Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How does your skiing compare with your parents' skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
You lucky fitzwilliams! Neither of my parents skied, I didn't get to go ski-ing at school and I didn't start ski-ing until I was 30 Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My parents both grew up in poor mining communities during WW2. I suppose going skiing was about as feasible as going to the moon! Sixty years on and neither have skied, although ironically are at this moment on holiday in Zermatt. My mother says she would have liked to try skiing, but is now more than content to come with us on our skiing trips and absorb the ambience of a winter holiday. This year in Courchevel, she realised one ambition and went snow-shoe walking for the first time - not bad for 70 Little Angel
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My ambition is to ski when I'm 80 (though I'll be quite happyto be simply alive and compos mentis).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowball wrote:
I'll be quite happyto be simply alive and compos mentis.
If not the latter then I fully intend not to be the former either.

My Dad skied a bit when living in Canada in the '50s, and Mum did so also when she joined him. We have a rather cute photo of them both in the park near their house in the leather laceups and wooden planks. No idea whether he was any good or not (and it's too late to ask him now), but I think it was mostly cross-country style rather than downhill (there not being a tremendous number of hills down which to go in southern Ontario). They stopped skiing when they came back to the UK until they had a couple of weeks in the early '80s - by which time I'd pretty much left home and didn't get taken along Mad , but that was when my brother first went. He then carried on with a couple of school trips - which had somehow passed me by Sad - and then got me going about 10 years ago. So my brother and I are much better than our parents - but I doubt are anywhere near the standard of two of our cousins who used to race in Californian teams/leagues (they grew up about 4 hours from Tahoe). My sister has never put on planks (to my knowledge anyway), and is in any case far more of a beach bunny than powderhound.

Mum certainly gave up because the boots did something very unpleasant to her ankles - and I'm not sure she was really into it anyway. We did get her along to La Tania this New Year where she had a great time walking around the lower slopes, and also really enjoyed her first day's snowshoeing - although she didn't seem too bothered about booking up for a second day. And she was quite gobsmacked by the size of Courchevel when we got her up La Vizelle(her only previous experiences of alpine resorts had been Seefeld and Niederau).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Neither of my parents ski - foreign holidays were much too expensive! Things might have been different if we had all decided to have a go one sunny spring day in the mountains in Iran, when I was about six, but we decided to go to see the Caspian Sea instead! My boss made me try skiing last year - so it is all her fault! And I'm rather embarressed since I now ski better than she does (teaching gives me an excuse to not be with her!)

My parents have said that they would like to learn - unfortunately they were unable to this year because Mum had heart surgery in January - but she's really looking forward to next year! snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy