Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel - A Few Questions

Poster: A snowHead
You can also buy a mini pass from the lift pass office for 13 euros for half a day. This will get you on the Ariondaz bubble out of 1650 and the Granges, Mickey and Belvedere drags (the latter two are free anyway). These only access blue and green runs but OK for getting some miles in on the first afternoon on some longish runs back to base. The Granges blue alongside the drag of the same name is a very pleasant and quiet blast. We'll be in 1650 on 6 Feb
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kevin mcclean wrote:
each to their own, I suppose.
A very reasonable proposition. It's a shame you then went on to castigate the choice of many people based on your own preferences as if they are correct and anyone who reaches a different conclusion is wrong. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Brilliant info guys. Thanks all for helping. 24 hours til we leave home, so any last minute suggestions we might have missed please shout.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
for lunch a little farther out at LaTania try Pub Le Ski Lodge
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you get over towards Les Menuires/Reberty try the L'Ours Blanc hotel-restaurant (not to be confused with the bar of the same name at the bottom of Courchevel 1650). The Reberty one has a fantastic sunny terrace overlooking La Masse, fantastic service and food, and reasonable prices for what you get.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kevin mcclean, there is something in what you are saying but this is the wrong thread and in context seems quite patronising. MMonium, was looking for a bit of practical advice and a few pointers not to be told he is having an homogenised ski experience, even if there may be a grain of truth in it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mrs Monium here.

Thanks ever so much for all the info, hints and tips guys - have printed it off (well, stuff that was posted before about 2pm Fri anyway Smile) and will keep it in my backpack seeing as it seems to cover eating in quite a few different parts of 3V (a good way to keep Mr Monium happy... Wink). In fact, I'm not sure we're going to be able to get round all of the suggestions in a week Shocked - will definitely try to get to the suggested runs though (poss not the Grand Couloir, mind...).

Kevin McClean - thanks for your views on 3V, but would possibly have preferred something a little more useful by way of practical input! We're booked, we're going, we'll see what we make of it - I've been before, but years ago on a uni trip and TBH can't really remember it. As far as I'm concerned, I've got a week's skiing which is infinitely preferable to a week at work and even mediocre skiing's a vast improvement on work! Plus with such a big ski area I'm sure we'll find something we like... rolling eyes

Anyhoo, there will no doubt be a trip report when we're back, I've packed the camera, the Maddog guide, and my boots with their fancy new covers (see this thread: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=71767&highlight=), and I'm hoping that reports of fresh snow due this weekend prove to be right... Very Happy

Thanks again, and any other tips do post them here, I'll be checking in before we go Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
daehwons wrote:

second that nice sunny spot as well

Also agree with L'ours Blanc - mate designed the carpet there, he had a long chat with the owner when we visited there first
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
IMonium, have a great trip, looking forwards to the report ! we've just booked to go out on the 29th so save some snow for us snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anyone know if there is a soft play place to take the wee one to if the weather is rubbish?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry, another question Embarassed

I've just read that on the 3 vallees area pass, you are allowed one ski day at either Tignes/Val D'Isere or Plagne/Les Arcs.

Is it easy enough to get to, have a good day skiing and get back again from any of these other resorts in one day?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
shoogly wrote:
Anyone know if there is a soft play place to take the wee one to if the weather is rubbish?

I noticed them constructing on in the indoor area with the lift station in at 1850 (at the bottom of Jardin Alpin lift), it wasn't open while we were there, but it looked like it was going to be open by the following week.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
shoogly, Plagne/Les Arcs. is closer and you can get the funival or whatever the underground train is called from Bourg-Saint-Maurice so you don't have to drive up into the mountains. I did this on a day trip from Champagny before La Plagne and Les Arcs were linked. Actually thinking on, we also did a day trip to 3V, driving to Le Praz. Yes, that's it.. if you drive down and then turn right to Bozel you can carry on up to Champagny and hook into La Plagne. That is a piece of urine. 50km and 1h15m according to google from 1850 to Champagny.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Layne, NickyJ, thanks for the info. much appreciated.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Layne, Not sure which way google is going, but from Courchevel 1850 to Bozel is 25 mins (say 30mins with traffic) and from Bozel to Champagny is 10 mins max... 45 mins tops to go 1850 to Champagny.
snow report
offpisteskiing, I am sure google is very conservative with it's estimates. Mountain roads and all that.
snow report
Layne, or maybe they are driving the HGV I was stuck behind coming home the other night!
snow conditions
Quote:

DO NOT go the the nice looking restaurant near the base of Mont Vallon, shocking service and ridiculous prices.

I second that! 5 years ago (ie the last time we were in the place) they tried charging us €10 for 2 cups of tea. Needless to say we didn't take up their generous offer! The tea bags were very nice, posh, cloth affairs though...

Quote:

if it's crap we'll go somewhere else next time

That can't be the 3V's you are talking about!

Quote:

Plumenvitre (sp) into VT is also a great blast

= Pluviometre on the piste map. You're right - a brilliant blue run, along with Mont de la Chambre and 4 vents (red).
snow conditions
Quote:

if it's crap we'll go somewhere else next time

That can't be the 3V's you are talking about!

Double seconded. Though the 3V may have the odd detractor, this usually seems to come from either ultra hard core skiers, and/or those who are concerned about the high prices. However the sheer popularity of the area is testament to the fact that it ticks the boxes of a great number of skiers of all abilitites, with a massive array of great runs and efficient lifts, and prices which aren't always eye watering if you look around a bit and take advice from your fellow Snowheads. We'll be there on Sunday, oh and three weeks later, oh and in March as well....
snow report
Belle Air, La Saulire, Chenus, Loze (my wife's favorite). Also don't forget to ski Jockey - great run. I almost forgot (slap in my face): there is a great place for crepes in the Village at Courchevel.
snow report
Monium, how was the holiday and did Ski Olympic perform any better for you?
ski holidays
Trenmold wrote:
kevin mcclean, You are right the 3V is crap - please don't anybody go there particularly between 26/2 and 5/3 this year, there will be no snow, huge queues and there are no hills in Courchevel anyway, it is just an illusion.

I heard the exact same thing about the 3V being crap. We still chose to head up the mountain but we're going for a relaxing walking holiday between the same dates you are. You know, since there will be no snow, flat and as you say no hills......! The skiing across 600km of terrain sounds terrible. Laughing

Still, fingers crossed everybody else really does just disappear and leaves what I hope will be much improved fresher sounding slopes for that week. Unlikely, but hey; one can dream!!
snow conditions
I've only spent one week there & though we had a great week, there are other French do-it-all megaresorts that float my boat higher on account of considerations KMcC mentioned. I'll be well happy to go back one day but there's a whole world of skiing to explore before I do. What I just don't get is the folk who never ski anywhere other than the 3V's but it does seem to be one of those areas that attracts a lot of repeat business in that respect.

FWIW, the best runs that I recalled were on Chanrossa side of Roc Merlet above Courchevel 1650 heading over towards 1850, one of the few on-piste areas in the domain IIRC that you could get the impression you were on a wild mountain.
ski holidays
Been to the 3V three times now, staying in Val Thorens, Courchevel and just recently Mottaret.

What I love about it is the sheer variety....high glacier runs above VT, tree-lined runs through Meribel and Courchevel, fast, sweeping, empty runs around Les Menuires. I'm never bored, and there is so much choice when we have the 'where shall we go today?' conversations over breakfast. Food can be pricy or poor quality if you go to the wrong places, but there are many gems out there too.

It may not have the hardcore reputation of Verbier or Chamonix, but easily beats these and almost every other resort for those who, like me, spend most of their time on piste.
snow report
Whitters, spot on.
ski holidays
Just back from 3V. Excellent piste skiing even though no snow for over 3 weeks. Two extremes for lunch. A samll place in Mottaret (can't remember the name but at the bottom by the lifts and by the big brown cow) sells large beers for Euro 3.60 versus the Cap Horn in 1850 near the altiport where the same large beer is Euro 14.00 and if you're on for a real blowout the fruits de mer for 2 people is a mere Euro 169 !!! we stopped by Cap Horn and had 5 coffees for Euro 31 - went elsewhere for lunch. Cap Horn is a very impressive upmarket restaurant if that's what you want.
snow report
richardball wrote:
Just back from 3V. Excellent piste skiing even though no snow for over 3 weeks. Two extremes for lunch. A samll place in Mottaret (can't remember the name but at the bottom by the lifts and by the big brown cow) sells large beers for Euro 3.60 versus the Cap Horn in 1850 near the altiport where the same large beer is Euro 14.00 and if you're on for a real blowout the fruits de mer for 2 people is a mere Euro 169 !!! we stopped by Cap Horn and had 5 coffees for Euro 31 - went elsewhere for lunch. Cap Horn is a very impressive upmarket restaurant if that's what you want.

The brown cow place is excellent, as is the Tabac for cheap pints of beer, and in the evening you can eat takeaway Pizza in there, making for a reasonable night out.
snow report
Monium, how did your holiday in Courchevel go. Couple of weeks til we leave now and can't wait.

Hopefully this thread was useful for you.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=72367 it's all there. Great trip, really enjoyed it. Would definitely go back. Who are you staying with? Have a poke at the trip report, if there's anything specific you want to know feel free to PM me. This thread was very useful, gave us a really good starting point and we got a lot out of the trip - more miles in a week than any other week I think we've ever done.
ski holidays
stevew wrote:
Monium, how was the holiday and did Ski Olympic perform any better for you?

Sorry, missed this first time round. Olympic were much better, their transfers much more comfortable and better organised, so perhaps our message got through from Dec trip. See trip report link above, we'd happily book with them again after the January experience.
latest report
Good to hear Monium. We're with Esprit on our first ever family ski trip. cannae wait!!!!

i'll be printing of an edited copy of this thread and reading it on the plane Very Happy
snow report
Just over a week before we head out... anyone got anything to add?

Also, where's best steep red/black to head in the courchevel area if it's not snowed for a while?
ski holidays
shoogly, Pylones/M/Suisses off the Vizell or suisses lifts get MUCH less traffic than saulire/creux so keep in better condition. Worth checking at the piste office (under the main 1850 gondala station) to see what's been groomed overnight. Chapletes (far left of the map above 1650), is almost always in good condition for a fast cruise. Brigues from 1850 down to Le Praz is a great rolling run through the trees if the snow holds.
snow report
Have a great time.
snow conditions
shoogly, if you're skiing with your Ankle Biters and they're up to blue runs, the "Indiens" piste down towards 1650 is a great run. There's a "genuine" Indian village half way down and the kids can pose in authentic Indian clothes and have toasted marshmallows!

From the Esprit place, it's a button lift, a left turn, a blue road, the Roc Mugnier lift and then blue cruising all the way down. From the village, it's blue and green into 1650 itself. There's a great bakers just opposite the gondola station on the road through town as well. Good for a credit-crunch lunch!
ski holidays
did Pylons 3 times two days ago and it has to the best run of the holiday so far, chalky grippy snow and very quiet. Haven't done Suisse yet but been told good in the morning when in the sun but icey in the afternoon when in the shade
snow report
Check out the Pistes du Jour. Usually blacks and reds that have had an extra special bash overnight - one in 1850 and one in 1650. They are available on the S3V website (so I'm told), on the big electronic piste map at the bottom of 1650, and posted in paper on the notice board at the top of the Vizelle Bubble (highlighted - or actually highlighted and then photocopied so that the piste names are virtually blacked out!).
snow report
Thanks for the additions...

I'm now winding down through a hectic schedule this week to ski as hard as i can for the whole of next week Very Happy

The Flying Snowplough, the wee one is only 2 and this is her first ski holiday. plastic skis are packed for her and we'll see what we can do snowHead

the folks are coming as well and it's their first ski holiday at mid 60s years old, so i'll see if they want to get dressed up as indians on the way down to 1650 Very Happy

My wife is progressing nicely from snowplough into parallel now so i'd like to show her a red or two that's not too severe as to dent her confidence (she doesn't like narrow pistes). Any ideas? Would be nice if us two could just ski away for a nice lunch one day and leave the wee one and grandparents behind Very Happy
snow conditions
Right, i've gone through and edited all of the info on this thread (including the non essential derisory stuff). Copy and paste friendly for anyone else heading out to the 3Vs (focussed on the Courchevel area):

Cheap food locations on mountain

Le Petite Auberge pizzaria in Courchevel 1650.

Another heroic lunch spot is La Dahlia in St Martin; blast the bejesus out of Jerusalem, cruise down, take your skis off, collapse and relax.

Petite Auberge in 1650

A cheap lunch in Courchevel is not difficult to find.. the Bakery in the forum (above Kalicos) is pretty cheap as long as you avoid the pastry end of the counter.. also you can get a cheap panini underneath Chalet de Pierre (the super posh expensive restaurant near the end of Verdon, the green run in to Courchevel). Ski past the outdoor decking where every one is paying too much for beer and then there is a hole in the wall with a few deck chairs.. I like to get a panini from here and tuck it in my jacket (they are always too hot to eat straight away), get back on the lift and find a spot with a nice view.

Boulette in 1650 is great value no nonsense food

Only other thing i can comment on is the edge and wax... get it done before you go. 2 reasons: you can spend the time there skiing rather than hanging around waiting on your skis (it is afterall why you go) and it’s one less thing to worry about.

Bel Air above 1650 is nice. insideoutskiing for more info.

There are two free drags in Courchevel 1650, Mickey on the nursery and Belvedere, both are to the left looking up the slope. They close at about 4.50 or so.
Just down the side road from those lifts you’ll find the Bubble Bar, good for a basic (pannini/pasta type) lunch with a drink for under €10. There’s also Rocky’s bar opposite the bottom of the escalator from the slopes, again a good basic lunchtime snack and drink for less than €10.
Haven’t had skis serviced there so can’t help on that.

Restraunts in 1650, Savoyard opposite the escalator up to the telecabin and a pizzaria on the same side as the escalator about 50 yards uphill. Cant remember the name but its the one that has Evian paper place mats with all the resorts on the Alps drawn on it.

Pizzas there are about 13e.

Run wise, Suisse above 1850 is pretty hard going but is wide enough to kill your speed should you need it.

Also there is a blue running on the right hand side of the family park abouve 1850, ski that and head right into the trees for some messing about.

Out of 1650 take the Ariondaz bubble then ski down the Ariondaz piste to the Signal chair lift, take the signal chair up to the top and ski the red run called Rochers, it starts a bit bland but further down its prime for some off piste over a few small cliff drops if thats your kind of thing. You can see them right under the chair.

DO NOT go the the nice looking reseraunt near the base of Mont Vallon, shocking service and rediculous prices.

L eterlou in 1650 for pizza or tartiflette.
On main street.
for finish of day ski down to le praz hotel peupliers for best vin chauds in 3 valleys have 2 and get bus home.

Francis Blanc sports in 1650 for ski servicing - not sure what price they charge general public, but the skiman has been there a good few years now & they always do a good job whenever I take kit in.

have a look at skimottaret’s website - it’s a mine of useful information on the 3V. I printed off great chunks of the information on food and ski runs, and took it with me last time I went.

Best 3V tip - ski while everybody else is wasting time sitting in restaurants having lunch. Some of the pistes that are crowded at beginning and end of the day, particularly some of the long home runs like those down to La Tania are deserted at lunchtime and offer great fun followed by a quick hop on a lift with no queue to get back up top again.

Bel Air is a nice restaurant, but still fairly expensive. There is a small snack bar underneath it, good prices, extremely friendly service, and great homemade cookies

The beouf bourginnion (bad spelling I know) with pasta in Bel-air is wonderful but as mentioned not particularly cheap. I can’t for the life of me remember the name of the restaurant in meribel near the bubble but it does a wonderful carbonara.

My 2 favourites are both in Les Menuires Valley; Le Chalet de Corbeleys at St Martin Mid Station and Le Grand Lac at the bottom of the Granges chair. Both decent value and Le Grand Lac does a great Nicoise salad (with a plate of pommes frites off course ) There is am added bonus that both have great runs down to them. Jerusalem to Corbelys, always a deserted run and huge fun at a decent lick, and Grand Lac down to Grand Lac.
http://restaurant-legrandlac.com/

After a total of three weeks there I haven’t done anything like all of it, but my must-do runs are Combe Vallon from the top of Mont du Vallon, Pramint and Jerusalem on the Menuires side of Tougnete, and pretty much everything on the Meribel side of Saulire.

I don’t know Courchevel as well, but you’re bound to find your own favourites there.

Monium, Bel-air is great for a drink before a final run down into 1650 at the end of the day, don’t miss Signal piste at the far end of 1650, one of my favourite runs in the whole 3V has to be Folyeres(sp) the blue into La Tania, great cruising run through the trees. Plumenvitre (sp) into VT is also a great blast - have a great time

Monium, Bel-air is great for a drink before a final run down into 1650 at the end of the day, don’t miss Signal piste at the far end of 1650, one of my favourite runs in the whole 3V has to be Folyeres(sp) the blue into La Tania, great cruising run through the trees. Plumenvitre (sp) into VT is also a great blast

the 3 reds off the Chapelet lift in 1650, back down to the lift, are fantastic.

go prepared to get out skiing ASAP when you get there, there is a free button lift that can be entertaining for a couple hours or you may even be able to get a half day pass

Sandwich shop next to rocky’s bar and rocky’s bar for food

For the greatest burger in the world (possibly a slight exaggeration but it is very good...) go to the little snack kiosk by the Sherpa in Mottaret. Also serves damned fine tartiflette. Cheap, tasty and filling.

Go up the escalator and walk past the bubble towards two visible drags and you’re there. Have fun!

You can also buy a mini pass from the lift pass office for 13 euros for half a day. This will get you on the Ariondaz bubble out of 1650 and the Granges, Mickey and Belvedere drags (the latter two are free anyway). These only access blue and green runs but OK for getting some miles in on the first afternoon on some longish runs back to base. The Granges blue alongside the drag of the same name is a very pleasant and quiet blast.

If you get over towards Les Menuires/Reberty try the L’Ours Blanc hotel-restaurant (not to be confused with the bar of the same name at the bottom of Courchevel 1650). The Reberty one has a fantastic sunny terrace overlooking La Masse, fantastic service and food, and reasonable prices for what you get.

I noticed them constructing on in the indoor area with the lift station in at 1850 (at the bottom of Jardin Alpin lift), it wasn’t open while we were there, but it looked like it was going to be open by the following week.

Plagne/Les Arcs. is closer and you can get the funival or whatever the underground train is called from Bourg-Saint-Maurice so you don’t have to drive up into the mountains. I did this on a day trip from Champagny before La Plagne and Les Arcs were linked. Actually thinking on, we also did a day trip to 3V, driving to Le Praz. Yes, that’s it.. if you drive down and then turn right to Bozel you can carry on up to Champagny and hook into La Plagne.

Belle Air, La Saulire, Chenus, Loze Also don’t forget to ski Jockey - great run.

Two extremes for lunch. A samll place in Mottaret (can’t remember the name but at the bottom by the lifts and by the big brown cow) sells large beers for Euro 3.60 versus the Cap Horn in 1850 near the altiport where the same large beer is Euro 14.00 and if you’re on for a real blowout the fruits de mer for 2 people is a mere Euro 169 !!! we stopped by Cap Horn and had 5 coffees for Euro 31 - went elsewhere for lunch. Cap Horn is a very impressive upmarket restaurant if that’s what you want.

The brown cow place is excellent, as is the Tabac for cheap pints of beer, and in the evening you can eat takeaway Pizza in there, making for a reasonable night out.

Pylones/M/Suisses off the Vizell or suisses lifts get MUCH less traffic than saulire/creux so keep in better condition. Worth checking at the piste office (under the main 1850 gondala station) to see what’s been groomed overnight. Chapletes (far left of the map above 1650), is almost always in good condition for a fast cruise. Brigues from 1850 down to Le Praz is a great rolling run through the trees if the snow holds.

From the Esprit place, it’s a button lift, a left turn, a blue road, the Roc Mugnier lift and then blue cruising all the way down. From the village, it’s blue and green into 1650 itself. There’s a great bakers just opposite the gondola station on the road through town as well. Good for a credit-crunch lunch!

did Pylons 3 times two days ago and it has to the best run of the holiday so far, chalky grippy snow and very quiet. Haven’t done Suisse yet but been told good in the morning when in the sun but icey in the afternoon when in the shade

Check out the Pistes du Jour. Usually blacks and reds that have had an extra special bash overnight - one in 1850 and one in 1650. They are available on the S3V website (so I’m told), on the big electronic piste map at the bottom of 1650, and posted in paper on the notice board at the top of the Vizelle Bubble (highlighted - or actually highlighted and then photocopied so that the piste names are virtually blacked out!).

Oh and you have to get across the 3V to L’Ours Blanc restuarant. It’s in Les Menuires, and I’d quite happily eat there every day on a ski trip. If you have a nice lunch on one day all holiday, that’s the place to do it. Their pizzas are great, their salads are huge, and their steaks are unbelievable.

La Tania is a good place for cheap lunches.

or

Try the bakery in 1850 (in the Forum where the ice skating rink is), grab a baguette and head up the mountain to a sunny spot.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy