Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tipping ski instructors

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Chasseur wrote:
And do European (non-UK) waiters and waitresses get taxed upon presumed tips being part of their wage make-up?

no
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The last guide I was with bought me a pizza!

I must have provided good entertainment.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mosha Marc, it was probably to help describe that wedge shape so important in your snow-plough execution wink Razz
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chasseur, very good point. There was certainly a lack of chips Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Never ever expect a tip but am very grateful to get one. the only thing I do expect is that an all day lesson will pay for my lunch (frankly I wouldn't/couldn't afford to eat in the expensive mountain restaurant if the client didn't want to)

My tips have ranged from the cash equivalent of a months rent (in $100 bills) to "buy yourself a drink" (accompanied by too little shrapnel to buy anything!) to nothing (which is also fine, I'm aware how expensive lessons are). I would hate to think that any tip is merely "the done thing" as I try to go above and beyond and feel I largely reap the rewards.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think it depends on your instructor and whether you get them for the enitre three days or not as to how much you tip. I think $30 a day is a fab tip and you could easily tip less, whilst still being generous. I would tip the service and quality you get, not just do it automatically. I am pretty sure loads of canadians don't tip the ski instructor.

For kids in the past in canada I have tipped good service received, usually (but I am not that organised and can struggle to have any cash). This is sometimes tricky with the kids as you don't always see good service, and they tend to change instructors so much so by the time you go back the next day determined to tip, the instructor has vanished. Sometimes I tip on the basis of the instructor comments at the end, if it is obvious they paid detailed attention to my child, give me pointers , tell me what they worked on etc they get a tip; the poor instructors have been unable to tell me anything (these are not the norm). Really think ski schools in canada could do more to help instructors get more tips by increasing continuity for their staff, particualrly those that teach kids.

Kids have done 1 day a week 6 week courses and I always tip those (well I wouldn't if I thought the instruction was poor but it was always good).

Kids are in race club and have a coach for the season (last year one day a weekend). I bought both gift cards for cinema (both coaches were youngish) with a few goes on, I wasn't there to see one of them get it, but my daughter's coach was over-the-top pleased, flashed it all round his table of co-coaches as a show-off and I generally got the impression that neither him or any other coaches on the table had got any other kind of a tip/gift.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Last year skiing in Austria we went to pay for our instructors lunch (1 day private lesson 2:1), but he said not to worry that his food is free, and he gets it free for taking us to that restaurant, and not any other.

We didn't tip him, but took him for a few drinks after. Turns out through chatting that he was financial advisor to his native country's national telecom provider and earned a truckload more than us. He was an instructor during holiday periods as a hobby.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Last year skiing in Austria we went to pay for our instructors lunch (1 day private lesson 2:1), but he said not to worry that his food is free, and he gets it free for taking us to that restaurant, and not any other.

IME this is the norm if you take over 6 guests - otherwise it would depend on how much the waitor/waitress likes/knows you.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Depends alot on the situation but if they are not planting their poles correctly Itry and let them know, friendly tips are useful.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
FWIW, I typically tip $10-20 when I take a lesson, but I think it varies widely here in NA and think that less tipping happens with kids lessons, but see many other adults tip as well. While the price of the lesson may be expensive, ski instructors who work for US resorts are not paid a lot, so they definitely appreciate it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My son is currently in is first season of teaching snowboarding in Canada and, due to the unpredictability of clients and lessons booked, any tip he receives he is really pleased with as they help to pay his rent. He seems to get anything between $10 and $30 depending on the type of lesson ( beginner/ intermediate/advanced) although not everybody tips him. So, anyone hitting Norquay for boarding lessons...do give generously, his rent is now due!! wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've never tripped an instructor on purpose Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hammerite wrote:
Turns out through chatting that he was financial advisor to his native country's national telecom provider and earned a truckload more than us. He was an instructor during holiday periods as a hobby.

There are a lot of part-time instructors around. We instruct because we love it, but it's the day job that pays the bills.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy