Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SBS shims after custom footbeds?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I recently had new boots fitted and had a canting assesment done for SBS footbeds and was reccomended a 2deg shim (right) and 3 deg (left) sady there were no shims of this size in stock at the time so I had planned to go back for the SBS wedges at a later date.

At the time of fitting we just reused my old superfeet orange footbeds to help my overpronation.

Unfortunately whilst the boots were a way better fit I was still getting issues with numbness on the outer forefoot so decided to have some custom footbeds dome at S&R. (yes I know, sorry!). This did markedly improve the situation.

Question is having had custom footbeds made would the SBS shims still be reccomended? And if so will I need the boots refitting/remoulding
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kevindonkleywood, you should definately be re assessed for the shim sizes, with a custom footbed you should have a smaller shim requirement (if the footbed is working properly) 3 degree is a pretty big shim!!! and takes up a lot of space in a boot, have you got that much room in there?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CEM, as ever thanks for your help.

The boots are Salomon Falcon CS Pro's and are a 'very snug' fit and I am delighted with the degree of control they give me (even if it hurts like **** getting them on and off they are fantastic once im in them. Im guessing though that I possibly will not have room for the 3 deg shim.

I will have to make the journey back to see Graham at RA and have a re-assessment with the custom footbeds. When I had the initial assesment standing on the shims and flexing (barefooted and out of boot) did feel markedly better than without them in place.

Now for the questions that I know I should not ask as my feet are not on your fitting station for you to look at Very Happy

Is it possible that my outer forefoot pain has been down to this large degree of misalignment (you seemed surprised at the size of the shim). I have had the same pain problems in the much larger Speedmachine 8's worn with the orange superfeet. Would I be better moving back to a orange superfeet footbed and just looking at having the shims instead?

I have real difficulty acessing the outer edge of my skis in single ski drills and whilst a good deal of this is probably down to poor technique is it likely that this degree of missalignment is at least contributing to my difficulties?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
really difficult to answer the questions without seeing your foot

first the assessment standing on the shims is the start, then the boot needs to be measured, the falcon was fairly flat inside but there could be as much as 1-1.5 degrees already built into the base board of the boot, (each individual boot must be measured as there are discrepencies between sizes /models in a run) if you slap 3 degree on top of thsi then you could hage 4.5 degrees!!!!!, you may only need 1.5 or even less. it is the combination of the measurements that is important 3 degree per sae is not a lot but a 3 degree shim is, the boot must be measured before proceeding, if it has been and this has been taken into account then you need to have it reassessed with the custom footbed, i would expect that the numbers should reduce by anything from 20-40% if the footbed is good

if space is an issue then some of the angle can be ground into the base board of the boot, it may also be that you need to look at "true"canting (planning the soles of the boot) to get the very best performance
good luck
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy