Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Your ideal ski jacket

Poster: A snowHead
sugardaddy, +1, My Arcteryx Beta shell is brilliant, with layers beneath. I even wear it at home in North Yorkshire for walking my dogs in the rain, no problems either. Who worries about buying a ski jacket that copes will in the rain anyway, surely there are more important criteria (maybe also didnt buy an Audi R8 Spider because the rain came in when the doors were open)? wink

As soon as it rains I'm out of there, or having a bar-day!! An Arcteryx shell will cope all day long with keeping the cold/ wind out, surely thats what its about, and its part of a layering system. As for the comment re rain getting in when the zip is open, dont they all, and who opens a zip in the rain anyway???
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
how hard would it be to get fabric, zips etc and make your own? when i say make my own, my wife is nifty with a needle and thread. could have anything i wanted, recreate my favorite coat, my primary school parka as a ski coat, style...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gavin2020, very very hard to get goretex, and I ssume it will be difficult/expensive to get most decent fabics inmall quantities - they'd normaly be geared for bulk buying.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bin liner, perforated for breathability, and glue then.. and lots of pockets.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The big problem is the seams. Every time the needle goes through the fabric it leaves a hole that lets water through. Need to be taped/welded/magic-ed shut.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I am - or was - quite a reasonable sewer. Used to make a lot of kids clothes and some adult ones too. I can dash off curtains, cushion covers etc, no problem. But no way, absolutely no way, would I tackle a ski jacket when you can get perfickly good ones for not a lot of money, whether from T K Maxx, or Decathlon, or in end of season sales (got a fantastic Head jacket in Filarinskis, 65% off - it's terrific).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sugardaddy wrote:
James the Last,
Quote:

I went into Blacks and Costswolds and didn't see anything that was any better.

£400 http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Ski-Snowboard/Sabre-SV-Jacket#Jackets and an exposed zip on the front to let wind/rain through. Bonkers. Even if the zip is entirely waterproof, the moment you undo it the water will get through. Fashion over substance

Sorry, that's a softshell. It's supposed to be light and breath well, and not suited to skiing in the rain. You're the one that needs to learn a bit more.

Could get 10 of the Aldi soft shells for that and still have enough change for a night out! I don't doubt the Arcteyx one will be better in some ways but worth nearly 11 times the price I somehow doubt!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sugardaddy wrote:
Sorry, that's a softshell. It's supposed to be light and breath well, and not suited to skiing in the rain. You're the one that needs to learn a bit more.

Cool. So it's a ski jacket that's not waterproof.

I've certainly learned something new, thank you sugardaddy. I've got a chocolate teapot for sale, too, interested?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the rather nice E&O one in my cupbaord waiting to debut in the alps did however buy in sale as seriously expensive
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Could get 10 of the Aldi soft shells for that and still have enough change for a night out! I don't doubt the Arcteyx one will be better in some ways but worth nearly 11 times the price I somehow doubt

Thats why the world goes round, stick with your Aldi ski gear, I very much doubt the r&d budget extends much beyond the bruised apples and bananas it sits next to...............seriously I'm amazed that you are comapring softshell Aldi gear with Arcteryx quality shell, ie performance all-weather gear, but its horses-for-courses and so long as your happy thats good, just be careful where you take it and know its limitations I suggest. Shocked
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
James the Last wrote:
Cool. So it's a ski jacket that's not waterproof.

most of the time you don't need a completely waterproof ski jacket. and such a think does not exist anyway on account of the holes for your head and arms
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno wrote:
most of the time you don't need a completely waterproof ski jacket.

But it's one of those insurance things, isn't it - you cannot predict when you won't need it to be waterproof, therefore you always need it to be? You don't want to pop down to a low-lying resort and find it's misty/raining and you've no way back without getting wet.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
for the skiing i do, if it is warm enought to be raining, i will probably be getting pretty wet through sweating, so i am looking for clothing which will not make me cold in those circumstances rather than something which claims it will be perfectly dry
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
By the way - to bring this thread back to a simple level snowHead

Got a new jacket from TK Max - their cheap Surfanic brand and the flap over the zip is held in place with magnets. As I use that jacket everyday at the moment in cold weather I love that feature. Mainly to answer my phone easily which is in the inside chest pocket (its outside the zip but underneath the flap) while keeping my gloves on!!!!
Sometimes the simple things are what makes you really like something!

p.s. this cheap jacket also has a detachable hood, waterproof, breathable (ok performance hasn't been tested yet on this!), vents, wrist pocket, 2 zippable outer pockets with the left one having a specific bit to put your lift pass in, snowskirt, internal mesh pockets and best of all it looks really cool - brown check with fake fur on the hood!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gavin2020

I heven't looked lately, but there used to be at least two firms in Runcorn who would supply outdoor clothing fabrics. I think Goretex was among those on offer, but considerably more expensive than other breathables like Pertex. They sold the likes of hot seam tape and all the types of zipper you might need.

At the time I was looking, I wanted to make a decent jacket cheaper than I could buy. Well there will always be a bargain that beats that. On the subject of this thread however, it might be a way of getting your ideal jacket.

They used to sell patterns for jackets and fleece tops. Presumably someone who knows what they are doing could alter these and you'd get the choice of style, features and perfect fit that will make you the envy of us all.
snow conditions
Goretex is only a membrane. "Soft" or "hard" refers to the shell.
http://www.fly-fishing-coach.com/images/Gore-Tex-fabric-layers.jpg

A hard shell almost always has a waterproof membrane whereas a soft shell doesn't normally. A softshell with a DWR (Durable water repellent) will be good enough for short periods of snow / rain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durable_Water_Repellent
snow report
For the record, the softshell that was/is on sale in Aldi is waterproof/breathable rated 2000/2000.
snow report
I'd like to say a couple of things about chinese fakes.

Firstly. My Mrs works for a premium fashion brand, like every other brand the stuff is made in China for next to nothing. Customers have rang up head office asking why their £100+ garment is for sale in another store (cheaper 'throw away fashion' type) for £20. The customer has seen the item, and then examined it in detail, quality/weight of the cloth et al, everything bar the label and price matchs. It then transpires that the factory have made thousands of extra garments and punted them out to all and sundry. Regardless of copyrights etc, this is China!! But do the premium brand use another factory in future, probably not as they know they all do it!! They just let them know they know, so pheraps (pffft not likely) they will think twice next time. They have even bought the over production quantitys to prevent them being sold on to anyone else, which can mess then stock up, and is a cheeky way of the Chinese increasing their order value....

Secondly. A guy i know bought a Spyder jacket from ebay, it was £50 and shipped from China. "So its fake then" i say. We went into EB and looked at the official jacket in there, examined it in detail, even the detail on the lining and pockets. You can not tell them apart. I got his Chinese Spyder jacket and put it in the shower, the water ran off it.

So im not sure what to think. Lets just say its a gamble, but for £50 against £500, if it 'works' and looks the part, the 'fakes' certainly have their place. No jacket warrents a price of £500, it will still of cost a tenner to make. As said marketing costs and brand power dictate the price. If you deem that to be fair or not is up to you, if your happy to pay the money to get what you want then thats fine, it your money, and its making you happy, so nobody can argue with that. Conversly the opposite side is equally fair enough, dont buy it then.

Personally i'd rather get something i knew was legit, but within my budget.

Pheraps "fake" should really read "un-official"???
snow conditions
ItsSnowJoke, Interesting post, its a concern that good rip-offs are out there. I have always bought 100% legit gear, and like you would rather know it does the job when I really need it, I just wish that Trading Standards would get this sorted. If you or I can go on "that well known trading site" and see them its a shame they can't, or if they do, then did something about it! I suppose that China produces so much snide gear out the back-door its hard to get it stopped and its a BIG problem long-term. rolling eyes
snow report
adithorp wrote:
For the record, the softshell that was/is on sale in Aldi is waterproof/breathable rated 2000/2000.

Which is VERY low - for instance Goretex Pro Shell is rated at 28,000/28,000. I would normally suggest 10,000/10,000 is a good sort of benchmark level for an all-conditions jacket.
ski holidays
5000/5000 on the label of the this years aldi Soft shell I have hung on the coat rack, where did your figure come from adithorp, ?
Not sure what the old Aldi Softshell is rated at but if the conditions are good enough for a fleece of any type that would cope with it.
snow report
davkt, Oooppps, Misread it in the offer booklet. Trousers are 2000/2000 and jackets are 5000/5000

clarky999, Note, I'm not commenting on how suitable or not that is. Just adding the info.
ski holidays
Each to their own but I tend to push myself and run hot. Once forgot my ski jacket so popped into a sportshop on the way to the slopes and bought a cheap jacket (circa 5000 / 5000). In comparison to my eVent jacket which has breathability better than Goretex it was like wearing a plastic bag = clamy/wet from the inside in a very short space of time. Unless it's really cold and windy - on a dry ski day I prefer to keep the shell in the back pack and wear a windstopper gillet over other layers. I don't wear a waterproof all the time (esp in smokey apres ski bars) and don't put an umbrella up when it isn't rainning, makes sense to me.

Someone who runs cold might be better off with a down jacket. Others who use their jacket for many things including scottish skiing and UK 'summer' hill walking might be better off with Goretex (in either a hard or soft shell). Those who don't exert themselves too much or run hot and don't ski when it's rainning will probably be ok with 10000 / 10000. Some ski gear is more fashion than function (and looking good is half the battle Wink ), you pays your money you takes your chances.
ski holidays
I think as far as refunds and trading standards go, the scenerio is as follows:

You buy item that you suspect is fake, probably from an online auction site.
You contact seller, who says "nah guv its legit"
You then have to send the item to the oem who has to send you written confirmation either way.
You can then produce this to site you purchased item from, who will refund your money and remove seller. Seller can re-register next day under new name though!
You can also send written confirmation to trading standards.
If trading standards contact seller, what can they do, seller will say they didn't realise and wont buy from their supplier again etc etc blah blah.

I have read about people who have bought Nuptse vests or jackets (we've all seen then on there for £50, new with tags rolling eyes ) who have ended up opening them up to find no feathers, but hollow fibre type filling.

If something seems to good to be true, it usually is.......
ski holidays
I have 5 ski jackets of varying price but the quality & performance isn't always related to the price!

Cheapest is an Aldi hardshell jacket at £24.99 and most expensive is an Eider jacket that was the wrong side of £400.
Yes the Eider is better than the Aldi one, but no way is it nearly 20 times better!

The best jacket for the money is a new one bought recently, its (dare I say it) a Dare2b Upload jacket RRP£150 that I got for £73.50!
For a 20,000/20,000 jacket with loads of features I'd say that is very good value indeed.

If you want to pay top dollar for a designer/branded label jacket, fine. But don't slate others who have paid less for a jackets of comparable quality

And in my opinion, breathability is far more important than waterproofness!
latest report
I have a mention
Dare2b Upload jacket is not 20.000/20.000
is just 10.000 breathable but is ok, is a tricky product description!!!
snow conditions
+3 for mountain Equipment Changabang
ski holidays
Spud9 wrote:
+3 for mountain Equipment Changabang

good I've just bought one
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Paramo or Haglofs

Great hoods

Breathable and waterproof. Paramo are especially comfortable. If your in TKMAxx you want something cheap so go to tog24 sales outlets. I did and got a great jacket that looks better than tkmaxx stuf for 60 quid
ski holidays
DB wrote:
Unless it's really cold and windy - on a dry ski day I prefer to keep the shell in the back pack and wear a windstopper gillet over other layers.

+1
snow report
Always wondered if all those people who have an issue with "labels/designer gear" are simply jealously because they can't afford them?

Ask yourself the question if they won the lottery what jacket would they buy?
snow conditions
adie, aka inverted snobbery
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy