Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ladies Ski Boot for large calf and big feet 10.5

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
In glorified detail:
I have a UK size 10-10.5 foot, not particularly wide and have struggled for the last 10 years in a pair of Salomon ski boots.
When my husband recently bought a new pair of boots I tried some on myself and found that ski boots really could be comfortable after all. The problem was I tried on a pair of size 12 Dalbello Aerro 65's but although they were way too big for me they were a really good fit around the calf. Finding these boots in a 10 or 10.5 or maybe even 11 (until I can try them on I don't really know) is proving impossible, unless I want to drive a 300 mile round trip or order them from the same shop and ship them back if they are wrong each time, which will cost a fortune.
The Dalbello web site is almost next to useless as the recommended suppliers who don't actually carry this style and my other option is to pay in advance for a set and then wait for them to be ordered in and returned and re-ordered until the fit is OK. This isn't a great option as I want to source them before my ski trip in February.
So, based on this does anyone out there have any suggestions on another make/style of boot I can try ? I'm only an intermdeiate skier and only use the boots a few weeks a year so I'm not really looking to pay more then approx £200 for them.
Suggestions welcome please.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
the biggest problem is the sizing on ski boots is so far out you wouldn't believe it, we need a bit more detail than just size 10-10.5.... wide? narrow? high, low? big calf, skinny calf etc etc

if you believe the charts that some companies use then a 10/10.5 would be a 29.5 whereas if you put your foot in a boot shell you will probably only need a 27.5 shell based on the space inside the shell, as the size comes down the calf dimension changes and the boot sits lower on the leg

you need to get yourself to a boot fitter rather than just randomly trying to order boots in a percieved size, only then will you really get the fit that will help progress your skiing in comfort....where are you based? we may be able to guide you towards someone who can help
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds good to me. I know I'm either a 29 or 29.5 I've tried on so many boots in so many makes I've lost count but my foot size is always around this. I've never really had an issue with the width of my feet, so I'm thinking they come into the 'Normal' category Smile but, perhaps that's because all the pain I get is where my calves are so uncomfortable. I'm in the Midlands/Staffs area.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
CEM wrote:
<snip>

you need to get yourself to a boot fitter rather than just randomly trying to order boots in a percieved size, only then will you really get the fit that will help progress your skiing in comfort....where are you based? we may be able to guide you towards someone who can help

Seconded - Mrs agw has large calves and I'm pretty sure that ill-fitting hire boots were responsible for a nasty calf muscle tear in March '09. Before we went again I dragged her round to Snow and Rock for her own boots inc custom footbeds.
Perfect fit, confidence restored. As CEM indicates - there's more to boot fitting than just trying on boots. They will (should) make you try shells without the linings to check the fit all round.

It will be the best money you ever spend on ski kit - I don't think there's anyone on this site from the one week a year piste bashers (i.e. me) to the professionals who would disagree.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
logixhel wrote:
Sounds good to me. I know I'm either a 29 or 29.5 I've tried on so many boots in so many makes I've lost count but my foot size is always around this. I've never really had an issue with the width of my feet, so I'm thinking they come into the 'Normal' category Smile but, perhaps that's because all the pain I get is where my calves are so uncomfortable. I'm in the Midlands/Staffs area.

STOPPPPPPPP!!!!! have you been measured physically as a 29/29.5 and have you been shell checked in that size of boot, i am an 11 uk and ski in a 28/28.5 shell and in some models can get into a 27/27.5 shell

if you are in a boot with is TOO big the cuff height will be TOO high and it will hurt the calf
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy