Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Reberty /Les Menuieres 4th March

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

We actually did this last year and drove overnight on the Friday. Left about 6pm, Eurotunnel about 8pm. Couple of stops including one near Lyon where hubby reclined his seat and went to sleep for and hour while the kids jumped all over me! Breakfast about an hour later then up the mountain. Arrived in resort about 10am, lovely folks in the chalet let us dump our stuff and we went to the Ferme for a tartiflette. They actually let us in our rooms about lunchtime. It was not too bad, OH ended up doing most of the driving as I didn't really like driving on the wrong side of the road in the dark! (I know, wimp)

The kids will be 2,4 and 7 this year. We are currently have a discussion (read 'heated' discussion) about whether to do the same again or to drive during the day on Friday, leaving early, aiming to drive as far as Lyon-ish, do an overnight stop, then get up early on Saturday and head up the mountain.

So my questions:

- Anyone done both? How do they compare? Is it going to take significantly longer driving during the day?
- Any experience on whether the kids are going to be better going during the day? Or is it better that they will probably sleep most of it overnight?
- Any thoughts on where to stop?
- What are Formule 1s like? I know it's going to be basic but are they clean, quiet, safe etc?
- If you stop do you unpack the car, or leave everything to the mercy of thieves? Can't say I fancy unpacking and packing again! Is the parking at these places secure/patrolled/undercover?

Sorry if this is going over old ground, I have searched the old threads but not quite found what I was looking for.

Tizz
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Formule 1 and similar are absolutely fine. Quiet (given they're inevitably by a main road, provided you leave the windows shut), clean comfortable and very basic.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Most F1's have parking. The one in Chambery North you can park right outside the bedroom windows. Also there is so much coming and going, plus so many cars with loaded boots, rear seats ect.

We pay about 35 euro for a room, they normally have a double bed, with a single bunk over the top of the double. In the days we used to go at half term we would put 4/5 kids in one of these rooms, they loved the adventure. However now no kids on the trip we have one of these rooms between each couple ( 4 adults in one car ).

You get a wash basin and mirror and TV in your room. The loos/showers are usually in each coridoor and we have always found them to be clean. We just take flip flops or crocs to walk to the shower and back.

If you book on line, they reserve your room and you don't pay till you arrive, however if you realise you cannot make it due to snow or traffic, as long as you phone and cancel by 1800 you do not get charged.

If you are going at half term i would definitely book.

Also if you google earth the F1 you can find where the nearest restaurants are.

We go early Friday morning drive to Chambery, stop around 6-7pm at the F1, go for a meal, get a nights sleep, leave at 0600-0700 on Saturday morning and are usually skiing by 1030-1100

The one in Chambery North has Macky D's nearby, Pizzeria, a Chef Steak restaurant and a Super U supermarket all in 5 mins drive away

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 5-01-11 14:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Formule 1 are good when you want the minimum fuss and you can arrive in the middle of the night if you want since everything is done with credit cards and door codes (you don't need a person to let you in). Breakfast is rather minimal, though. There is (or was when I used them) A double bed with single bunkbed over per room, though nobody bothers you about how many you actually have in there. All very automated (the shower rooms clean themselves between customers). Reminded me of the film Mon Oncle.
I've only done day time. We started very early (in London) and arrived at Meribel in time for tea as we watched the last skiers coming down.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 5-01-11 16:46; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks very much for the info.

Chambery Nord sounds like a good option.

snowball, You say they don't really care how many people are in the room. So we should be fine with one room for the 5 of us. The girls (4 and 7) could easily share a single bunk. And the 2 year old seems to prefer sleeping with Mummy and Daddy anyway rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Eeek! Just checked Accor Website and it looks like Chambery Nord and Sud are fully booked on the 4th March!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Annecy and Bourg-en-Bresse look like they have space, any thoughts?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bourg-en-Bresse is okay to stop. Not quite as far as Chambery, so if you wnt to ski on Saturday you may have to get up a bit earlier. Only stayed in Bourg once in around 1999-2000 so cannot remember what it is like. There are 2 other F1's in Chambery. Or there are two in Grenoble
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tizzyb, can only really say that there is no way on earth I would drive through the night Shocked Although accept it has benefits.

We have 3 kids (10,10,8 ) and always drive most of the way Friday and stop at Chalons-sur-Saone. An early start from there means a supermarket shop in Albertville and early afternoon of sorting out skis and lift passes in resort.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
overnight stops within striking distance of the resorts are very, very, heavily booked on those busy Friday nights during the French school hols. Fortunately that's not one of the Paris weeks (which will help on the road down) but still get something booked asap.

Overnight/day driving depends such a lot on your kids. Some kids sleep well in the car, some don't (one of mine would fight to stay awake, and so does one of my grand-daughters). Some kids are horrendous on long trips during the day, others will watch their DVDs and doze and be fine.

We never unpack the car at an F1 - would take forever. Fingers crossed. Yes, you could sleep your two girls in the top single in an F1 and share the double below with the 2 year old. Time was when I used to do that sort of thing.... Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We stayed in a b and b near Chambery, and spent early evening in Chambery centre, which is worth a visit. B and b`s are only marginally more expensive than roadside hotel chains, and infinitely cleaner, often with a lounge area , and breakfast included. Google "chambres d`hotes " plus area that you are interested in. We were at Les Menuires by 8.30, feeling fresh.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I usually stay in Bourg en Bresse in the suburbs of Viriat or Montagnat. Hotels are usually cheaper & not as busy. Forest Hotel in Montagnat was very good. This leaves a fairly easy drive in the morning to get to resort before midday and get an extra 1/2 days skiing in resort. Bonus is that you can take the D roads via Amberieu en Bugey & Belley to Chambery & avoid all the remaining tolls & usually just as quick.
Only other comment from this thread re leaving things in the car. last Jan I left 2 pairs of skis in locked top box on what was supposed to be a secure car park
In the morning found top box locks forced & voila minus 2 pairs of skis. At least they had the decency to leave my chains and shovel that were also in the box. Inside car should be OK but watch the box.
Can also cause insurance claim problems, but that's another story
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tizzyb wrote:
. So we should be fine with one room for the 5 of us.

I'm not sure if this is official so don't be too blatant about it, but certainly people do it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, I was just going to ask that question. Very Happy

Great info everyone. I am pretty sure that we are making the right decision going during the day.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You pay for the room at F1, rather than per person, so it seems logical. I assume you looked at the picture of the standard room on the website.
snow report
Yep, saw the picture. But it does say max 3. people. We'll have to get daughter 2 to stand on daughter 1's shoulders and put a big overcoat over them. The 2 year old can be taken in in a boot bag. wink
snow conditions
tizzyb wrote:
But it does say max 3. people.

Oh OK, I missed that. I haven't used them for years so perhaps they have said that since, or perhaps the situation is the same as ever. Better refer to people who have used them more recently. (I think someone else on this thread said something similar).
ski holidays
We've put more than three into a formula 1 hotel room. We will be doing the same again this year.
ski holidays
tizzyb, I have young kids and have done both. Driven loads of times with just adults and half a dozen times with kid or kids. though mostly overnight. Eldest of two kids is only 5.5yo as background.

You will always hit more traffic during the daytime but the route, exact timing, weather conditions and time of year will make it variable. Many years ago I was driving out of the 3 valleys late afternoon the w/e the school holidays start and the traffic was queuing for 10-15 miles. When I've been driving in the day I've usually hit a few snarls even off peak.

Our kids sleep pretty good in the car and for me this is one of the big plusses going overnight. The ferry was particularly good because we got on at 10 at night, the kids went bonkers in the soft play area, had food and drink, and then zonked out on the other side. You could drive with little distraction for several hours. On the way back, skiing the Saturday, doing a supermarket/restaurant stop somewhere like Grenoble/Chambery. Same effect. If they are awake they get bored and need to be constantly amused.

The only F1 I stayed in was pretty awful (and I am not that fussy), it was near Lyon. I wouldn't stay there again out of choice. When we drove to Germany we stayed in a motorway place one time that was far better. For me, if I am going to stop, it may aswell be somewhere half decent. Otherwise I may aswell kip in the car.

I've always left car packed. Also had to do this when tunnel shut last year and we stayed a Premier Inn near Ashford. TBH. The roof box is locked and most stuff is hidden in the boot. As always try to leave nothing visible.

You may aswell try staying overnight and driving the daytime once. Seem people seem to like it that way and it would settle the arguments.
latest report
Should have said the 10-15 mile queue was in the opposite direction - going into the 3 valleys.

Just another thought - and quite of stating the obvious - but driving during Friday means taking an extra days holiday. And for me annual leave is like gold dust!

If only one person is doing the driving it is quite tough. I use personal headphones with loud music, red bull type drinks (which is the only time I drink them) to keep me alert. Using the APRR tag for the first time recently helped aswell. All keeps the car warm and quiet so the kids and non-drivers are happy.
latest report
Hey Tizz,
Can recommend both B&B Hotels (www.hotel-bb.com) and Mister Bed (www.misterbed.fr) both are very basic but IMO better than F1.
Additionally, they do family rooms for 4 at some of their locations (you might be able to squeeze 5 in) which are good value.
Personally, I prefer to drive overnight due to the traffic, but my kids (13 & 16) now prefer the overnight stop.
Would also recommend a telepeage tag to avoid queues at tolls.
Enjoy !
ski holidays
Yeah, I think we're going to do this one in the daytime, at least then we can compare. I have booked an F1 because it was looking so busy, but I paid the slightly higher price so I can keep looking around and cancel it if necessary. Will check out the 2 mentioned above.

How do we get the telepeage tag? If drove me nuts having to slow down for the peage.
snow report
tizzyb, if you don't mind using your credit card for the tolls, the queues for the unmanned CC booths can save nearly as much time as the telepeage.

Although a topic of much debate, be careful if you have a high car and roofbox for telepeage lanes
ski holidays
I got mine via SANEF on line: http://www.sanef.com/Offres-Liber-t/Offres-Liber-t/Offres-Liber-t
If your French is not so good, like mine, I found it very easy to complete using babelfish translation.
But you will probably need to sign up to the €2/month tariff via your creditcard, I couldn't get it to accept my bankcard on the pay-as-you-go option.
latest report
tizzyb, info on the peage tag

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=68750
snow report
Forgot to mention, you will also need to pay a €30 deposit for the tag.
snow conditions
The deposit for the APRR doofer is 10 Euros which you get back off your first bill. It is then 2 Euros in any month you use it. They debit it from your UK bank account. To save you looking you apply here:

https://www.telepeagepourtous.fr/fr/particulier/souscrire

It's all in French and you have to put 00000 in the post code and the post code in the address fields. But it all works.

At the booths look for the "t" you can then drive through at up to 30kph.

There is more info in the thread I linked above if you need it.
latest report
Cheers. So to drive down to the 3-valleys you'd need both an APRR and SANEF?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tizzyb,

where are you in Herts coz i live about 3 miles from Hertford, if you want to e-mail me your e-mail i will answer all your questions, as we drive accross to skiing twice a year every year and have done for last 10 years, we have an APRR doofer, its the only one you need.

PS. Not a weirdo, just offering a bit of help Very Happy

Tim B
snow report
either is ok, they all work throughout the whole network, but sounds like the APRR is the best one for paying by credit card at the moment.
snow report
Don't do it, Tim's a complete weirdo Skullie Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Layne,

Your correct, probably not a good idea. Now, where did i put that bag of Wurthers Origionals!!!!!!!!
snow report
Quote:

At the booths look for the "t" you can then drive through at up to 30kph.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Only in some of them.
latest report
Hee hee, I think most of my questions have now been answered! Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy