Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any physios out there

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Currently in Val d'Isere and struggling to ski. I keep getting a stabbing pai to the rear of my right knee, ESP jet as I stop and load leaves leg. I am having cartilage probes with both knees, but thought I was ok to ski. Suspect a lack of quads, but sudden pain is a mystery. Appreciate any suggestions (of the useful variety)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 5-01-11 9:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
there's physics all about us, Newton etc but I think you mean a physio - so not very useful I'm afraid Very Happy

sorry about the pain though Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stevew, And there's some people who claim to be psychics as well. Toofy Grin
Ghost Dog Sorry about your pain though, as stevew says I think you need a physio. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds like the pain is coming from either your ACL (anterior Cruciate ligament) or the less common PCL (posterior Cruciate ligament)

ACL injuries are most common in sports where weight is suddenly transfered from back to front (stopping quily in tennis for example), and are most pronounced during weight transfer posterior - anterior.

However, if there has been no serious trauma resulting in CL damage it is perfectly feasable to protect the healing ligament with good quad and hamstring strength AND flexibility.

I have had ACL injuries in the past and believe it or not ever since I have been skiing (only 4 years now) my knees have vastly improved. I am convinced it is down to stronger quads.

On a side note, simply pumping up your quads in the gym would not be wise. I emphasise flexability and mobility as much as strengthening.

Mac
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have not used them, but I have heard good things about the physios at http://bonnesantephysio.com/ in Val d'Isere
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Damn you, predictive text. Yes, I meant physio. I have booked to see my usual physio for Monday. Prob is I head off to mayrhofen on the 26th. Aargh!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Physio who used to look after the British Ski Team is based in Val, his name is Toby.

If he is still there he is based in the little medical centre in the "ice square" which leads onto the nursery slopes. Next to the Grand Marnier Bar and Saloon.

If he's still with the GB Team he might be elsewhere looking after them.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
it's a long shot, but worth trying, cheap and quick - you might have trigger points in the calf muscle (gastrocnemius ?sp). The fat one, at the top. If you cross the right (sore) leg over your left knee and shuffle it around a bit, probing with your bony knee, you might find some very sore points - in which case, give them a good poking. They might be a little distance from the actual place you're getting the pain. My OH gets them and it gives him some knee problems. When I massage them it's super-sore. Twisted Evil

Hope something sorts itself out; miserable to be out there and incapacitated. Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was skiing before Christmas, with my knee still in pain after having the torn cartelidge removed in Oct. A combination of a patella stabiliser knee brace and ibuprofen made it possible to ski (as long as I kept to easy slopes). However definitely see a physio as soon as you are able.

Good luck.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, you seem to be an expert on trigger points, do you know anything about those causing pain in your neck? About a month ago I woke up with an awful pain in my neck, the type you get from sleeping in an odd position, but very bad, I only just managed to get out of bed! It subsided to a degree after a couple of days, but has been bad ever since. Mainly when I tilt my head to the left, the pain is at the base of my neck on the left, and shoots up it. Fine to twist my head, and tilt in the other direction. Any ideas?

I went to the physio 4 times just before Christmas but not hugely impressed with them - he seemed to like his gadgets - electromagnetic treatment, electrolysis type treatment (not sure what it's called but electric current that makes muscles contract), and ultrasound, but there's been no improvement at all. Sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beanie1, Sounds sore. I'm not an expert, but I do have a very good book and have managed to find, and sort out, quite a few troublesome trigger points for myself and the OH, but not up in the neck. There are a number of muscles which could be giving you problems up there.

The book I have is this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trigger-Point-Therapy-Workbook-Self-Treatment/dp/1572243759/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294333899&sr=8-1&tag=amz07b-21

Worth a look - and a lot less expensive than going to physios. You need to spend a bit of time working through it, especially if (like me) you don't know your medial pterygoid from your levator scapulae. The massage and pressure treatments suggested are pretty conservative and very well described - I don't think there's much chance of doing yourself any damage through giving them a go.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Saw bonnesantephysio today, they couldn't isolate prob but had quads and hamstrings released and ultrasound and taping. Will see how it goes tomorrow, thanks for all the suggestions.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
give the osteopath a go they are better than the physios IMO and forget the chiropractor
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, will do, thanks.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
beanie1, go get a massage - I had a stiff/sore neck for months and it worked wonders.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy