Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tipping ski instructors

Poster: A snowHead
I am completely rubbish when it comes to tipping. Despite reading about recommended tipping amounts I was still a little flummoxed last year when it came to tipping the ski instructor.

I am going to Canada if this helps for context.

My questions are this therefore are:

1. Do you tip every day if you have booked several days of lessons?
2. How much do you normally tip an instructor? Now I know it's at your own discretion and dependent on service etc but I'm just looking for a guide. The trouble I have when applying a percentage is that the cost to me of the lesson is probably much less than it would cost ordinarily because I have booked a massively discounted package! I'm probably worrying needlessly on this really, just curious on other peoples opinions. Very Happy

Any thoughts or advice for me?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
50-80% of your years earnings is a good place to start Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would tip once at the end of the set of lessons. When it gets expensive I don't bother with %'s etc; this might make me cheap but hey-ho.

Also depends if you are in a group lesson or more individual. If in a group then something around $30 per day would be ok I reckon; if it is more individual I would be thinking closer to the $60+ mark (probably not $100 though unless it involved cats or helicopters)

It does depend on service though; I have tipped nothing and I have tipped $100 per day - especially if I was planning on coming back again....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kevindonkleywood, lol. Well I may apply that to my OHs income..

sweaman2, Thanks for that. I was tipping the instructor $30 a day last time, I had no idea if this made me a cheapskate or not. Lol
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Blimey!!!

The Mrs had 2x 1hr 1:1 lessons in st Foy with a private instructor - 50E per hour. Not paying a tip on top of that.........
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
martinm, This is part of my problem. The deal I have booked will see me and the other half enjoy 3 full days of lessons for about £140. I appreciate that this is very good value.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
v1cky24, it's great that you tip - instructors in Canada generally earn below the poverty line, and getting a tip is always really appriciated. If you enjoy the lesson, just tip whatever you feel is appropriate on your last day- don't worry about percentages. You can always leave tips with guest services or a supervisor if you can't find your instructor. Anything is great. $30 a day is more than the average tip anyone I work with has been given.

martinm, if the instructor saw anything like the lion's share of 100e, fair enough. Privates here are around $100/hr and instructors get paid approx $12-13 an hour....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In France the instructor would likely see a larger percentage of the overall cost of the lesson than elsewhere.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have twice attempted to tip instructors after private lessons and both times received a rather embarrassed "Non! Non!" response (both times in Chamonix from French instructors) so came to the conclusion that I was being gauche and that tipping them wasn't the done thing.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Zero-G wrote:
I have twice attempted to tip instructors after private lessons and both times received a rather embarrassed "Non! Non!" response (both times in Chamonix from French instructors) so came to the conclusion that I was being gauche and that tipping them wasn't the done thing.

they're getting a lot already so probably felt uneasy taking any more, nice bit of honesty from them in any case.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tip the instructor not the lesson. You may not get the same instructor each day unless you have specifically booked a private request.

If you enjoyed your instructor on the first day, then ask for him/her for the second day. The instructor will be paid more if they are requested.

As an aside, I would have loved $30 tip per person per lesson when I worked in N America.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I haven't ever tipped 1-2 hr private lesson instructors, or for the children's 2 hrs per day group lessons in France, but when we were in the more 'private' family run small ski station in Switzerland where the team on the alp used to know most of us by sight and name I used to take plenty of English biscuits and English Tea with me and present the ski school/area office with 'English tea break' after a week with the kids in their ski school.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We always tip our son's instructors, more if it has been a private lesson, less if it's a group. If they have gone above and beyond then we tip more generously. When a private lesson has finished at lunchtime we often invite them to lunch, they usually accept if they don't have another lesson to go to. I am sure they don't get paid much and we really appreciate their input and the care they take, especially with very little kids. I don't think it's that common to tip, I have rarely seen other parents tipping at the end of a weeks group lessons.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Embarassed You should probably divide my numbers by 2.... as I was thinking me + wife in how much "we" would tip..
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Im an instructor and have never been tipped apart from being bought small gifts...

I dont mind about not being tipped though as I enjoy the work I do, and I would never expect to get tipped... I feel most instructors are similar to this, so tip whatever you feel nessasary.

However, I do know someone who taught some rich canadians and got tipped in the reigon of $5000 for a weeks instructing!
latest report
We tipped our group instructor last year in VT (Prosneige)

I think most of us put in 10 euro, he then took us out for a beer Very Happy although only 5 of us went
I'm sure we got him a few back too though
snow conditions
I virtualy never get tips.

But as a private instructor who is getting 100% of the fee, the situation is different.
snow report
Tip an instructor?

Did you tip your driving instructor? Perhaps the guy in IT who set-up your computer? Or maybe a hard-pressed teaching assistant who's helped your little dearest to tie her shoelaces? Or the Kwik Fit Fitter who changes your tyres as soon as you pitch up with a flatie.

Sorry, if an instructor can't afford to work as an instructor, go find a job that does pay what you need to survive. It's a standard business transaction.

That said, time permitting, I have generally invited various instructors for an apres lesson (all have been private 1:1) coffee/brandy/beer 15 minutes before the end of a (2 hour) lesson for a chat/debrief.
ski holidays
I've only been tipped twice - once by an awesome Irish group who more than doubled my weeks wages, and once a more normal tip by a UK school group. Fairly frequently get bought a few apres beers by guests though, which is nice. A mate once got tipped 500 euros by a rich russian guest for a 2 hour private - she went straight out and bought a new pair of skis! I don't expect to get tipped, but it's appreciated as we get a very small percentage of what the ski school earns from our lessons. I don't teach for the money though.
snow report
I think there's a Europe v. N.America thing at work here rather than anything to do with skiing. Tipping is part of the culture in N.America to a far greater extent than it is in Europe IME. I always tipped when I've been to the US, I rarely tip in Europe other than leaving loose change unless the service has been exceptional. I've never tipped a ski instructor, although on a couple of occasions have offered a bottle of Scotch or champagne when I've completed a course when I felt the instructor's input has had a major benefit to my skiing (offered the bottle after being told I'd passed, BTW wink)

I've never been tipped when instructing; it's not hoped for, never mind expected. But I often get bought a coffee or a beer and that's always appreciated, not because of the monetary value but because of the spirit with which the drink is offered.
snow report
When I've done group lessons in Banff, we did a group whip round at the end of the three days (about C$10 each). Had a private lesson with my wife at Lake Louise once, and we tipped about C$10 that time too. All seemed much appreciated by the instructors.
ski holidays
I've yet to experience skiing in Europe so I can only comment on north American ski resorts, where tipping is most definitely the norm and probably expected.

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.
ski holidays
Maybe NA instructors/ski schools should add a service charge for groups of 6 or more rolling eyes
snow report
v1cky24, Lunch and drinks are always appreciated by instructors! It is all down to service out of professional courtesy I will always try to tip guides and if they are good I will push out the boat.

If you get good service and feel like tipping do, in N.America allot of instructors and other service staff are paid with a % of tips factored in (ie basic = $100 but the employer is presuming 10% tips)

As an instructo I have been offered tips and always refuse a beer is more than enough for me as I feel my clients are probably paying enough all ready.

Had a great session with a level 4 Canadian instructor at Lake Louise a few years ago when booking the first tracks the girl at the desk clicked the instructors logo on the jacket and made sure I was looked after.

At end of the incredible session I felt obliged to tip the lad as the service and advice was amazing and offered up a 150 Dollars or so, He told me to hang on arrived back 5 minutes later after moving his classes for the afternoon to another instructor, and we skied together for the rest of the day and twice more during the week (I only bought his lunch after this.)
snow report
NA - yes - hard cash (but the system is wrong imv)
Europe - no - but gifts etc are a nice touch to show appreciation of good service !

different cultures, tax regs and ideals !
snow report
Teaching school groups you generally get gifts of some kind, once that was cash for me.
snow report
isnt there an EU law that says clients pay for instructors coffees ? snowHead
latest report
skimottaret, can we expect to see you positively buzzin at Hemel anytime soon in that case wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
v1cky24 wrote:
I am completely rubbish when it comes to tipping. Despite reading about recommended tipping amounts I was still a little flummoxed last year when it came to tipping the ski instructor.

I am going to Canada if this helps for context.

Yes, tipping an instructor would be the norm in North America, I don't think its a big deal in Europe. I NA they really do get paid a pittance.

Quote:

1. Do you tip every day if you have booked several days of lessons?

No, tip at the end.

Quote:

2. How much do you normally tip an instructor? Now I know it's at your own discretion and dependent on service etc but I'm just looking for a guide. The trouble I have when applying a percentage is that the cost to me of the lesson is probably much less than it would cost ordinarily because I have booked a massively discounted package! I'm probably worrying needlessly on this really, just curious on other peoples opinions. Very Happy

Tricky one, 10% of the lesson price for several days lessons might be a significant chunk of money, especially if you are at Whistler, but I'd use that as a guide and maybe round up or down to the nearest $10.

Incidentaly, I have been told that tipping mountain guides (in Europe at least) is very much not done. Buying lunch/beers is the done thing, but giving them filthy cash is seen as demeaning. Just wondering if anyone else has had this advice (or indeed the opposite)?
snow conditions
Chasseur wrote:
Tip an instructor?

Did you tip your driving instructor? Perhaps the guy in IT who set-up your computer? Or maybe a hard-pressed teaching assistant who's helped your little dearest to tie her shoelaces? Or the Kwik Fit Fitter who changes your tyres as soon as you pitch up with a flatie.

Sorry, if an instructor can't afford to work as an instructor, go find a job that does pay what you need to survive. It's a standard business transaction.

That said, time permitting, I have generally invited various instructors for an apres lesson (all have been private 1:1) coffee/brandy/beer 15 minutes before the end of a (2 hour) lesson for a chat/debrief.

That's a rather random list of people you don't tip; how and why does that mean one should not tip ski instructors? Do you tip cabbies, waiters/waitresses? Just because you don't tip a guy who mends you car does not mean you don't tip anyone, surely? Do you buy your notional Kwik Fit Fitter a coffee?
ski holidays
I don't tip instructors but do buy them lunch and drinks during the course of a week. This is in France, tipping in the US is a different ballgame though - not sure of the done thing over there.
ski holidays
sah, where do I say that I do/don't tip anyone in that list rolling eyes It's just that, a random list, one that contains people that are paid to provide some kind of service or perhaps passing on a skill - asked outwardly. But, to answer a specific question. I do tip waiters/waitresses, where no SC has been levied by the restaurant, for good, attentive, friendly service, maybe even if the foods not quite up to what I might expect - they're generally extremely poorly paid positions in a business where the entry level requires no qualification (generally). A waiter/waitress that may never see me again, nor expect a recommendation, but who has gone beyond just providing the basic service that their job demands.

I notice you didn't mention the driving instructor?
latest report
We would normally buy them lunch/drinks as the cost of living over there is pretty expensive, its always been appreciated anyway, plus its nice to get to know them socially
snow conditions
Chasseur, My point is that coming up with a random list of people you don't tip does not mean anything and does not answer the question. There is a convention in North America that a lot of people get tipped, and ski instructors (as well as tour guides, for example), often receive tips in my experience (I have friends who taught at Whistler and the local hills in Vancouver and I myself took lessons at Whistler, Red Mountain and Jackson Hole).

When I took an instructor course at Whistler I didn't tip. Partly because I had no money and partly because it was a very formal course run by senior members of the ski school and it didn't seem apropriate. I did a 4 day group "camp" at Jackson Hole and my fellow punters advised me (I was the only Brit, the rest were Americans) that we would be expected to tip, and i *think* the advice from them was $10 per day of the course, so a $40 tip per person.

I'm pretty sure I didn't ever tip a driving instructor, but so what, that is not (as far as I am aware) a convention.

It's not the same in Europe in my experience, but as you and others say it's pretty normal to buy them a drink at the end of the day if they want to chat.
snow report
sah wrote:
ChasseurI'm pretty sure I didn't ever tip a driving instructor, but so what, that is not (as far as I am aware) a convention.

Well perhaps it's a more highly regarded, life/injury saving "profession" in NA where one imparts skills and technique either to someone to pass a test or to others that may also wish to go on an help others stay safe and well in that general driving community.
snow report
Does any one know whether NA ski instructors get taxed upon an assumed 10 % tip irrespective of whether they receive a tip or not? - similar to the system that is in place for waitresses etc
latest report
And do European (non-UK) waiters and waitresses get taxed upon presumed tips being part of their wage make-up?
snow report
Some years back I had 3 private lessons of 3 hours each in Canada during a week. Which cost a fortune in itself! I was in a real quandry as to how much to tip at the end - the 'normal' 15-20% would have just made the cost extortionate. I think I settled at about $80 or $90 in the end for the three sessions.

I usually tip the instructor in Europe as well, probably just a 20 Euro 'have a drink on me' - if its a group such as Inspired to Ski or Snoworks we'd all put in say 20 Euros each and give one from the group. I'd always try to buy a coffee or drink as well as a thanks.

Although funnily enough I don't tip those guys with Inside Out - that would definitely feel not right somehow! Toofy Grin

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 7-01-11 15:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
A first post after lurking for a while.

I don't tip my ski instructors when they are working freelance and therefore receiving the whole cost of the lesson. I do buy drinks and the occasional lunch or a bottle of wine as a thank you.

If they are working for a ski school then I tip them as well. I find it embarrassing and it's possibly not expected and it makes lessons even more horrendously expensive. But I think most instructors would be grateful because of the expense of living in resort (in Europe anyway) and paying for training. In a poor season I suspect many instructors don't get sufficient hours to make a good living. And although lunches are probably welcome, I'm sure cash in hand is even better. I tip at the end of a series of lessons rather than for each one.

I wouldn't tip if I hadn't had good service but I've never had that experience.
ski holidays
Welcome to snowHeads red_sledge! snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy