Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How busy was your New Year trip?

Poster: A snowHead
I was quite amazed at how quiet Tignes/Val d'Isere was over the New Year week.

New Year's Eve was very busy but we avoided lift queues by having a lesson that afternoon. Other than that it was much, much quieter than I was expecting and, after New Years Eve, it was positively deserted.

Santons can be one of the busiest pistes in VdI. On Sunday morning, my wife and I had it to ourselves. When we arrived at Tete de Solaise, at 11am for a Chocolate Chantilly, we were the only people there. At 2.30pm we got a cable car on the Olympique lift up to the top of Face and, instead of queuing for the standard 5 minutes, we shared the car with one other couple.

How was the rest of Europe over the holiday?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was in LaRosiere and it was quiet all week. NewYears day we had the pistes in both countries virtually to ourselves. Longest que all week was probably 3min's (happened twice) and that was at the end of the main blue runs in LaThile just as everybody came out from lunch. Most times you skied strieght to the lift.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Strange, we thought La Plagne was busy for New year week than previous years, particularly over at Champagny.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
spent 4 hours stuck in traffic on the 2nd as the whole of Holland seemed to be clogging up the roads in Austria with there summer tyres and inability to drive in snow.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Saalbach was a lot quieter than the same week last year too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
PdS seemed quieter to me. But the Swiss side has a lot of "drive ups" and they don't come if there is the slightest chance of ice, or fog, or even cloud forecast. I suppose if the slopes were 20 minutes away I would be choosy too.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Moderately busy in Les Arcs, although it felt very busy as the Christmas week was very, very quiet.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I was quite amazed at how quiet Tignes/Val d'Isere was over the New Year week.

I thought the same when I was there this Easter.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Last few times we went at Xmas I was surprised it wasn't busier - however I wouldn't have thought you could judge the Xmas just gone as average due to the weird combinations of transfers being offered with Xmas on a Saturday.

Slight drift, but do wonder whether the VAT and everything else will impact the number of people going skiing this year?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not surprised Val'd and Tignes were quite with the crazy prices they charge in the resorts.
People haved copped on to being ripped off.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chick, Other than two stops in Brev (the second one of necessity but never will I buy anything there again) I thought the whole of EK was reasonably priced.

Coffee at 3030m on Grande Motte for €3.50 isn't a rip off. Massive Lasagne/tartiflette with water and a basket of bread, plus a coke for €16 at L'Arbina isn't a rip off.

Even half pints or van chaude at €3 a glass, on New Years Eve night, next to the main area, seemed quite reasonable to me.

I think prices have come down from what they were two years ago. There are less people around and there is more competition for the € in their pockets.

Except in Brevieres.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bar shaker wrote:
Chick, Other than two stops in Brev (the second one of necessity but never will I buy anything there again) I thought the whole of EK was reasonably priced.

Coffee at 3030m on Grande Motte for €3.50 isn't a rip off. Massive Lasagne/tartiflette with water and a basket of bread, plus a coke for €16 at L'Arbina isn't a rip off.

Even half pints or van chaude at €3 a glass, on New Years Eve night, next to the main area, seemed quite reasonable to me.

I think prices have come down from what they were two years ago. There are less people around and there is more competition for the € in their pockets.

Except in Brevieres.

Very similar to what we paid for those items in L2A over Christmas, which is supposed to be one of the cheaper resorts. We didn't really "shop" about though.

I know these numbers mean nothing in context as I don't have previous years. But I heard our rep talking on the transfer, he said that Christmas week in L2A they had around 120 guests, and New Year week they had just over 300.

It felt very quiet over Christmas week, only queueing for white eggs or Jandri first thing in the morning. Some small queues at Cretes lifts when ski schools were starting in the afternoons.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The unusual (and staggered) changeover days did make things odd. By New Years Day it was quiet here (Les Saisies)I think lots of people had left on NYE. I drove to Geneva on New Year's Day and the road down was deserted early (though the airport was busy) but by the time we came back up, around mid-day, the road down had come alive, though it was still far from a usual busy changeover day. Before that the resort was very busy - significant queues at the main lifts and some local knowledge and timing needed to avoid long waits. Christmas Day was very quiet - they all poured in on Boxing Day, I think.

It's like the grave now.....loads of parking spaces right by the main lifts snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Flaine was very busy - had to go off piste to get away from them all.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hammerite, Our hotel (Les Melezes) was only half full over New Year.

It is full this week and next... with Belgians!
ski holidays
3 Vallees very quiet the week before Christmas, but busy the following week
snow report
Montgenever was pretty deserted the whole week 26th t0 1st Jan - didnt queue for any lift anywhere on the mountain at any point - it was really quite eerie - price rises coming!
snow report
Sestriere/Sauze/Sansicario were quiet too last week. Hardly any queues and lots of space on all pistes. An away day to Montgenevre was also really quiet last Thursday and prices everywhere very reasonable especially in Italy. 1 cafe americano and 1 cafe latte for 2.5 Euros must be a record! Not complaining. 6 blue sky days and fab snow too. Great week. Very Happy
snow report
La plagne bellecote was extremely busy on NYE the queues from the colossus and arpettes chairs almost met in the middle of the piste. New years day was exactly the opposite though!
snow report
Les Gets was very busy but no more so than last three years. Helps going somewhere you know well to avoid hot spots. Spent a day in St Jean d'Aulps, very quiet but then snow not amazing. Avoriaz busy but easy to spread out.

OTOH New Year's morning was as quiet as it is every year.........aaahhhhhhh what a delight Very Happy Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy