Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggles - lens colour?

Poster: A snowHead
Having just bought my first helmet, I'm looking for goggles to wear in bad weather, rather than my usual Oakleys. I've tried goggles before, but do prefer glasses.

This may well be a stupid question, but is there a lens colour which is more 'useful' than another Puzzled I've seen amber and grey but not sure which is for what conditions.

If it helps, I only intend using the goggles in windy or snowy conditions which - I'm guessing - has a bearing on the lens colour which is suitable

Thanks Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For snowy weather and flat light, Amber, Yellow, Blue or Persimmon are all good.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spyderman, great, thank you Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you go look on the oakley website under snow product, pick your goggles and then look for the lenses link you can look at the lenses available to you. If you click on the lens it will tell you how much light it lets through (more light for low vis days and vicky-verky). If your goggles aren't on there just pick another one and then google (or ebay) for your goggle name and the lens you are after.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd go for an orange or yellow lens for the conditions you describe. Personally I find myself in goggles all the time because I always have my helmet on - it's just more comfortable to me. You may find the same, so worth getting something that will cope with most light conditions to avoid buying another pair of goggles/lenses - orange lenses seem to do this through the season and are a sensible compromise all round.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Google Goggles.

Sorry, had to be done.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
All along I've been promising myself yellow goggles for flat light, then along came two decent pairs of goggles at a good price which I ended up buying, but neither had the much wanted yellow lenses in them. I ended up with a pair of goggles with Scott Amplifier black chrome lenses and a pair with Oakley VR50 pink irridium lenses in them. I must admit to reading with some depth both companies websites and I'm still in two minds whether either of those lenses are specifically intended for flat/low light conditions or whether I should have held out for what I wanted. I looked up the replacement lenses for the Oakleys following a few threads here about replacement lenses hoping that I might be able to buy these special yellow lenses that they do and the answer was yes for around £44! Which is more than I paid for the goggles themselves! So if anyone ever find themselves with a spare set of those special Oakley yellow lenses (Hi Amber?) to fit a pair of Stokholm goggles then please let me know Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Amber are for med to bright light, you need hi yellow i think, I used persimmon for lowish light with my old Oakleys and found them fine in all but the flattest light. There's a persimmon lens for your goggles on ebay for £23
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's a great goggle lens feature on the Annon websites http://www.anonoptics.com/tech
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Feast, good link, cheers! it's similar to the one oakley have on their site.

i found a pair of "rayzor" branded goggles on amazon. has anyone used the yellow-lensed goggles in low-light? alternatively does anyone know if this brand is any good?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
TotallyBoard, An excellent spot that is, many thanks Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, You can get some Oakley Persimmon lenses for your Stockholms from the internet opticians for £23.

www.theinternetopticians.co.uk/oakley-snow-goggle-lenses/oakley-stockholm-accessory-and-replacement-lens-persimmon_p-1207.html
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Flet©h, Unfortunately they are showing as out of stock. The ebay stockist appears to have some though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Err........I assume that it's a fairly straightforward process to change lenses in a pair of Oakleys?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, Better off paying the extra few quid for the High intensity yellow lens, which is by far one of the best lenses I have used in flat light. The reason they cost more is because of the reflective coating they need due to the fact that thye let so much light through.
The persimmon lens will be slightly better than your others, but not too much different.
I fear you may find that once using different lenses you will have wished you had gone for the HI yellow. Afterall, it's a great lens!
snow conditions
I had some yellow coloured lenses which were brilliant in flat light, but as soon as it became a tiny bit light I just become blind and my eyes hurt because the lenses let so much light in. I then purchased some oakleys pink iridium lenses which are rose in colour as the name suggests but slighlty mirrored so if the weather changes the goggles still protected my eyes.
If you want a pure flat light lense go with the high intensity yellow lens, if you want a flat light lense that can cope better with brighter conditions go with the pink iridium.
ski holidays
Megamum, Yes. Roll the goggle frame back from the top of the lens. Remove lens from rest of frame. Refit bottom of lens first.

Helps if goggles are slightly warm.

Youtube videos are available. Laughing
snow conditions
Well I've got a persimmon lens to try. Let's hope I don't end up hanker after the Hi-Yellow - Now all I've got to do is fit it and not get fingers all over it in the process!

Update: 6th August 2012

I reported back on my lens choice here if anyone needs to know how they performed

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=90316#2078783

Transcript here:

I ended up with Oakley Persimmons, the Scott Amplifier black chrome and in the finish I sprung for an Oakley Hi Yellow for the Stokholms too.

We had some tough weather this year, loads of low cloud and flat light with just occasional bluebird days. Initially I placed my trust in the Oakley Hi Yellows from all their good write ups, and thought they were doing OK in the low light stuff, but they were hopeless if any degree of light came through. In the finish I got the Scotts out. I have to say that I liked their amplifier black chrome lens. It coped adequately with any brighter breakthroughs in the weather, but despite them being visibly darker than the Hi Yellow Oakleys I would say they out-performed them in the low and flat light conditions and I think the Scotts will be my first choice in the future. They were certainly a lens that was dark enough for bright conditions, but they are really excellent performers in low light, in my opinion outperforming the much praised Oakley hi yellows, and I wouldn't have expected them to be.

For the record, I wear prescription sunnies if I can, but spent much of this year in contacts and goggles.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 6-08-12 20:13; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I have just bought myself a pair of bolle nova with modulator vermillion lenses. Has anyone got these or heard much about them. I was hoping to use them for all conditions as I usually wear sunglasses with a beanie but this year I will be hiring a helmet.
ski holidays
Persimmon is a great all rounder but I woulnd't use it for very bad conditions. It was a struggle for me anyway. I've got a yellow lens now to try out this season.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy