Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should I buy boots/skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Hiya,

I'm planning my first skiing trip for almost 20 years, and although I'm not a beginner, I'm not far from it. I've been skiing four times previously, all before I was 18. In terms of abilities, I tend to do parallel turns most of the time, but very badly. I'm hoping for some lessons before I go to try and sort this out, and I'll certainly have some when I get out there (current plan is Val Thorens in March). Having said all that, I'm keen to enjoy my first week's skiing for a long time, although I'd certainly be intending to go at least once a year after that, and with not-infrequent visits to Hemel Hempstead as well. To that end, I was wondering about getting myself some boots, and maybe even skis?

Obviously, from a purely financial point of view, there's no sense at all in getting my own equipment over hiring, but I have a fairly well paid job, and I could always try and claw some of the outlay back from eBay if I didn't enjoy the holiday. I just think the benefit of having comfortable feet and well-suited skis would outweigh the outlay. Hey, that rhymed! Sorry.

So, could anyone please offer me some advice? I've heard about this Solutions4Feet place, and would probably go to them for the boots (and also use them to get some running shoes at the same time!), but I really am a complete novice and don't know where to start with the skis. Should I just head to the Snow and Rock at Hemel, for instance?

All comments much appreciated! Smile

Martin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boots certainly if you feel you might have problems with hire boots or if you are confident you are going to get bitten by the bug again.

But I'd wait a while before buying skis. They have changed a lot in 20 years. Stick with hire skis to start with, find your ski legs again and decide what you want from your skiing.

Enjoy!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
queen bodecia is dead right. Solutions4Feet highly recommended - and Colin could give you some good ideas about what kind of hire skis to look out for.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
An advantage in hiring skis is that the hire shop may allow you to swap during the week in order to try out different ones - which can be helpful in deciding what skis to buy if you then get hooked again.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
An advantage in hiring skis is that the hire shop may allow you to swap during the week in order to try out different ones - which can be helpful in deciding what skis to buy if you then get hooked again.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ccl, Are you having a few problems with your keyboard? Or do you have response stutter.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Go with boots, skis can wait but well fitting boots will make a phenomenal difference to how much you enjoy your holiday!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I bought boots and have never once regretted it.

Comfortable feet is a good starting point Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
But make sure you get the boots properly fitted!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I agree with everyone else - boots yes (or at least maybe) , ski's later....if at all
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yep, definitely boots first. You should wait a while to buy skis. If you buy beginner/early intermediate skis you will more than likely outgrow them quickly. If you buy a more advanced ski you might find them too difficult to handle at your ability level. If you hire and find the skis don't suit you'll be able to exchange them at no extra cost.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks everyone. Sounds like a consensus to me. Will arrange boot fittings asap. Have a lesson with upside down skiing, or whatever they're called, on Thursday so I'll see if I can pick up any further ideas there for what I want Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

upside down skiing

This sounds like a Freudian slip if I'm not mistaken Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

upside down skiing

It's how i usually end up if I try powder !!!! Razz
ski holidays
It did seem the most suitable name for my style of skiing Smile
snow report
jzBun wrote:
ccl, Are you having a few problems with your keyboard? Or do you have response stutter.

What do you mean? What do you mean? What do you mean?

That's the second time I have triple posted: no idea how. It doesn't happen in the other two forums I post in.

Now to hit the Submit button and see if it happens a third time a third time a third time
latest report
It did - but now I know it is the result of using the back button to go back to the index. That seems to create a repeat posting each time you do it.
snow report
Upside Down Skiing - somehow I think that name might stick. Laughing
snow conditions
Buy boots, wait on skis
snow conditions
That said, there's nothing to say that having your own boots will automatically mean you'll be comfortable in them. If the boots aren't suitable for your standard, and fit then they may be uncomfortable/unsuitable in the same way that hire boots could be (on the flip side you could end up with perfect fitting boots that feel like slippers whether you buy or hire). Even after proper fitting some boots may need adjusting to make them comfortable for you, and you might not get it right after one holiday.

As pam w, suggests try Solutions4Feet in Bicester. I went and was told not to bother buying at that point, I have narrow feet and was a relative beginner. The only boots that were available in narrow fit were for more experienced skiers. Colin at S4F said that he could sell me something for my level, but they wouldn't ever fit properly, so would likely be uncomfortable. So in that respect I may as well use hire boots that I wasn't comfortable in for a few trips, then buy proper fitting boots when I was more experienced.

I'm looking to go back to Colin at some point before my next trip though and get some boots.
ski holidays
I bought boots after my first trip, having had a hard time with hire boots. Maybe I was lucky - I don't have particularly 'difficult' feet - but I've never looked back. I went to Filarinskis in Havant (now Bosham) and they were brilliant - spent a good two hours choosing, then heat-moulding the boot until I was comfortable. I got a voucher for the Southampton dry ski slope to try them, and was able to go back for more (free) adjustment if necessary. It wasn't. My wife has very flat feet and had a similar experience.

In your position I would probably have some lessons in a snowdome as you suggest, and then decide. It might be worth investigating Ellis Brigham at MK or S&R at Hemel for boots and fitting.

Certainly no need to buy skis, but then I can't see a rationale for buying skis at all unless you live in/near a resort or are spending at least three weeks a year on the snow.
ski holidays
Your own boots will not smell of somebody else's feet. Bliss. Take the inners out daily, and let them dry properly and they won't smell.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy