Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beware - 20 kg limit is being enforced!

Poster: A snowHead
holidayloverxx wrote:
No-one will notice if you wear the same stuff throughout the week unless it really honks.

Or maybe we were too polite to mention it wink

Seriously though, I do the same as you- no need for a second jacket, wear those apres boots and take an 80p tube of travel wash to recycle your socks etc.... I was also surprised to see that my old wheelie case with extending handle etc was 5.5kg empty- since replaced with a much lighter bag
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
owen4220 wrote:
I think the point generally being made is that 20 kg is a) unreasonable and b) almost impossible for those with own boots to stick to

Really? Even keeping my hand luggage light, never had a problem. And that's with enough thermals etc for each day of the week. Admitedly, going out at night in shorts, T-shirt and flip flops poses a challenge... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MisterG wrote:
Heres a question for all the seasoned snowheads...

Is it possible to pack for a weeks skiing/apres + boots in 20kg?

As several people had already said in this thread, yes it is very possible.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just back from my trip to Scheffau. Weight of holdall including boots, all clothing and ski gear except jacket was a smidge under 16kg. As I said on another thread a lot of this depends on the weight of your case/holdall to start with. If you have a case that weighs 5kg unladen that does eat considerably into your weight allowance. I also always seem to take far more clothes than I need, I took two fleece base layers this time that I didn't use and two extra non-ski tops.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Ski boots at 5kg is part of the 20kg

Not if you do what I did this week with Thomson and take them as hand luggage.

Then again, I packed them in my checked-in bag at the end of the 4 day trip and the bag still weighed less than 10 kg wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Another good reason to drive!

I normally take, 3 pairs of skis & a snowboard, so thats two sets of boots, & all the gear.

I could'nt imagine doing a ski/board trip with only one set of planks for the week!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cptsideways, I take a pair of Missions, which see me round the mountain. But of course it would be nice to have a couple of pairs for out and out on-piste and off-piste.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boots in hand luggage (unless you are flying to/from a stupid airport like Grenoble) in a small suitcase, not a ski boot bag, then 20kg is a doddle. Even with boots in your main bag it's very achievable with a little forethought, for most people it's a skiing trip/holiday, not a fashion parade, you are expected to smell a bit towards the end of the week. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
smithski,
I just packed up yesterday for a week in St Anton, ski boots in bag, total weight 18kg. Might smell a bit at end of week!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
THose Bigair wheelie cases are almost 5kg, boots another 5 and you only have 10 kg to play with. Throw in 3 books, a toilet bag and a bottle of pure malt "medicine", not much left for clothes.

On a tangential note, do airlines factor in the extra tons of weight created by leaving all the luggage on the tarmac in a monsoon like downpour (as was happening at the hellhole of an airport now known as Grenoble-Isere last night? My luggage had put on a good few kilos by the time I got it back.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
just packed for mayrhofen on saturday. main bag weighed 15kg, inc boots. i put a couple of jackets and trousers in my snowboard bag but even if i had to take them out (do airports check?) i could wear one of the jackets the other is down so will squash up really small and fit in my hand luggage and the trousers will fit in my main bag without taking it anywhere near 20kg. i only put the stuff in the snowboard bag as extra padding.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tim000, You want to see my ski bag, trainers/ sweatshirt/ probe/ shovel.............oh skis/ poles and 1kg of bubblewrap too! Always been OK they dont check whats in them (unless its something dodgy of course!!) - Go for it. Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I do two weeks no problem being under 20kg with boots in hold bag. In my hold bag I have ski boots, ski helmet, casual trousers, six pairs of pants, six tee shirts , two long sleeve tee shirts, two mirco fleeces, 1 thin fleece, 4 long sleeved shirts, 4 pairs socke, 6 pairs ski socks hankies and toilet bag including the most important tube of hand wash. In my hand luggage ski trousers , ski jacket, ski gloves, one tea shirt. one pair ski socks pair slip on shoes, all electrical gear. I wear for travelling long sleeve tee shirt, a medium fleece and carry a heavy fleece which i can sqeeze into my hand luggage if required.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ticket arrived .flying with thomas cook . board carrage says 10kg, NO extra items in the bag. will see what happens . if you`re in a que at manchester airport checking in at 4am on saturday and some plonker is holding everyone up while he repacks his bags , it` ME . Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tell you what - everyone should have to get on the scales with their suitcase and if the whole kaboodle is over 100kg then;

1. an alarm goes off and normal people laugh
2. you pay 1€ per lb of lard as a penalty for not beiing able to control your greed.

riverman, waaay too much information... no one wants to hear about your pants spoo
snow conditions
red 27, I buy them in Tk-Maxx
snow conditions
Quote:

What makes you so special that the rules don't apply to you?

What a bizarre post. I can't see anywhere that the OP even remotely hints at that!
snow conditions
tim000 wrote:
ticket arrived .flying with thomas cook . board carrage says 10kg, NO extra items in the bag.

Thats the silly comedy bit, no extra items, why not? 10kgs is 10kgs!

Like most its nice to wrap your skis in a few larger padded items of clothing, to protect them a bit.
ski holidays
Thanks, all you folk. EZY tomorro so just put a bit out of the case and into the backpack and now 32kg exact (16+ in case and 16 minus in Ski bag. Would like to have put boots in with skis (board type bag) but feel that if they are going to bump some off the plane it will be skibags rather than regular cases. Wouldn't want to lose my precice -fitted boots so they go in the case.

I did think of chucking out 2nd pyjamas (week 2) but it would have cost me about the same to have the single pair laundered so no gain.

Next time I'll take the big rucsac to get more in cabin and put little sac in case.

All this plotting to save 10 quid !.
ski holidays
hammerite wrote:
A light bag/case helps. I was amazed at how much our cheapo empty cases weighed, takes up a fair chunk of the allowance.

This. I take a soft bag now and anything breakable is in hand luggage.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy