Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best resort within 2.5 h of Munich

Poster: A snowHead
Group of us 50/50 skiers and boarders all fairly experienced, flying into Munich for a long weekend on the snow in late Feb. Was wondering what resorts the snow heads would recommend.
Renting a car so will be driving but trying to keep the journey fairly reasonable (2-2.5h max) Only exclusion is Myerhofen where we went the last two years.

Btw. I do have a separate thread re accommodation in a resort but thought this would warrant a new thread, hope that's ok.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
St. Anton?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mayrhofen, its less driving that 2h, St Anton, A little more than 2h30min
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Saalbach, 2h driving
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kitesurfer, Have a look at some options here http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Munich.html
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=62376&highlight=germany

Best? Very debatable
Worth a look? Absolutely
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Westendorf and Kitzbuehel are two large skiing areas easily accessible from Munich that I would recommend.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
freeheelskier, you'd need to be hammering it to reach Saalbach in 2hrs.

2.5 would be possible but if its later on a Friday or on a Saturday, forget it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BEST is St Anton.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anywhere in Ski Amadé... 2hr 15 from Munich (freeheelskier, 2hrs to Saalbach... maybe in a bugatti veyron??)

About 3 hrs from Saalbach.

clarky999, 'BEST'.... really?...

Come and check out Burton's Stash Park at Flachau Winkl! http://www.thestash.com
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
flangesax, Yep!! Although I guess it depends on what you want.

I'm not into freestyle so not fussed that Anton doesn't have a good paark, and the piste skiing is pretty average, but it's very hard to beat the quality of offpiste in St Anton. And the Mooserwirt wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ischgl.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
flangesax wrote:

clarky999, 'BEST'.... really?...

Yes, really. Not neccessarily for everyone, but for quality of skiing, the best.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999 wrote:
flangesax, Yep!! Although I guess it depends on what you want.

I'm not into freestyle so not fussed that Anton doesn't have a good paark, and the piste skiing is pretty average, but it's very hard to beat the quality of offpiste in St Anton. And the Mooserwirt wink

If you include Lech an Zuers I'd say the piste skiing was much better than average, but yes, the main reason to go to St Anton would be for the tough ski routes and the off piste. And the apres ski of course.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mike Pow wrote:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=62376&highlight=germany

Best? Very debatable
Worth a look? Absolutely

Seconded. I don't understand why Germany is so overlooked for skiing. Short transfers, cheap prices, uncrowded slopes...
snow conditions
I just wonder how many people have skied enough different areas 2.5 hrs from Munich to answer this post... rather than just going with the TO led flow?...

Ps - being a bit of an back bottom as a) I am bored and b) St. Anton is one place I haven't skied yet!.... (but I do have quite a healthy list of places I have skied within the criteria) Embarassed
ski holidays
robboj, flangesax, Perhaps a little optimistic, 2h to Saalbach, but lets say 2h30min with Saab Turbo Very Happy
ski holidays
freeheelskier, be prepared to pay the IG-L fines for driving above the 100km limit. I've just been hit with a 50 Euro fine for being 18kmh over the limit at Hallein (I now know where both the fixed cameras are! Mad ). The incident took place on 11.10.2010 and the "love letter" from the Hallein police centre came through on 20th Dec.

The route via Saalfelden is limited to 80kmh at best, and for every one-cow settlement you are down to either 50kmh or even 30kmh. Dream on with your Saab!

I've skied all the resorts south and east of Munich - nice interesting, some good powder lines but not interlinked. Prices for day passes are reasonable and accommodation is extremely cheap compared with more established places.

2.5 hours of Munich Airport is a silly criteria - it depends so much on when you travel (day and time), what the weather is and how many people from Bavaria are also taking a day off to ski. This morning (a normal working day) the queue to get off the A12 at Kufstein-Süd was 5kms long and growing as I drove past at 08:00. It took me nearly 2 hours to drive home from Scheffau this evening instead of the normal 30 minutes. Bluebird day and Bavarian schools are still on holiday until Monday - c'est la vie! rolling eyes
latest report
haha - 2 hours from Munich on the wrong day and you may well still be in Germany. I usually try to do Munich-Austria section of autobahn late at night. Dreading driving back on Sunday evening, when most of Germany gets funnelled on to 1 bit of autobahn on their way back from crafty ski weekends.
ski holidays
flangesax wrote:
I just wonder how many people have skied enough different areas 2.5 hrs from Munich to answer this post... rather than just going with the TO led flow?...

Ps - being a bit of an back bottom as a) I am bored and b) St. Anton is one place I haven't skied yet!.... (but I do have quite a healthy list of places I have skied within the criteria) Embarassed

I've skied a few wink
latest report
Yeah, I've only skied St. Anton and Lech/Zurs anywhere near this area - and I can thoroughly recommend St. Anton.
I am a student though...so obviously I would!
ski holidays
freeheelskier wrote:
Mayrhofen, its less driving that 2h, St Anton, A little more than 2h30min

Plus one, as I believe the kidz (with a Z) say these days.
ski holidays
In the Kitzbühel Alps you might think of Brixen or Fieberbrunn. Not as glamorous as some other resorts but with a car (and the right pass) you can then ski any of the Kitzbühel Alps areas, a different one each day (and including Leogang/Saalbach/Hinterglemm). The other suggestions of St. Anton or Ski Amadé are equally valid.
latest report
Mr Technique, yeah maybe in the middle of the night with a holiday so no HGVs on the way.

The WHOLE of the Inntal autobahn (i.e. A12 - Kufstein-Innsbruck-Landeck) is now a 100kmh limit with lots of dark cars places at strategic points with their laser pistols at the ready, along with a cash register! The A95 (Munich-Garmisch) is a mixture of 120kmh with sections of 80kmh due to repair work to barries etc.

Dream on boys! Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
espri, yep, Fieberbrunn works for me (awesome rodelbahn too). Nice compact ski area.

Kitesurfer, why car? 2:30 by train gets you to where you need to be and you can forget traffic worries. Nobody has mentioned Fugen & Hochfugen so I just have.
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue wrote:
Mr Technique, yeah maybe in the middle of the night with a holiday so no HGVs on the way.

The WHOLE of the Inntal autobahn (i.e. A12 - Kufstein-Innsbruck-Landeck) is now a 100kmh limit with lots of dark cars places at strategic points with their laser pistols at the ready, along with a cash register! The A95 (Munich-Garmisch) is a mixture of 120kmh with sections of 80kmh due to repair work to barries etc.

Dream on boys! Laughing Laughing

I once took the back road out of Munich Airport because we were told of huge probs around Rosenheim. Went via Erding, Dorfen, Wasserburg, Segsdorf and dropped into Austria around Lofer. Took slighlty longer than a free-running autobahn but no traffic. I assume you've tried it too. Does it get busy / was I lucky?
latest report
Bode Swiller, you were very lucky! Weekly pile up at Hohenlinden usually fecks things up for those not in the know!

I use that route when I have to get to the airport on a changeover day and have at least half a dozen variations I can use as necessary. I also listen to the very local (and puerile) radio stations because they update each other all the time plus tell you where the fuzz are taking holiday snaps for punters who think Germany has no speed limits! Toofy Grin

BTW it's SIEGSDORF - that was one hell of a runaround you took!
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, Not a runaround if you look at the map. More direct than the autobahn (we were heading for Kaprun). I guess at least we were moving and you can always turn off and look for rat runs.

Sincere apologies to everyone in Siegsdorf. My first spelling mistake.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller, that's why loads of trucks use it to avoid paying tolls - predominately Czech and Eastern European and there are not many safe overtaking opportunities.

There are faster less obvious routes though wink
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue wrote:
There are faster less obvious routes though wink
you want me to beg?
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, careful... she does!!

Nice to see this thread taking a decent snowHead 's turn with some very healthy suggestions - and loads I haven't skied!... that is the one problem with season passes - it pains me to even think about forking out more for a jaunt into the nether-regions!
latest report
Lets say 2.5 Hours from Munich at 6AM.
From the start of the A95 in Munich to St.Anton can be done in 2h15.
From the start of the A8 in Munich to Kitzbühel (Kirchberg Fleckalmbahn) can be done in about 1h20 ( I've done it faster but not necessarily completely legal the whole way )
From the start of the A8 to anywhere in the SkiWelt, about 1h10
Hintertux, about 2h20
Hochfügen, about 2h
etc.

BUT this is only when leaving Munich at 6AM. Anytime later than that and you can easily add another hour or more to those times Sad
snow report
Bode Swiller, I could give you dozens but they are not marked - going through the Ebersberger Forests for example on ST2080. Dead straight road and no HGVs, but you have to know if the local police are around taking pictures as the maximum permissible speed is only 100kmh.

Avoiding Rosenheim and dropping on to the A8 at Frsadorf or Bernau. The problems around Rosenheim usually mean that it is backed up around the Inntal Dreieck (A93/A8 interchange) It is rarely backed up in both directions so it depends on the time of day you travel - mornings/midday =southwards; late afternoon/early evening = northwards.

Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, actually your highly secret roads are marked on my map NehNeh . I'll give it a go next time. Normally though I get late flight in to Munich so very rarely hit traffic (apart from the one time I was stuck for 8 hours).
snow report
Bode Swiller, it's not a secret road - ST designation makes it a B class road equivalent. It just never comes up as one of the work arounds. It is knowing when to use them that is important. For example, tonight as I drove back from the airport, the radio was putting out dire warnings about ice-covered roads and slow traffic on the A8. I was on that stretch of the A8 at the time and the road was bone dry and the air temp due to the Föhn was +7°C. There was heavy traffic flowing at a steady rate back into Munich, but my side of the road was clear, not even any speed limits Toofy Grin

On really bad days, such as the changeovers around the half term weeks (continental, not UK) if I have to use the roads, I can choose any one of several alternatives, not one of which is an official Umleitung (diversion routes planned in advance - e.g. blue signs with U75 or similar that you see at the exits). For those of us who live along this axis and working somewhere else, it is essential to have as many choices as possible as being late to work on a regular basis is not a good idea! Many of them we share amongst ourselves but would not dream of giving them to outsiders or they would then also get swamped. Some of them you wouldn't want to use any way Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Bode Swiller wrote:
yep, Fieberbrunn works for me (awesome rodelbahn too).

Yes, a couple of friends tried that on Wednesday and would agree! (And the family Schnitzels at the Hochkogl are pretty massive too - adds weight for the sledging Laughing ).
snow conditions
You could try Hochfugen if you just want to ski - 171 km of piste but the description of it as a one horse town is a trifle overblown. One bar, two hire shops and 4/5 hotels but the skiing is good. I guess Kautenbach in the valley may be livelier.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
Nobody has mentioned Fugen & Hochfugen so I just have.
latest report
Alastair Somerville, yes, I agree. Not many Brits go there but it's good.
snow report
Mayrhofrn for me. But I would say that. Back on the 26th.

Transfer time, good selection of skiing and awesome apres. ANd the beer is cheaper than St Anton
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy