Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I know most places in the alps these days are pretty steep price wise because of the £/euro rate, however i was just wondering what prices in VT are like for things like beers in supermarkets/bars, food prices in supermarkets and if anyone recommends any places out there to eat out?

Anyone know any good places to venture to on the pistes/off piste? got a 3V lift pass Wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
supermarkets aren't too bad but beer isn't cheep

Just head out slightly later after a few in your room and it'll work out ok
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The thing with the big French resorts is that while the pound was strong, they pushed their prices up to make the most of it.
People were on holiday, engaging in a 'luxury' pass-time and didn't blink at paying prices that made Central London tourist traps look half reasonable. As the pound weakened, people suddenly noticed how expensive France had become but the high prices were too ingrained in the local economies to revert.
It's my impression that in general, the greater the proportion of UK business in a resort, the worse this situation manifested itself.
Some exceptions, for example, the 'famously classy' Courchevel, already seen as a 'rich zone' to the French and UK, has been influenced all the more in that direction by wealthy Eastern Europeans.

Anyway, my point is, because Courchevelski is full of Ruskis and Meribel is full of Brits, Vallée Belleville where Val Thorens is is the least expensive of the 3 Valleys. That said, it's not exactly cheap either.

Eating on the mountain, the restaurant at the top of the Deux Lacs lift seems to be universally regarded as the best quality/price balance but tends to fill up very quickly at lunch time.
Not exactly a budget option but Chef Jean Sulpice at l'Oxalys restaurant has 2 Michelin Stars - it's well worth a visit if you're a fan 'gastronomy' and compared to a lot of Michelin starred places doesn't charge over the odds.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In defence of the local businesses, a lot of them have no choice as it's their suppliers that are keeping the prices high.

The bakery down in Montana is award winning, pickup a packed lunch from there in the morning if you can get out of bed in time. There is normally a queue so bare this in mind.

Can't think of one 'cheap' or 'cheap'ish' restaurant on the mountain. Le Ferme in Les Menuires is ok and good food. If skiing around VT it's not too hard to nip into resort for a bite and save money.
The Spa supermarket by the Sports Centre tends to be the cheapest.

I can recommend a great guide if you want a great day off-piste, pm me if interested.

Stu
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SkiGB.com wrote:
The bakery down in Montana is award winning, pickup a packed lunch from there in the morning if you can get out of bed in time. There is normally a queue so bare this in mind.

Fresh pains-au-chocolat are highly recommended! It opens at 7, and the waft from the door as they open it is glorious to experience Madeye-Smiley

Another vote for Chalet-deux-Lacs as well. Seriously good salad, and that from a bloke who normally dodges the stuff. You won't be disappointed with the portion size, and the staff are friendly too.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
OOOO thanks for this info guys, will be useful for a family member who is off today - the jammy git! *olliebonk goes off muttering and cursing and majorly sulking due to distinct lack of trip!* snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh yes SkiGB.com, good call: the Montana Bakery is a regular feature of my visits to VT. The warm ham and cheese filled croissant is a particular treat.

SkiGB.com wrote:
In defence of the local businesses, a lot of them have no choice as it's their suppliers that are keeping the prices high.
I know, no individual is to blame but as a result of the acts of various and many individuals the economy overall, shifted to take advantage of the Brits 'throwing it about'.
For example, there will be business owners who took advantage of the increased property values, cashed in and sold up to people who now have to justify/maintain that larger investment. Accordingly they can't afford to reduce their prices and if the laws of the market insist on it, they'll simply go bust.
It's much harder to go back Confused

Hope your little empire in VT is thriving though Wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
admin,
Quote:

the Montana Bakery is a regular feature of my visits to VT. The warm ham and cheese filled croissant is a particular treat.

Aarghhh, I don't want to hear that, having discovered that I no longer seem to lose weight naturally (which I used to, despite extreme greediness) on ski holidays. Mind you, those panini that looked and tasted like worn trainers at the favoured lunch stop on the EoSB, made me think that I should eat more breakfast and skip lunch!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Montana Bakery is a regular feature of my visits to VT

err - whose visits would that be exactly? Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Where abouts is this bakery? i may have to visit with so many people reccommending it!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's here

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle wrote:
Mind you, those panini that looked and tasted like worn trainers at the favoured lunch stop on the EoSB, made me think that I should eat more breakfast and skip lunch!

Only those that have not been before part with money for those wink

The "Knife & Fork" is more of a meeting place than lunch stop (although the sit down restaurant is reputed to be quite good; I've never tried it as I'd rather eat further up the mountain)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The expensive sit down side of the K&F is really rather good, but V. pricey. I'd just as soon eat in Deux Lacs. I could use a written description of where to find this much recommended bakery in VT though as I don't recognise the location from Yoda's, photograph. Cheers!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, 'tis a secret known only to croissant jedis wink holidayloverxx, as far as I recall the next stop further up the mountain from here
is the summit of Peclet, and you have to carry your own food up there Cool
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yoda, LOL
snow report
The best value bit of the Knife and Fork is downstairs in the self service area, where you can often get a good meal at a reasonable price - a good deal cheaper than the upstairs sit down area.
snow conditions
holidayloverxx,
Quote:

Only those that have not been before part with money for those
Trouble was, what with all those lessons I had (in one case unsuccessfully Embarassed) to remember to turn up for, I kept getting my timings wrong and arriving at the meeting point with no option but to grab a quick trainer there. I shall do better next time. wink I did, however, have a brilliant lunch with Frosty the Snowman and his friends at the 'summit of Peclet' on a non-sH trip. Brilliant place.
latest report
Alastair, I always forget that's there. The meeting place is the upstairs terrace so one tends to think the only fast option is the pannini & waffle stand. I'll try and remember next time
ski holidays
I've not eaten at the top of Peclet - what are the prices like please?
snow report
Le Blanchot is an excellent little known dining spot in VT. Small place, mainly locals, good food, great wine and atmosphere. Need to book. It's just up from the 8a8 opposite the Caron centre.
snow report
What was that place we went to a few times - Marine something? self service but very good indeed
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, Yes, Chalet Marine, I had an excellent lunch there, only slightly marred by finding a wasp in my helmet after I'd put it on. Shocked Toofy Grin
snow report
You kind of have to hope that geepee, is on about a skiing safety helmet as worn on the head don't you?
ski holidays
Quote:

Where abouts is this bakery? i may have to visit with so many people reccommending it!

http://www.skigb.com/val-thorens-supermarkets.html

I have uploaded a map of where the bakery is.

Stu
snow report
SkiGB.com, Very Happy
ski holidays
Can be worth knowing that the restaurant at the bottom of Rosael in Orelle does quite a good plat du jour (about 12E) that is often big enough to feed two.
latest report
spiky1013, It's right next door to the Cheval Blanc apartments....just at the arch.

And here's the important bits, Rendez-Vous for apres is about €6 a beer....but if you bring some CD's and offer to DJ for free, you'll drink for nowt and at a reduced price for the rest of the week....the nightclub Himalaia proves to be the best value, a small beer and a bottle of Smirnoff Ice is €25 (the best value thing was a joke btw)
latest report
Quote:

....the nightclub Himalaia proves

Malaysia. Very Happy

Stu
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SkiGB.com, That's the one.....Himalaia is a nice and cheap hotel in Pas De La Casa.

Pricey.....good band though.
ski holidays
Right, just a quick thought...

Are there any problems with taking vodka from the UK to France?
snow report
None at all...
In fact its exactly what i did last year to Val Thorens!!!
Not in your hand luggage tho unless its been bought in duty free...
ski holidays
Megamum, it supplied your pains-au-chocolat a couple of years ago Wink
snow conditions
Yeah im going by coach so that wont be a problem... Are there limits as to what you can take?
snow report
TallTone,
Quote:

pains-au-chocolat
Impressive. Straight to the top of the class.
snow conditions
spiky1013, No, as long as it's for personal consumption, although there is guidance on what is reasonable - you will buy the vodka in the UK duty paid and EU rules apply
snow report
holidayloverxx,
Quote:

there is guidance on what is reasonable
Really?!!!
Shocked Shocked Shocked wink
snow report
Hurtle, You know I'll be right (probably) wink . While this is the HMRC guidance from EU to UK some websites which refer to imports into France use the same figures. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingeu.htm

Although there are no limits on the amount of alcohol and tobacco you can bring in from EU countries, customs officials are more likely to ask you questions if you have more than:

3,200 cigarettes
200 cigars
400 cigarillos
3kg of tobacco
110 litres of beer
90 litres of wine
10 litres of spirits
20 litres of fortified wine (for example port or sherry)
ski holidays
holidayloverxx,
Quote:

10 litres of spirits
I think we might just be OK. wink
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
Hurtle, You know I'll be right (probably) wink . While this is the HMRC guidance from EU to UK some websites which refer to imports into France use the same figures. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingeu.htm

Although there are no limits on the amount of alcohol and tobacco you can bring in from EU countries, customs officials are more likely to ask you questions if you have more than:

3,200 cigarettes
200 cigars
400 cigarillos
3kg of tobacco
110 litres of beer
90 litres of wine
10 litres of spirits
20 litres of fortified wine (for example port or sherry)

No chance with Ryan Air with that little lot.... Laughing
snow report
TallTone, LOL - how did you know I was thinking of those and your early morning excursions to obtain fresh supplies for breakfast. Yoda isn't the only Fresh baking Jedi on SH's - I think you need an honourary designation as well. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy