Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wow... I hadn't realised that Switzerland was quite that expensive!

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from the Wengen and credit card bill is in and I am rather surprised at how expensive it compared to France last year Sad

5 day full Jungfrau lift pass £191 (exchange rate was 1.46 CHF/£)
5 day ski and boot hire £165

That compares to my last trip to Val Thorens in April 2010 (when exchange rate was 1.06 €/£)
8 day full 3V lift pass £228
8 day ski and boot hire £89

Admittedly we made big savings by prebooking the ski and boot hire at Easter, whereas there were no online discount options available in Wengen. All in all - ouch! Shocked
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The CHF is very strong at the moment (It was about 2.45 five years ago) and can't see it getting weaker in the near future....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ray Zorro, and in France I was still paying only €3 for a large beer earlier this week, (although I could find a bar where it was €7 for a large beer) Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ray Zorro, Yep, I'm still traumatized by Zermatt.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hence no MSB there this year Sad
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The exchange rate just keeps getting worse and worse. I've been to Switzerland the last 3 years and it wasn't too bad. I noticed though when I spent a day in Geneva recently how much more everything was costing. Although I'm flying to Zurich next month I've decided to travel on to St Anton. Still got train fares and an overnight on the way home to pay for in CHF though.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ray Zorro, 8 day ski & boot hire in VT for 95€? Wow - that was cheap, what did you get, Salomon sx61's and 220cm Atomic ARCs? Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
marky,
agrred
3 years ago CHF was looking great value for family compared to France. Taking into account free kids travel with parents etc.
Now its a different story,as CHF is mighty strong again

if only we had friends with free villa in klosters like mr osbourne (still we are all in this together)
ha wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing wrote:
Ray Zorro, and in France I was still paying only €3 for a large beer earlier this week, (although I could find a bar where it was €7 for a large beer) Very Happy

eh? Where? It doesnt count if its from a supermarket wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had Swiss holidays three and four years ago, loved being there again (the cost had put me off for many years) and looked forward to having regular holidays there once again. I think not. Sad
snow report
 brian
brian
When we bought our flat in 2006 it was £1=2.2CHF. The next year it peaked at £1=2.5CHF and everything seemed splendidly cheap. Even when it slid to 2ish it wasn't bad. ~1.5 really hurts. Crying or Very sad

Thank **** for rental income in CHF!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yup - ChF is strengthening aginst the £, which the government and BofE are keeping weak against the €. So good for business generally, but bad for skiing in Switzerland. I am looking forward to going to Wengen for a week soon - but that might be my last trip to Switzerland for a while.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agreed....the CHF/Sterling exchange rate is really painful at the moment. Current tourist rate today appears to be about £1 = 1.42CHF. This makes skiing in Switzerland very expensive. I'm sure that a weak Swiss Franc is good for their exports....but must be hurting their tourist industry??
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian,Look on the bright side, your asset in RESORT G is worth 50% more due to the exchange rate.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It is hard, especially when, like mine, your"children" eat like grown-ups .. we were there for a week over New Year and twice paid £30 for a very light lunch on the slopes, basically chips and soup. We ate out once in the evening, £70 for pizzas and one drink each. So we do a lot of eating in now!

Far fewer English voices on the slopes now although it does not seem to have deterred our dutch friends.
latest report
 brian
brian
Frosty the Snowman, indeed. When you account for the fact it's a leveraged* investment, we could get out now with a 150% return. Shocked Couldn't bear to part with it though, tbh. Actually, although it psychologically hurts to pay the over the counter prices, I think that with the current low interest rate and almost full occupancy last winter we have overall been better off than a couple of years ago.

* sorry. Embarassed
snow report
brian wrote:
When we bought our flat in 2006 it was £1=2.2CHF. The next year it peaked at £1=2.5CHF and everything seemed splendidly cheap. Even when it slid to 2ish it wasn't bad. ~1.5 really hurts. Crying or Very sad

Thank **** for rental income in CHF!

Similarly for rental income in euros. The exchange rate has really hurt those who live in France, but still take pounds into their UK accounts.
snow conditions
I'll make you all sick now, when my dear old Mum first went to Wengen it was 13 Chf to the pound and £50 (currency restrictions) would pay for a months full board at a reasonable hotel plus ski pass /hire etc

To be fair prices in Swiss Francs have probably not more than doubled since I was a small child 35+ years ago, it's the lousy British pound that has made things so expensive for us
latest report
We are off to Switzerland in February and like most will be spending wisely in the resort and eating in than popping out for a evening meal aswell as making picnic lunches instead ....specially as I now have four to feed !!
latest report
In other news, Pope revealed to member of a global religious movement.
latest report
 brian
brian
Dr John wrote:
In other news, Pope revealed to member of a global religious movement.

Did he? Was he wearing a raincoat or does he have a cunningly designed set of robes? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
brian, he was presented, stuffed on a plinth, to L. Ron Hubbard
ski holidays
I'm going to Verbier in 9 days and my jaw has been progressively dropping lower and lower as the full price gradually sinks in. Adrenaline Guides are about average for Verbier, and at CHF625 per day (about £415) are poor value compared with our top French guides at €360 (£300). These prices are for a group of 6 by the way.
CHF 180 per night for a twin room (plus CHF 24 per person for dinner) might sound expensive but was the cheapest on the Verbier website, excluding self catering.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 5-01-11 13:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Switzerland isn't expensive. We are cheap with a nasty devalued little currency.
latest report
I have been visiting Switzerland periodically over about the last 20 years in summer and winter, skiing, staying with friends and holidaying. It has always seemed very costly to me with a high cost of living. Meat and clothing have always seemed very pricey along with, surprisingly, chocolate! Boot hire at about £40-£50 per week sounds about par for the course.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowball, is the guiding price higher just because it Verbier or is that a general Swiss level for a days guiding?
ski holidays
stoatsbrother wrote:
Switzerland isn't expensive. We are cheap with a nasty devalued little currency.

^
+1
ski holidays
Alastair Pink, and stoatsbrother nice sound bite. But as I think Britain has something like the sixth largest economy in the world, I don't think we are doing too badly for a small country. The £ is quite nicely positioned in terms of its exchange rates and how they in turn affect our economy. On a selfish note, I do wish that the CHF was not doing so strong, since Switzerland is where I like to ski best; but I think the £ is undervlued - and I rather hope it remains so for GB plc.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was surprised by how not-shockingly-expensive Zermatt was in general.
snow conditions
Oh b****r , seeing as we're off to saas fee in late Jan Sad

Good job we've got a TO chalet with food, childcare, lift passes, and food and wine included

Dont mean to sound smug but reading that back it looks like it Sad
snow conditions
Yeeeeeees this'll be the third year in a row I've been, and it's shocking this time around. Shame really as you don't really want to be worrying too much about the cost of things when you're on holiday. No souvenirs for the family this year!!
ski holidays
I've just booked my 6 day pass for Grimentz for £153. Not as bad as I was expecting.
latest report
No poo-poo it's expensive, was in Verbier beginning of December and forgot how lumpy it was. Brekkie at the offshore, two eggs benedicts and two milkshakes CHF55 and a poo-poo spag Bol on the hill was CHF20. I was chatting to the owner of a chalet business who lost £250k when the CHF dived. Cocktails at the farinet will seriously eat into your loot, fortunately we were out with a very generous lad who had a 20k tab behind the bar, can't see that lasting him anywhere near a season though! What was a bit harsh was the cable down to le chable CHF11 one way, proper rip off. Anyway it's only money and you can't take it with you I'm off to Bulgaria at the end of the month which will be virtually free in comparison!
ski holidays
achilles, the Chinese might feel their overall economy and currency are doing well. Doesn't mean many of them will be afford to ski in Switzerland. We do have a rather shonky currency and getting shonkier all the time.
snow conditions
Colin B wrote:
The exchange rate just keeps getting worse and worse.

No no, better and better Little Angel
latest report
for those working there of course Smile
snow report
Quote:

Brekkie at the offshore

Superb eggs benedict though, you must admit
snow report
Dr John, the best! Laughing
ski holidays
Gsyfreerider wrote:
No poo-poo it's expensive, was in Verbier beginning of December and forgot how lumpy it was. Brekkie at the offshore, two eggs benedicts and two milkshakes CHF55 and a poo-poo spag Bol on the hill was CHF20. I was chatting to the owner of a chalet business who lost £250k when the CHF dived. Cocktails at the farinet will seriously eat into your loot, fortunately we were out with a very generous lad who had a 20k tab behind the bar, can't see that lasting him anywhere near a season though! What was a bit harsh was the cable down to le chable CHF11 one way, proper rip off. Anyway it's only money and you can't take it with you I'm off to Bulgaria at the end of the month which will be virtually free in comparison!

Its good to see a donkey leaves its field now and again Laughing Laughing

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 6-01-11 0:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
achilles wrote:
Alastair Pink, and stoatsbrother nice sound bite. But as I think Britain has something like the sixth largest economy in the world, I don't think we are doing too badly for a small country. The £ is quite nicely positioned in terms of its exchange rates and how they in turn affect our economy. On a selfish note, I do wish that the CHF was not doing so strong, since Switzerland is where I like to ski best; but I think the £ is undervlued - and I rather hope it remains so for GB plc.

It is horrific, dude.

Britain was number 1 and ruled the world about ~100 years ago.

Now it's the 51st state of America and a sub-parliament of Brussels and sinking fast.

There has been a huge destruction of the nation's wealth over the past ~5 years.

Mega inflation, mega debt, mega taxes and mega unemployment have undermined everyone's spending power.

The Pound is weak and a laughing stock on global exchanges.

I was in Zurich airport a few weeks ago and locals were talking about using 5-Pound notes as toiletpaper because it was cheaper Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy