Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thieving Bar-Stewards

Poster: A snowHead
Chasseur wrote:

That's quite interesting. Could that suggest:

1) If there was an hotel worker involved, the resultant time shortage before transfer from the resort leaves minimal investigative/trouble causing opportunities

Yeah, even the local Police (who were friendly and helpful) suggested that this was quite likely why they waited until the end of the week. They did follow it up and interview some hotel staff but nothing ever came of it. Of course we have no proof that the hotel or staff were involved but there was no forced entry and if the lock had been picked by another hotel guest why would they relock it?

If you are using a locker through the week it is probably a good idea to take your stuff to your room on the last night and not wait until the departure day if this is to be believed. Sorry to go on but I like to warn as many people as possible.... I would hate anyone else to be as gutted as we were.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ski resorts are not stuffed full of honest people, i suspect like any walk of life, some are, some aren't. If you leave something behind, you're taking at best a 50:50 chance it will still be there.

I've had "nicked":

-Pair of Goggles, worn once: dropped out of my pocket walking up a road, went to check 5min later and they'd vanished.
-Brand new jacket: Left behind the "ski hosting desk" in a hotel and that went walkabout at some point during the 6 hours it was left there.

Easily would regard both as my own fault, but equally another day they could have both been there still. I also had two pairs of skis nicked in a house burglary, but that's a different matter!

Would suggest swapping skis and locking them with a cheap lock is the way forward for minimal amount of hassle for the most protection.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lots of locks for stuff like this for sale in B&Q. they're the same quality of those that you get in bike shops, but half the price.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've just bought brand new 2011 skis, and I need a decent lock for them!

I've got one of the small cable locks, but that won't be any good. I used it on my old skis, more to stop someone taking them by mistake.

I guess I just have to be resigned to the fact that if someone really wants to take my skis, they will. It's what insurance is for.

Would something like this from B&Q be any good?

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9284247&fh_view_size=50&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=cable+lock&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=search&ts=1295128105382&isSearch=true
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Picadilly, trouble is, that sort of thing is bulkier than I would want to carry. I'm inclined to agree with being
Quote:

resigned to the fact that if someone really wants to take my skis, they will. It's what insurance is for.
Like you, I do use one of the puny cable locks as some sort of gesture and usually try to split my skis with someone else.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, it is a bit bulky I agree. But I do carry a packback, and I figure a lock that needs boltcutters to get off has got to be better than something a Leatherman can just snip.

It's worth a go anyway. I'd like to at least get ONE week out of the new skis without someone half-inching them!

Although even ski boot room security leaves a lot to be desired these days.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Picadilly, The locks that Megamum uses fit into a ski jacket pocket without any problems. A leatherman or a pair of snips, like the image earlier on in the thread, wouldn't harm them. I expect she'll be along shortly to give you the link.

Search for: Kryptonite KryptoFlex 815
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When skiing with a group & stopping at a restaurant we usually circle up and pass a ski right & a pole left. We then each leave our skis at a different rack. That way nothing matches & you can rest a little easier with your vin chaud.
CW Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle, Yes there are lockable racks all over Whistler though they are very little used.

It is a bar that goes through an aluminum U shaped rack. So to lock poles in too they would need to have a solid hand loop not a strap in 2 parts that could be undone. Even then it may slow them down enough not to bother with yous and go elsewhere.

http://www.skikey.com/gallery/ check them out here. Get the locks on the mountain or in guest relations at the bottom. You do need a buddy to be holding them though whist you are buying your lock !

I have never had a problem though.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I found a small 8mm cable bike lock that coils up small enough to fit in a pocket, in my backpack I don't even notice it. As said above, it'll resist basic small side cutter attack.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Worried by this thread, I bought one of these.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/lifeventure-mini-cable-lock-780163

I will be using it. It is light and seems effective. So many unlocked skis around, I hope it will put ours down the list of options for thieves, though as many have pointed out, if they really want them they will get them.

snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BMF_Skier, thanks for the tip, but I've already been to B&Q and bought the big one!!

It's 10mm thick and goes through the bindings no problem. Will take more than a Leatherman to get through that mofo.

Although you could probably just unscrew the bindings if you wanted the skis that badly. I suppose filling the screwheads with plastic padding is a bad idea Madeye-Smiley

Help, I'm dissolving into paranoia.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mac22 wrote:
Boris wrote:
Quote:

Does make sense to try and have some sort of marking on things.

I find snowHead stickers deters most people

If only there were some simple and convenient way of purchasing such stickers... Puzzled

Our luggage locator packs contain 4 security stickers you can use on your skis/poles/googles etc they were just reviewed in last months Ski & Board magazine. www.globalbagtag.com (snowheads get 25% just enter discount code SNOW) or if you are feeling lucky enter the next Snowhead competition where you could win a set of tags/stickers.

Chris
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cardweg wrote:
When skiing with a group & stopping at a restaurant we usually circle up and pass a ski right & a pole left. We then each leave our skis at a different rack. That way nothing matches & you can rest a little easier with your vin chaud.
CW Happy

We do something similar, but I still get concerned that a "grab and run" thief will still nick a set of skis without looking. We'll then have 2 people with problems! I generally solve it by trying to put them near the back of any rack plus picking seats with the best view as possible.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have one of those board locks and to be honest if i was a board thief Id pack a small pair of pliers and cut straight hrough that. It's for this reason that Im heading to the hardware store tomorrow morning and buying a short length of chain. I plan on pairing this chain with my bag lock.
ski holidays
The simple solution is take all your kit with you. If restraunts wont allow you to take your kit inside to prevent it going for a walk then simply go somehwere that will. The bars and restraunts in most resorts seem to be suffering because of inflated prices, most people avoiding these places has forced them to reduce their prices. Well if everyone starts to take their equipment inside with them eventually they will get so cheesed off but have no choice but to spend some money on decent ski lockers that keep your kit safe... Its in their interest as much as it is ours.

For the past 3 years ive heard different stories of skis and boards going missing and the problems getting worse. I have new kit for this season and i know it will never leave my side when i stop, if i need the loo then ill make sure someone with me babysits it. Its pathetic but at least i can ensure ill be coming home with the kit i went with.
latest report
Ever since we have had our owk skis we have used ski locks ( ok the cheap ones)

I like to think that most people take by mistake and the lock stops that

I also like to think that most food stops are busy enough that someone with a pair of bolt cutters will get noticed

also i have found that the addition of a strip of DYMO with your name on it works well ( add a bit of superglue, and seal over the edges as well)

hand held dymos are very usefull and very cheap ( we have to label our kids stuff up anyhow before we

will give those kryptonite locks a look though ( also the cheapo bike lock that are about £5 in the diy stores will stop a pair of side vutters for a few minutes
so they might be worth a look.
ski holidays
gazza2, dymo - that's a great idea and I've got one of those gadgets too. I'd been wondering how to name my skis (and poles) without damaging them. Thanks.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy