Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morillon & beginners

Poster: A snowHead
(Oh I love organising group holidays - see previous thread; La Plagne is no good as they didn't have the right sort of toiletries.)

Anybody have views on Morillon 1100 for complete beginners? http://www.massifescape.com/support-files/grand-massif-piste-map.pdf

Seems like quite a good place for beginners with some nice easy looking runs within shouting distance of the village. Also the ski passes are quite a bit cheaper than the bigger resorts which seems like a bonus - I seem to recall in my first week not doing more than about a dozen different runs.

(And the ESF fees seem cheaper too, is that normal?)

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
M1100 is great for beginners... there's the nursery slopes right in the centre and then there's a lovely long (5km) green for them to play on too so they feel they're actually going somewhere..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
James the Last, nice place ... but you do want to be in Morillon 1100 rather than down in the village.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You tell me...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
James the Last, excellent for beginners and plenty more within easy reach, for the more experienced. The Jam Park is fun towards the end of the week when they've mastered some stopping and turning, and Marvel (the long run marcellus, refers to, is ace for everyone Very Happy

1100 is a little station above the main town of Morillon and, if you've got a car and are happy to drive down and up, there are more restaurants etc in the village - however 1100 does have a couple of restaurants, bars, shops etc., so no big deal (unless you need loads of choice, of course)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
1 vote for Morillon 1100 rather than village, 1 vote for Morillon village rather than 1100. I love snowheads! Wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Morillon does have some beautiful runs that are ideal for beginners, and also plenty of other skiing available if wanted/needed.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I used to Live in Village and it's not really too much of an issue, especially if you're going to have a car as you can easily get to Samoens, Taninges etc.

There's usually plenty of parking at the cable car and lift queues aren't too bad (after the 08:45 pre ski school crush).. plus gives you more options on Restaurants.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
James the Last,
If you want to stay in the village and there's a crowd of you, some friends of mine own Chalet Elisabeth and Apartment Elisabeth accomodating 9 and 6 people respectively. See www.chaletelisabeth.co.uk . They're nice people. Hope it's OK to mention this on here - there's no money in it for me, honest. Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have stayed in both and my son did his first 3 or 4 ski holidays there. It is an excellent place to learn with the famed "Marvel" 5km green (though not so much fun now they've flattened the 'steep' bits Sad ) and there are a good selection of easy blues and reds coming back to les Esserts. You can get over to Les Carroz on blue slopes within the Massif pass which gives a bit of a sense of travel. If it is open, the blue back down to the village is delightful too. Given the choice, I'd probably prefer to stay in the village as when we were there 1100 was very, very, very ,very quiet in the evening as opposed to just very very quiet in the village.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi James,

Depends what you want I guess...

about 10 years ago we stopped in a chalet at Morillon during a Feb half-term. If we got the timing wrong the first lift up out of the village was a 2 hour scrum with the odd fight breaking out - not very pleasant!
As other people have said however, there's much more choice of everything down in Morillon as opposed to 1100.

A few years ago 5 of us stayed in a self-catering place in 1100, there was a beginner in our group and she took to it really well. And like others have said, the long green that is the Marvel was great. 1100 was of course limited in terms of shops/restaurants etc, but when we were there a few years ago, the slopes below 1100 were closed so it was a big plus for us being able to ski back Very Happy

We're now looking ahead to 2012 and are very seriously considering stopping in 1100 again - suited us perfectly Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi
we did Morillon at 1100 last march, it was great, the famed 'marvel' run is brilliant for beginners but can get very busy if you hit it at the wrong time of the day, most of the blues are fairly easy for beginners and they have a seperate beginner area at 1100 that's totally seperate to the main runs so you don't get any fast skiers shooting through as we have seen in other resorts.
The links through to samoens etc are also quite pleasant unfortunately we were there during a week of very low cloud and fog which made things a bit tricky and also often found it to be raining down in 1100, although snowing up the top, but even with the lack of visibility the slopes were still easy enough to navigate for the most nervous of skiers....
the only other thing lacking as previously mentioned is bars/etc there is one pub there that has live music once a week and couple of very small restaurants, pizzeria and another one but you do need to book otherwise you maybe waiting for quite a while!
enjoy!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Most important thing for beginners is the quality of the ski school - look for some recommendations from knowledgeable locals.

Choice of ski school/instructor is more important than choice of resort - within reason.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Choice of ski school/instructor is more important than choice of resort - within reason.

Unless the resort can only be left by a difficult tow, or entered by a red - or even a blue that is lethal and crowded by 3pm, or is notorious for fog, or has only one short suitable run for beginners, or etc. etc.

I certainly agree that instructor is important, but I've no idea how you work out in advance whether your instructor is going to be any good - or even whom you're likely to get. You're (realistically) very significantly at the mercy of the ski school your chalet gets kickbacks from.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

You're (realistically) very significantly at the mercy of the ski school your chalet gets kickbacks from.

Only if you choose not to research the options yourself. I agree that if you book group lessons the individual instructor you get is a lottery, but if you choose a good school, you can be reasonably sure of quality (there are lots - and you can get good recommendations on snowheads). If you have a little group of beginners a series of private lessons for them could work well.

Persuade your beginners that paying a bit more for good quality lessons is worth while.

We do tend to have contradictory views about resorts and locations - because we are all different. If you tell us a bit more about what is most important for your group it will reduce the contradictions. Convenience of skiing, quality of ski schools available, picturesque village, good choice of lively bars, likelihood of good snow - you can't have it all.
ski holidays
Convenience of skiing, quality of ski schools available, picturesque village, good choice of lively bars, likelihood of good snow and cheap. In a catered chalet with 4 courses, good wine, hot tub, ensuite bathrooms with baths and Molton Brown. And all for £300.

That covers all the various requirements of the group....
ski holidays
Then I'd tell 'em to arrange their own holiday, James the Last, and fix up something which suits you!
ski holidays
Quote:

Convenience of skiing, quality of ski schools available, picturesque village, good choice of lively bars, likelihood of good snow and cheap. In a catered chalet with 4 courses, good wine, hot tub, ensuite bathrooms with baths and Molton Brown. And all for £300.

Simple!

What was wrong with La PLagne?

I also went to Samoens last season. I think you will find Morrillon very good for beginners. The long blue which runs next to Marvel is also very good - we went down there a few times - even the experts liked it as they liked bombing down it.

I sensed that the slopes around there are relatively quiet as lots of people go across to Flaine but not many come across from Flaine to Morrilon / Samoens.

I put a video together last year and most of the footage is in Morrillon (apart from that of the boarder). Don't expect to see any great skiing!!!! (click the 720p button for HD)

http://youtube.com/v/fZLdpyvBQis
ski holidays
e17phil, thank you for upsetting me.... god how I miss not living there Sad

Also, the one part of the video which wasn't Morrillon is from a lovely run which James the Last shouldn't overlook.

On the assumption that the beginners of the group get on ok then toward the end of the week the whole group can go out, across to Flaine, get to see Mont Blanc and do the 14/15km Green run of Cascades..... make a whole day trip of it.... and half way down pick up the phone and get picked up by the Skidoo from Gers Restaurant.. have a great meal and then finish the days skiing in Sixt and catch the bus back home to Morrillon.

I used to round a clients week off with this day trip and most loved it... virtually one day on one run... ok not the best for boarders and not extreme enough for the really experienced but even so there's pretty much something for all abilities of a group topped off by a great lunch, no crowds, peace and transquility.. all in all a great experience and most guests fondest memories making them want to come back for more..

(BTW e17phil did you find the "hidden restaurant" (aka Jonny one tooths) which was behind you at 03:34 of your video?... best and cheapest food in the whole of the GM by far)
snow report
Quote:

e17phil, thank you for upsetting me.... god how I miss not living there

Sorry Very Happy

Quote:

(BTW e17phil did you find the "hidden restaurant" (aka Jonny one tooths) which was behind you at 03:34 of your video?... best and cheapest food in the whole of the GM by far)

We didn't - we were there for 3.5 days and only 'found' Morillon on the last day. We all really enjoyed it as it was so empty that we just chilled out going back on the Blue again and again.

When we did Cascades the zig zag road towards the end was ice all the way down. It didn't half become tiresome by the end of it!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy