Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets with visors

Poster: A snowHead
I noticed over Christmas and New Year a number of ski helmets with integral visors, apart from the price (of around 100 for the helemet and a further 60+ for the visor) what are the dis-advantages/advantages over the helemet /goggle combination?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Advantages ........... You Know you look Cool
Disadvantages.........You dont look Cool Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Its just a fashion thing as far as I know
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
is the visor the bit that goes across your mouth and nose and makes you look like a skiing punk gangster Puzzled

rolling eyes

all started in the park scene in the US didn't it?

or are you talking about the helmets with the in built eye protector/goggle looking thing?

that looks like something out of a scene from Battlestar Galactica!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Disadvantages: People will call you Alex Murphy.
Advantages: Nobody will know it's you.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Boredsurfing, I've seen a few around and they all looked stupid. I've met a couple of people who had them, and they were both c0cks.

Hope that helps.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think they are for all those people out there that always wanted to be an extra in top gun. These bogey's are all over us!

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
those guys make some god awful helmet colourways
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Treacle, Thats the one! We saw a whole family with one each Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dr John wrote:
Boredsurfing, I've seen a few around and they all looked stupid. I've met a couple of people who had them, and they were both c0cks.

Hope that helps.

Go on Boredsurfing, how much did you pay for yours wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As you know I have always been interested in these from the perspective of being a spectacle wearer, I was in a ski shop over the Christmas period and they had some on display so at long last I had an opportunity to see if they were compatible with spectacles.

I must say that I think anyone with specs who is finding problems with goggle inserts, contact lenses etc. could be missing a trick to pass these up just because the fashion police might chase you. The one I tried (similar in style to the one pictured) was comfortable, the visor gave the specs plenty of clearance and the visor colour performed in just the same way as OTG goggles (as you might expect) and periferal vision as good as if you were just wear your specs. If I didn't already have a helmet, decent goggles, contacts and a BF who would laugh at me for wearing one I would strongly consider ownership. I think they could be godsend to anyone that wears glasses IMV.

N.B. Apologies if the above is too sensible for this thread
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman, c'mon you know I don't have that sort of cash........your family were skiing near Les arcs at Xmas weren't you Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum,
Quote:

N.B. Apologies if the above is too sensible for this thread

Probably Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, Yeah thats a good point, I can see definite benefits for glasses wearers
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Glasses wearers just need more expensive googles. My UVEX goggs work a treat. Boredsurfing, well they were skiing and I was moping around felling sorry for myself as the weather was not its usual perfection wink
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, Yeah, we all heard what you were up to with your plastic cups Toofy Grin
snow report
Boredsurfing, Have you got "Iceman" written on ypurs?
snow conditions
Spyderman, good one, a helmet name to match the Monty home runs Toofy Grin

Boredsurfing, you will never again order "Avec Chantilly" Very Happy
latest report
Treacle wrote:
Megamum, Yeah thats a good point, I can see definite benefits for glasses wearers

As someone who wears glasses normally, I now only wear contact lenses when skiing. One fall, one broken pair of glasses and that was all I needed to covert to contacts. I know not everyone can wear them but for me the potential danger from broken glasses was a no-brainer.

Long way of getting around to saying that "Just because you can wear your normal glasses" shouldn't be a real advantage.
ski holidays
I thought you had to be Russian to wear one of these...?
snow conditions
Agenterre, Well out of choice I would ski in my prescription sunglasses and do so often on blue sky days so I take the risk of them breaking everytime I do so. I would certainly consider using a helmet with a visor if I was re-kitting at any point as it would be much more convenient to be able to wear my normal specs to ski in.
latest report
I'm thinking about changing my current helmet for one with an integrated visor. I used to wear contacts for skiing but have had to switch to glasses now as I still need to carry my glasses with me due to not being able to afford vario-focal lenses (bifocals to us oldies). My glasses stay clear under the goggles while I ski, but mist up quickly when I'm sitting on a lift or waiting for people. I've seen some really nice practical ones which have different colours and a very practical system for swinging the visor up out of the way when you do not need it.

As my current helmet is over 5 years old and has had a few knock one way or the other, I think it is coming to the end of it's life. There are more and more options these days and I'll look at all of them and select the replacement on grounds of practicality, affordability and comfort.
What the "Fashion Police say" ist mir scheiß egal! It's my head and eyes I want to protect, but if I have to opportunity to provide them the chance to mock, one has to provide for these handicapped people and make allowances for their needs as well wink
ski holidays
May be of interest to glasses wearers :

http://www.goggles4u.com/sports_Goggles.asp?g1=1&g2=1&S1=1&S2=1&S3=1&S4=1&p6=1&t1=1&t2=1&t3=1&t4=1&l1=1&l2=1&tfm_order=desc&tfm_orderby=g4usort
latest report
Samerberg Sue, On the basis of my 'try on' session I would certainly suggest doing the same. After all you don't have to buy one, but you might be pleasantly surprised as I was by the feeling of 'convenience' about the whole thing when worn with your specs.
snow report
kendub, To be honest I should think the fashion police would be after you every bit as fast with a pair of those as with a helmet with a visor Laughing I must admit I think the visor helmets have been done quite well - they are sleek and very futuristic in look I wonder if a lot of the objections are just coming from those that don't like change and are really rather jealous of the look wink
snow conditions
What about this one for the fashion police?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-Safety-Helmet-Muffs-Visor/dp/B000MTNYIY/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_3/278-1232454-9380560?ie=UTF8&qid=1294503494&sr=8-3-fkmr2&tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
Providing your eyes don't get cold (can't imagine why they would) it seems a sensible idea. Apart from not being able to swap different gogs for different lights (presumably this helmet has interchangeable visors) and wear your gogs without helmet eg at lunchtime, I don't see a disadvantage to this thing. Actually that's probably ruled it out, hasn't it. rolling eyes
latest report
I see, the visor's an accessory and you can wear normal goggles if you want . . . interesting patterns too, Scarpa's gonna love this:

http://www.hmrhelmets.com/textureski.aspx
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have had this problem with contacts although it doesn’t always happen and if it does I use what cyclers where they’re like protective goggles and i wear the contact underneath.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 14-06-12 9:54; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Alexandra wrote:
Disadvantages: People will call you Alex Murphy.
Advantages: Nobody will know it's you.

The famous loudmouth Rugby League player/coach?
snow report
These helmets with visor may look ify, but when your an old snowboarding sod like me, who wears varifocals they seem a good idea. So I think I'll be trying one out next season, even if I do like like a c0ck.
ski holidays
Do there really stop the wind though. Id be interested to find that out. Not something you really know from trying one in the shop.
ski holidays
nixmap wrote:
Do there really stop the wind though. Id be interested to find that out. Not something you really know from trying one in the shop.

me too - i woudl be interested to hear form anyone who has actually used one on the slopes. when its snowing and cold the seal around your face that you get from goggles is a must. trying one of these helmets on I suspect the wind might get inside. however the bottom of the visor is lower down the face than the bottom of goggles so i wonder if the wind is deflected. they do have a sort of rubber bit on the bottom of the visor. again this might aid in deflecting the wind from the eyes.

the other thing i noticed is that if you, like me, would probably use sunglasses most of the time and have the helmet fitted with the yellow lense for low light then you woudl need to push the visor up a lot. it didnt seem to go up very far and left a large overhang at the top of the helmet. this was in my eyeline all the time. would this be annoying or would you get used to it ? I hasten to add I have only tried the bolle version in a shop. woudl be nice to hear from someone who actually uses one. thanks
ski holidays
as a speccy wearer this sounds a bloomin good idea

but if i bought one, it woudl not be going in my boot bag in the hold like my current skid lid
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
I see, the visor's an accessory and you can wear normal goggles if you want . . . interesting patterns too, Scarpa's gonna love this:

http://www.hmrhelmets.com/textureski.aspx

Oooooo... almost matches snakey Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Interesting range of perspectives on this thread ... I ski in sunglasses because I find having something on my face almost claustrophobic and if I had to do it I think I'd probably have to stop skiing. I've always managed with just wearing sunglasses, except I'm having to rethink that after they saved my face from having a pole planted in it last week when I fell and my glasses were the only thing that deflected the pole during a fall and having landed on my back on sheer ice I woke up with whiplash the following day - so it's made me look at helmets and the whole goggle thing because am off to France in 3 weeks and don't want a repeat experience.

I hated the thought of a helmet on the basis that I think anyone wearing one looks like a plonker - 8 year old having cycling lessons comes to mind - and actually, because I don't wear goggles and think normal helmets look utterly stupid, I was stuck for what to do, until seeing a ski instructor and a couple of others wearing them in Austria last week. So, I searched and found the Bolle, OSBE and HMR H2 options, all with built in visor option - I don't have many of the issues mentioned - I don't get cold eyes, I don't wear prescription glasses or contacts, I don't have an ego so care if I look daft - I think ending up with a pole planted in my eye would look much more daft - I do however, get stupidly hot so if I so much as stop for a conversation my glasses already mist up - even more so on chair lifts etc so googles are a no-no for that reason too.

I reckon people who care too much what other people will say are the ones that will do all the ridiculing and putting them down, people who don't care what other people say and just do their own thing will wear them, kids will love them and in a few years they'll be a regular feature of the slopes.

Am going to do the visor thing because it suits me and, interestingly, reading that some people think they look stupid is like a red flag to a bull and has made me definitely want one LOLOL NehNeh
snow report
Reba, Welcome to snowHeads. That's one helluva first post.. Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Reba wrote:

I hated the thought of a helmet on the basis that I think anyone wearing one looks like a plonker - 8 year old having cycling lessons comes to mind -
and actually, because I don't wear goggles and think normal helmets look utterly stupid,

Reba wrote:

I reckon people who care too much what other people will say are the ones that will do all the ridiculing and putting them down, people who don't care what other people say and just do their own thing will wear them, kids will love them and in a few years they'll be a regular feature of the slopes.

hmmmmm Toofy Grin
latest report
got one (carbon style, not too freaky) - all the above views are true....can look a bit silly, great if you overheat and steam up, great if you are clumsy and want to keep gloves on while flipping the visor up, poor for keeping the wind out - and as usual you need to make sure the visor does its real job and lets you see where you are going. Mine is poor in flat light, so I often where sunglasses underneath
snow report
Well the wind has put me off visors. Still the thread did inspire me.

I just got a pair of these.
The goggle has a 136 degree (full field of view) wide angle lens with Line of Sight video capture .
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy