Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flaine for off piste ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

a couple of mates and i are setting of this weekend for another trip, as yet we haven't booked and hope to get a late deal. I was keen to go back to Chamonix or Tignes but the other two guys are keen to try somewhere new and have suggested Flaine.

Can anyone please give an honest ( black and white) opinion on what the off piste is like for that area and what we are likely to find should we go,

thanks

Chris
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's pretty good. Obviously it depends on the snow, but it's high enough to get some good powder. There's no glacier, so no crevasses to worry about... but the local geology means there are some gaping holes in the rocks that are just as dangerous as crevasses, so you really need to know where you are going. I'd say it was worth checking with the local guides about where is good to go, but I've had a few good days there just skiing on marked runs and between the trees and found good powder.

It has one big advantage over Cham and the other well known off piste areas, it gets much less tracked out so given good conditions you can find powder without needing to camp out by the lift station the night before.

I'd go for it, it's really quite under rated for the terrain in my view, and there should be enough for a weeks skiing even if there's no fresh snow.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
great ! love to hear that kind of report Very Happy recently got back from la plagne and found some great untracked areas due to it being family orientated sounds like another good bet then , shall report back after our trip, thanks sah
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
The whole of the Flaine bowl is chalk based. A chemical action of water and salt deposits erodes large holes in this rock, rain water then runs into these holes further eroding the surface into large irregular channels, this surface is known as Lapiaz (sometimes Lapiez in the Savoie). From the point of view of the skier or snow shoer going off-piste the dangers are the same as crossing glaciated terrain. Snow bridges of varying strength form across these fissures and particular care should be taken early in the season or in seasons with poor snow fall. There are deaths and serious injuries every year.

(from pistehors.com)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks pam-w thats great info too ....... to be pre warned is to be pre armed Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Chris - you'll find plenty of off piste in Flaine - best known spots are the Gers & Veret bowls - all unpisted but with lift access - however you do need to be prepared with the right safety kit
The area around the Jampark is also good - its less known & tends not to be tracked out so quickly.
If you don't mind walking & want something a bit more extreme, there's some good runs to the left of the top of the Grand Vans lift going back to Flaine or dropping down into the Vernant valley.
You'll also find some good runs going down to Carroz & Samoens - hard to describe their exact location - but you'll find them - get the Grand Massif lift pass.
Finally take heed of the warnings regarding the rock fissures - I've seen the size of some of them when walking in the summer - you do not appreciate how deep and dangerous they are when covered in snow!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
this is shaping up to be a great week, thanks ianner, all we need now is to have a couple of snow days ! Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Quote:
The whole of the Flaine bowl is chalk based. A chemical action of water and salt deposits erodes large holes in this rock, rain water then runs into these holes further eroding the surface into large irregular channels, this surface is known as Lapiaz (sometimes Lapiez in the Savoie). From the point of view of the skier or snow shoer going off-piste the dangers are the same as crossing glaciated terrain. Snow bridges of varying strength form across these fissures and particular care should be taken early in the season or in seasons with poor snow fall. There are deaths and serious injuries every year.

(from pistehors.com)

As Pam says. I don't ski off piste myself but it's something that's been made very clear when I've been to Flaine. Take care.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Picking up from Pam... basically if you're standing in Flaine Forum looking up the really dangerous areas are the off piste bits between the DMC on the LHS and the white Eggs the centre line of the resort.... everywhere else is subject to the usual risks.

As others have said.. if you know where to go without having to hike too far then you can still find some great off piste for 4/5 days after a good dump!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy