Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

have bindings changed that much?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Buying some new skis, prob liberty helix but just wondered have bindings changed that much in the last 10 years? I have a brand new pair of salomon s810 teneighty bindings that I have had for years but never used as well as the bindings off my old 1080's and was going to use them on my new skis. I know I will need wider brakes but apart from that should there be any other problems?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
None whatsoever. One kind thing Salomon has done for the past few years is make the brakes compatible with nearly all of their bindings, so finding a wider pair should be pretty easy - if you can't bend the arms wide enough to fit your new skis.

It *might* be worth getting them tested if they have been abused - long car journeys on roof racks across Europe, lived in a cow barn etc etc - otherwise you're good to go.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cheers, I did wonder and was thinking if i'm spending a fortune on new skis I can't afford the bindings as well. The bindings are like brand new and still on the plastic display plates. Just been looking as I will need wider brakes, where is the best place to get them?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Definitely get them tested, as the internal grease may have dried out.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Test them cant hurt

but....
do the adjustments in and out a half dozen times, then set on low and flex it / etc.

plastics can go brittle over time in the wrong conditions - not sure about the newer composites they are using though but my old bindings have taken loads of abuse and live in the garage and work fine
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers appreciate your help. Will get the shop to give them a check over when I take them in to get them mounted on my skis. Just hope I can get hold of some wider brakes for them
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've read on a number of occasions in other fora that bindings have been the much neglected area of ski companies' R&D in recent years, and that the wider skies now more commonly found provide both an opportunity for a larger footprint binding which may allow for some new developments, and could perhaps do with technology that might provide a better experience with wider skis than using the approaches inherited for narrower skis.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
parlor wrote:
One kind thing Salomon has done for the past few years is make the brakes compatible with nearly all of their bindings...

They've also cut back on the quality of materials used in some of their higher-end binders to save money, hence people preferring the older metal worm-screw Salomon 9XXs to the newer plastic rack ones like the STH, and don't get me started on the Z toe piece. Rocking a pair of 1995 vintage 14-20 din 997s on my Mantras and they're virtually indistinguishable from the latest 920s.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are not many active binding machines in the UK that test bindings (I think there are only 3 or 4, really should be more but they cost £££££), but if you want to be certain we use a Wintersteiger binding test machine, which precisely checks the forces regardless of what is on the DIN indicator to make sure they are working within tolerance. We can then accurately adjust bindings based on the testing, if they are a little out or a little worn. The machine will fail bindings that are outside tolerance, and as someone who got into this whole business because of a binding failure, if in doubt, even if you don't do it with us, get them tested! It is good piece of mind, and you get a copy of the report, which has also come in handy for some customers for insurance claims.

It is an awesome machine, my accountant still shakes her head at me buying it as it will never make us any money, but if it helps prevent even one stack due to a binding issue, then it has paid for itself in my view. More about it here: http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/servicing.aspx

Hope this helps,

ScottyDog
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sideshow_Bob, 1994 S900 9-16 on my go to skis too.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy