing Wednesday night; they say timing is everything...

Just had three days of this:

Thanks to my Swiss friends for the camera work!
ski holidays
Yep.

50cm forecast Wednesday for my first ski day on Thursday.

As my Mum always used to say 'better to be born lucky than rich' snowHead
latest report
Nice timing Mike Pow, ! If you head up to any of the ski areas in central Hokkaido during your stay, give me a shout!

Just heading north to Kamui. Got to clear the 20cm of snow off the car first. Oh well!

oz5000, awesome photo!
snow conditions
Will do.
snow report
So, with grim things on the news, we set out to Kamui to enjoy ourselves this weekend. Overnight Friday and into Saturday saw a little over 20cm fall, but as the weekend progressed, the temperature rose and the sun came out. Turned into a great couple of days of sunny springtime skiing.

Mrs MagSeven

Great views of the valley and mountains to the north

We had an impromptu game of GNAR. Me scoring some points pole whacking

I wasn't going to ski the line naked though

Mrs MagSeven on the phone. Minus points though, as I'm sure the line isn't that difficult. And she wasn't on the phone to her Mum. And she didn't want to get naked either!

Extra points were earned by going up to passers by and saying "わたしはこの山の一ばんスキ-ア-ですよ!"
snow report
I was left Japan a short time before the tsunami, when I was back in france i didnt know about the destruction, My friend live in Natori, the town is destroyed and I had now contact with him since I coming back to france, I was in his home just before I took the train to Tokyo and the airport, I will make a report from my trip later, I hope U all understand, and I hope that the SnowHeads that are in Japan is well,
snow report
freeheelskier, Sad Sad Sad
ski holidays
freeheelskier, so sorry, hope your friend is OK. Sad
latest report
Any news freeheelskier? Really hope things turn out ok for your friend.

Mike Pow, if you're still coming, I hope your journey out here is ok. I think flights in and out of Narita are pretty disrupted.
ski holidays
...and we expect to see some 'glowing' reports Wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In Seoul. Planned stopover. Relaxing after the long leg of the journey.

Fly at 10.00 tomorrow, get to Chitose (Sapporo) at 12.35

No disruption in and out of Hokkaido.

And also means I get to do the journey to the mountains in daylight.
ski holidays
Mike Pow, who did you fly with and what was your route?

Hope the snows good for ya!
latest report
Mike Pow, glad you're going to make it, I was worried that you might not get there. I'm sure there's going to be an unusual vibe around the place, but good to support their tourist industry at this time.
snow report
Korean

Heathrow - Seoul - Chitose 710 quid return
snow conditions
Mike Pow, Wow, nice!! That's a great price, will remember that for the future. (Hopefully the price will be the same doing it in reverse, as its not always the case!)

In Hokkaido, you wouldn't really notice any weird vibe, people are just going about their business as usual. In the Niseko bubble though, it'll probably be a bit different among the westerners.

I guess the traditional advice should apply - "Don't eat (glowing) yellow snow"
snow conditions
Quote:

good to support their tourist industry at this time.

Yes, if we can support Japan, do it, I have still no contact with my friend or the rest of the family, other contacts in japan heve tell me that about 75% of the population in Natori is missing Sad
ski holidays
Arrived in Chitose under clear blue skies and 0 deg C temps at mid-day today.

Same on the drive to the Niseko area, but within 30 mins of arriving in Niseko Hirafu the temps dropped significantly and the flakes started falling. Hasn't stopped since.

Kiroro tomorrow to pick up my seasons pass and see what's fallen.

For anyone in two minds about visiting the mountains of Hokkaido, I haven't witnessed any damage or lack of goods or services in the short time I've been here.

Energy provision is not a problem, night skiing is still fully operational.

Hirafu is quiet but there are still people here very much enjoying the quality of snow and the lack of crowds.
ski holidays
And so it begins Smile

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1753805#1753805
ski holidays
Mike Pow, hit Kiroro myself today (Friday) - fresh lines all day, knee deep everywhere and thigh deep in places... super sweet.
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:
And so it begins Smile

It began back in December mate, you're just late for the party! wink

Great photos on the TR. Hopefully the temps aren't gonna be too high after the weekend.
snow report
freeheelskier, that's sad news.

Mike Pow, keep the pics coming!
snow conditions
Good to hear that you enjoyed it oz5000

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1754519#1754519
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy