Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Total and utter blatant rip-off (or stupidly expensive and terrible value, if you prefer)

Poster: A snowHead
daveqpr wrote:
They even had the cheek to say "mercie" as we left.

Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dr John, wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Anyone who pays 22 euro for a sausage and chips has to be daft, frankly

Aye, thick as a whale omelette, me.

Quote:

Especially as French "saucisse frites" are usually ghastly frankfurters

It wasn't, as it happens.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

the "plat du jour" a generous salad, or enormous and delicious omelette, will be about the same price.
My exact and invariable lunch choices in France - plus a glass or two of red. Job done. And it's possible in the 'Brit-infested ski factories' too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jonm, aw, don't worry chuck, even Homer nods.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jonm wrote:
I paid €22 for a sausage and chips in the Folie Douce the other week. If its translation is what I think it is then I guess it's true. Still, at least the dreadful, dreadful chanteuse wasn't outside ruining great songs on the glorified karaoke like she was at Easter.

Wow I'm glad they kicked us out then!

First day of last years EOSB about six of us were first to the 'Folie', the place was totally empty but the music was pumping at full volume. I know I'm getting old but it was painful, the barman couldn't even hear the drinks order! As we wanted to talk about our awesomeness as ski gods we went and sat on one of the benches round the side. As soon as we sat down a guy appeared from the 'Folie' to tell us we couldn't sit there as the tables were for the resturaunt. No problem we said we're hungry can we have a menu. We are not serving food was the answer!

We went and found a cheaper and more friendly bar. This also resulted in between 20 and 40 snowheads meeting each day for a drink at a bar lower down for the rest of the week, that's a fair bit of business to lose!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
anarchicsaltire, I was talking about the one at Val D'Isere but am sure the same applies at the Val Thorens one. At least admin negotiated us a snowheads discount on the beers at the latter!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Embarassed

Mind you even with the discount, the beer was nearly half the price at the next bar!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
anarchicsaltire, indeed. At the other bar (I can't remember its name?) you could hear the conversation, too! Cool
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jonm, for good value, you should have gone back to that nice little restaurant in Tignes Les Boisses! Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jonm, the Montana
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
some of you lot need another hobby - skiing, penny-pinching and moaning are poor bedfellows.

If it's too expensive for you, don't buy it. If you didn't ask the price, you're a fool
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
red 27 wrote:
some of you lot need another hobby - skiing, penny-pinching and moaning are poor bedfellows.

If it's too expensive for you, don't buy it. If you didn't ask the price, you're a fool

Agree, skiing is expensive, if you want cheap, there are many other options. Also I have paid £40 fish n chips in London, £10 a pint in Tunbridge Wells and £52 for a gin and tonic and a beer in Tokyo, such is life. Sometimes you just have to pay and deal with it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27 & lightningdan, if the thread was named "Where are the cheapest possible places to eat and drink" you'd have a point. But it isn't, and you don't.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jonm wrote:
anarchicsaltire, indeed. At the other bar (I can't remember its name?) you could hear the conversation, too! Cool

I doubt anyone on the EoSB can remember the name of any of the bars we visited!
latest report
davkt, the Montana (plus the Viking, the Frog, Room 34...... wink )
latest report
Skiing is expensive but it doesn't have to be so stupidly expensive as some of the examples in this thread would suggest. Some of those prices are completely daft. The only dafter thing than the prices is people paying them.
snow report
davkt, I think holidayloverxx has them tattooed somewhere Toofy Grin
ski holidays
daveqpr wrote:

The whole of the UK is a rip off though, great country, pity about the attitude, greed and insularity of some of its people.

There .. corrected your grammar and spelling rolling eyes Do you judge the UK by Hyde Park ice-cream salesmen on a hot summer's day?
latest report
anarchicsaltire, Nah, I have L'Oxalys tattooed..... wink
latest report
genepi wrote:
My S-I-L told me they paid 22euros for 2 hot chocs with brandy in La Poudreuse on the slopes in Peisey Vallandry. Twas always a rip off, & it seems the new owners have done nothing to redeem its reputation Confused
What were you doing letting the S-I-L go there?
ski holidays
Good grief!
even at £/chf1.45 this thread makes prices in Verbier seem really quite good.
And even in the cafeteria places quite decent stuff too.

Chez Danny today (high end clientele!) 3 hot chocs with cream, 1 expresso and 1 cappucino = CHF22.40
I thought that was a bit toppy....sounds like a bargain compared to the places mentioned above.
snow report
What ?! Ski resorts are expensive !? What have I done! Shocked
To answer the original post, if you're in Le Jump in 1850 it's worth 8E a pint, don't be tight.
latest report
daveqpr wrote:

As for my location ... you mention Luton in your subtitle.......

Hurtle's sig refers to my house......and your point is?
snow conditions
£28 for 2 G&T's in the Hilton Trafalgar roof bar. I was astounded at the price but it didn't stop me buying a 2nd & 3rd round. Location Location Location it's not just the French that cash in.
snow report
£18 for two singles of Bushmills at a hotel near Birmingham airport. I just left them on the bar and told them to stop being ridiculous. It wasn't even a good bar.
snow report
rungsp, Chez Dany is one of the best mountain restaurants around, I don't begrudge them a bit of cheek

Jerry, haha, fair point. I did see one particular snow bunny there doing up her boots and displaying a rather fetching gold lame g-string. That was worth €8, I'll grant you.
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
daveqpr,
Quote:

The whole of France is a rip off

Yeah, right. rolling eyes

interesting, however, that the only responses to this thread have been from people having experienced 'rip-offs' in France, no contributions form anywhere else .... read into that what you will
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
smithski, actually I experienced quite a few 'rip offs' in the many years I was skiing in Switzerland. But I was in a stupidly expensive resort and so wasn't surprised, which is why I didn't bother posting 'The whole of Switzerland is a rip off'. Because it wouldn't be true. Just like it's not true that the whole of France is a rip off.
latest report
smithski wrote:
interesting, however, that the only responses to this thread have been from people having experienced 'rip-offs' in France, no contributions form anywhere else .... read into that what you will

I got charged stupid money for a small bowl of soup and the worst cappuccino in the world by a very sullen waiter in Zermatt. That doesn't qualify me to criticise Switerland as a whole, so I shall refrain.

On the other hand I've had what I considered to be very good value for money meals and drinks in France. That doesn't qualify me to argue that France is a good value ski nation, although it does seem to provide me with an argument against ludicrous claims about what a rip-off French skiing is rolling eyes
snow report
I guess the term rip-off is a question of perspective in some cases.... rolling eyes
latest report
rob@rar, exactly right. Many's the time I've had plat du jours and a bottle of red between 3 or 4 of us for about €15-€20 a head, which added to the location and view represents tremendous value in my book. I've been skiing a fair few years though, so know what to look out for i.e. never, ever, ever expect value at a big self service at the top of a major lift.

It's just a shame the blatant profiteering of some restaurant and bar owners spoil things for the ones giving decent value.
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:
red 27 & lightningdan, if the thread was named "Where are the cheapest possible places to eat and drink" you'd have a point. But it isn't, and you don't.

???????????????????

Pointing out that where you have food and drink contributes to the cost, and nothing to do with "cheapest".
snow conditions
There is bad value to be found anywhere.
We had a meal for 4 people at the River Restaurant at the Savoy 9 years ago, terrible meal, sent 2 dishes back, sevice wasn't great either. Cost £485.00.
snow report
Quote:

£485.00

Shocked

I recall somebody mentioning a totally absurd sum they'd had to pay to hire fairly ordinary skis and boots in St Anton recently. And Ray Zorro mentioned some painful bills in Wengen, too.

One difference is that British people who ski in Austria seem to go to quite a wide range of smaller, good value, resorts - just look at the lists in the TOs brochures. They don't all go to the fancy and more expensive places such as St Anton or Ischgl. Most British people who ski in France have only heard of a handful of world famous mega resorts which are pretty expensive because they are in a sellers market - their pistes are busy even in mid January. I don't think many TOs seem to send people to the French equivalent of little places like Niederau (thankfully wink ). So comparisons are often of "apples and pears".
snow conditions
Also, the rents charged by the lift companies, to the mountain top companies, must be eye-watering.
snow report
bar shaker wrote:
Also, the rents charged by the lift companies, to the mountain top companies, must be eye-watering.

I think you might have hit the nail on the head.

In the Dolomites where I have skied regularly, the land you ski on, the lifts and the mountain restaurants are mostly in the private ownership of the original farmers and their descendants. This allows for healthy competition and keeps prices sane.

A lot of the French Ski Stations are corporate affairs that with the assistance of the French authorities were able to compulsorily purchase the land off the mountain farmers for what now seems like a pittance considering the wealth that is now being extracted.

I know which model I prefer!
snow report
luigi, an interesting point. A little at odds with what I was told when Serre Chevalier converted to hands free ski passes. This is second hand, so may be inaccurate, but it was suggested that the various lift barriers clocked the through flow of skiers, which dictated the percentage of the ski pass take each landowner got as skiers passed through/over what was essentially their land. I never thought to question the logic (or not), so can't challenge the person who told me. As I say, that may not strictly be accurate.

Perhaps someone can shed some light on that.
ski holidays
Chasseur, that's how it works in the Dolomites and may well be the situation in Serre Che too, but that's not a place where you see extortionate pricing either, so a case in point?
latest report
luigi, quite possibly, though I found SC not overly different from other larger French resorts last season - not quite at the same level, price-wise, but not that far off. Certainly there's not much in it from the accommodation/holiday cost from what I looked at. Different matter though.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy