Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginners Resort in France

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys, iv been snowboarding in the USA an few times and i wanna take my girlfriend skiing somehwere in Europe in Feb 2011. But i have no idea where to go and for a reasonable price? she is a complete beginner and iv been 2x before. Any suggestions? Im thinkin Valentines weekend from the 11th-16th Feb. We prolly wont be boarding everyday so dont really want to buy a package holiday was thinking more of just having a quick lesson and spending 1 or 2 days by ourselves on the slopes.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jet_freestyle, welcome to snowheads. snowHead that's peak holiday time in France so an odd few days accommodation won't be easy to find - weekends are particularly difficult as you straddle two weeks and the French "norm" is Saturday - Saturday. Much accommodation will already be fully booked though this is a good place to get some offers of part weeks and there will probably be some good suggestions. You could probably find a hotel in a valley town and drive up to the slopes, or you might be better off in one of the other Alpine countries - it's not much fun for a beginner learning to board on crowded slopes.

Is your girlfriend going to learn boarding or skiing? Makes a difference to recommendations - in order to avoid too many drag lifts, which are easy enough for beginner skiers, harder on a board.

Do you speak French? some of the smaller and less crowded places are not too used to Anglophone visitors.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
well my days are flexible those are the dates that i would prefer, i wouldnt want to go for more than 4-5 nights. Im not really concerend about which country i just figured france being the closest to england would be the cheaper option. and she would prefer to learn to snowboard aswell, although this isnt set in stone and would consider skiing too if it opens up our options. I do not speak french strictly English.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jet_freestyle If you go the week before the 12th Feb, you may have more options available for a short break. Check out the link in my signature if you're interested in Serre Chevalier, we've got flexible arrival and departure up to the 13th February. PM me for more details.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jet_freestyle, hi and welcome! i would suggest booking a flight to innsbruck (for austrian resorts), geneva or zurich (for some swiss resorts).

then check local resorts close to the cities, and book into b&b's in the resort or city and enjoy yourselves.

you can book the lessons once you've decided where you want to go, based on how much it costs to fly to either of those airports, and how much a b&b costs.

that way you don't have to worry about french (and british) school holidays and the accompanying inflated prices. however, it may still be expensive cos of the valentines day thing. hth
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
you should know: France is (generally) the most expensive alpine country. any potential savings on flights will be more than used up by higher in-resort prices.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hells Bells, Yea this place looks great, how do i PM you? i would like to see if you could put together a package for us.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jet_freestyle, I've removed your email to stop spammers. Click here to send me a PM. I'll try and contact you later, I'm at work at the moment.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

you should know: France is (generally) the most expensive alpine country. any potential savings on flights will be more than used up by higher in-resort prices.

flight prices won't be very different, generally. What makes the biggest difference to cost is eating and drinking "out" which is generally more expensive in France - though smaller French resorts (probably including Serre Chevalier) might be no more expensive, or maybe cheaper, than the more expensive Austrian or Italian ones. Whichever country you go to there's quite a big difference between prices in the fancier resorts and the less fancy ones. Finding the right accommodation will be your key question - somewhere near easy slopes for the GR.

Hells Bells place comes well recommended by several snowheads and the availability of flexible dates is something you won't find too often. First week of February would be much better than the second as the major French school hols won't have started.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jet_freestyle, not plugging it too hard, honest, but the nursery slopes and chairlifts are just 200m from the front door.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've sent you a PM. Go to 'Send/Read Messages at the top of the page, and to make sure you can receive them, look in your profile, and check the appropriate box http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/profile.php?mode=editprofile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ok guys thanks for all the help. Does anyone have any information on resorts in Bulgaria? a friend on mine has suggested at looking at some resorts there? and helen i did get your message and will PM you back some questions on your resort!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just another quick point, im getting great prices for flights from Birmingham to Geneva, so prefebly a resort within 2 hours drive of Geneva airport would be ideal
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jet_freestyle, you'll get loads of feedback on here suggesting that though Bulgaria can sometimes be OK, it's cheap for a reason, and if you only have a few days to ski in Europe it would be a shame to go somewhere which could easily be a problem. I've never been, so can't really comment, but my sister went and said she wouldn't go back, if only because of the piles of deep frozen turds around the on-mountain toilets (they're probably much better these days..... Wink). She said she would particularly choose to avoid the end of season thaw.

It's the reports of huge lift queues that would put me off. Go to France, Switzerland, Austria or Italy (the dolomites, in the last, being probably amongst the most beautiful mountain areas in the world).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you want a resort not too far from Geneva La Clusaz would be a possibility - we went by train to Annecy but I think it is an hour or so from Geneva airport. There is a hotel there Alpen Roc which might take bookings of less than a week. We stayed there and it is well located. It is a while since I've been to La Clusaz but I think there are a number of easy slopes near the village centre. I also recall a lovely fondue restaurant across the road from Alpen Roc which would be nice for a romantic valentine's meal. There is a pool at the hotel and I think in the resort too - if it is your girlfriends first time skiing/boarding it would be good to have a non skiing option if she doesn't want to ski all day at first.
snow report
jet_freestyle, Chamonix is very easily reached from Geneva. It's not ideal for beginners in many ways but there are some good easy slopes (Les Houches and Le Tour) and the atmosphere and mountain scenery are pretty stunning. It's a world famous, year-round, mountain mecca - not just a few apartment blocks and restaurants dead outside the ski season.

There are lots of Chamonix experts on this forum, who could guide you in exactly the right direction, including finding the right instructor.
ski holidays
jet_freestyle, probably too far to Serre Chevalier for you then, but I've sent you an email with some options.
latest report
WOW ok seems like i have alot of options and reaserch to do. i liek the idea of being near a town where theres more to do that just skiing becuz as i said we might only ski 1 or 2 days. Also i want to be within 2 hours drive of Geneva as i am planning on hiring a car from the airport and having the freedom to drive around. Easy slopes and accessible ski lifts are all pluses too. So Chamonix sounds like a good mix. and from a previous post i think i will leave Bulgaria and stick to France?Swiss slopes.
SO the problem i will have it seems is finding accomodation for 5 nights? around valentines weekend. Does anyone know what the exact dates are for the French and English school holidays? IM guessing i want to avoid these dates?
ski holidays
jet_freestyle, French holidays begin on 12th February and end on the 12/13th March. Uk half-term is from the 19th February.
latest report
jet_freestyle, The only time I had a requirement to book an odd number of days, and this was over xmas/new year, so not easy, we used this place http://www.riad-des-neiges.ch/crbst_0_en.html

It's just down from Champery in Val d'Illiez, so in Switzerland but on the Portes du Soleil ski area. It is either a ride up by train to Champery from Val d'Illiez or there's a bus to Les Crosets. If you have a car then no problem.

Nearly all the guests when we were there were on short stays less than a week, so maybe a good option for you. The couple who run it are really friendly and welcoming and it's not too far from Geneva. You can get a train from Geneva to Aigle changing there for the cog railway up to Val d'Illiez if you decide against hiring a car.
ski holidays
Would not recommend Bulgaria for the reasons stated above. France and Austria both have lots of options with the latter being cheaper with more lively nightlife.
snow report
Have you considered Les Gets? Very short transfer from Geneva (about 90 minutes if i remember rightly), and very well suited to boarding because there's hardly a flat bit in sight tat you have to scoot along. Plus, there's the amazing Mont Chery area that has awesome powder. We went in March, so later than you're thinking, and it had enough bars and eateries to keep us going and we didn't get bored of what was on offer. Didn't do the rest of the Portes du Soleil but it's there if you fancy an extra 450kms or runs Smile
snow conditions
Flaine has amenity transfer from Genva and is pretty snow sure. Easy to get back to the village as it is basically a bowl. Not too bad for beginners.
snow conditions
Scottish Scrutineer, yeah, but from what i've been told and what i've seen, it looks butt-ugly and that != romantic.
ski holidays
Tignes is home to Alliance, who are meant to be the best boarding school in the Alps. The instructors are English.

Tignes has an abundance of easy blues for taking your first few glides (I love Chamonix but its certainly not somewhere to take a beginner) and there is a free bus around Tignes, Val D'Isere and the villages.

We use MountainSun in Tignes. Good, honest, basic accommodation with excellent food, great staff and 75m from the piste. Its also 70m from the free bus stop. The hotel has a good bar which is much cheaper than the bars in Tignes or Val, in case you want some cheaper nights.

There are some very nice restaurants in Tignes and would be perfect for a Valentines dinner. Upstairs at L'Arbina would be my first choice.
latest report
I've been to Borovets in Bulgaria, and to be honest I think it was great! It depends what you're looking for I think - the skiing wasn't that varied but for realtive beginners I'd definately recommend it. Its cheap and lively, everyones really friendly and although it is true you get what you pay for, in a lot of Swiss and French resorts you're paying extra for the name and classy reputation. (Having said all this I'm just about to leave for Tignes!) Toofy Grin
snow conditions
jet_freestyle,

If you are still looking for a Valentines break we have availability in our studio from 11th to 16th Feb. We are pretty flexible on start dates and durations.

I will send you a PM.
snow report
La Tania & Courchevel 1850 would be a great venue to take the missus on her first snowboard trip. Really nice wide tree lined nusrery slopes and some good free lifts for learning plus a good free bus service that links the resort different stations if she doesnt fancy the last run home. Add to those loads of great bars and shopping you cant go wrong for a first time lady boarder; Check out our catered ski chalets here as we have two in the area and have space in Feb.

Look forward to hearing from you.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Add to those loads of... shopping you cant go wrong for a first time lady boarder

Twisted Evil
latest report
sherlock235, can confirm Flaines "so ugly only a mother could love it... on payday" status, less chocolate box - more pillbox. BUT for those fond of art, the place was a favourite of Picasso, and hosts several paintings and statues of his, as well as works by other modern artists. Plus benefits from perhaps the strangest lift/gondola system i've ever encountered which earned the nickname "The Flying Urinal" among our group.
ski holidays
ok guys im running late and into trouble as i still haven't booked anything. price is defiantly a big factor as i don't want to spend a lot on eating out ect so don't need to go to a fancy resort, also the dates im looking for are 10th feb-15th feb. somewhere within 90 mins of geneva and we will probably only ski 2/3 days while were there! anyone with accommodation that can fit that criteria just inbox me and i will get back to you, already received a few prices.
thanks
ski holidays
For good beginner skiing, see the recent thread on 'Les Houches' in the Resort Review and Trip Report section on here.
snow conditions
ralph@thefreeriderepublic wrote:
La Tania & Courchevel 1850 would be a great venue to take the missus on her first snowboard trip. Really nice wide tree lined nusrery slopes and some good free lifts for learning plus a good free bus service that links the resort different stations if she doesnt fancy the last run home. Add to those loads of great bars and shopping you cant go wrong for a first time lady boarder; Check out our catered ski chalets here as we have two in the area and have space in Feb.

Look forward to hearing from you.

agree...the zen areas especially
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy