Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski suggestions for a *larger* gentleman

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking for a bit of advice if possible with my next ski purchase. I currently ski 184cm K2 Apache Xplorer (128-84-112) which i bought a couple of years back when i did my instructor quallys in canada. To be honest, they are fine as they go, but are a bit of a jack of all, master of none ski i think.

Im looking for a full twin tip that i can get a bit more into more freestyle with (i find the extra length and weight of these k2's make them hard work to spin?) I was thinking about some Armada ARV's (as a lad had a pair out in canada and they looked a good laugh) or possible Rossy S3 Koopmans (i tried a pair out last year that were quite fun) but im thinking it might be worthwhile cutting the length down a bit?

The issue i have is that i am a larger gentleman (about 6ft 3, 20 odd stone) and i do like enjoy the large fast gs turns rather than the short radius.

Has anyone got any suggestions of anything that i should be looking at. I do like to pop into the powder when its available, so a narrower ski wouldnt be of much interest i dont think, maybe 60:40 on:off?

Many thanks

Mat[/i]
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Armada ARV is a great ski in 185.

To be honest im struggling to think of full twins which come much bigger than that.

Possibly a Vokl Bridge in 187 or K2 Kung Fujas in a 189 would be a good choice. Line blend is good and goes up to 183.

Best of luck finding something you like.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stiffness will be as important as length (I've used that one before Laughing ). movement gladiator would be great if you could get the longer version - not many around these days, try noblecustom. Think High Society also do stiff twins.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Okay, for like the 4th time in a day, I am going to say VOLKL MANTRA!
I'm taller but not as heavy (still 110kg), and they really are amazing!
They come in 184s and 191s, and are perfect for 60:40 on off!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agree with the 191 Mantra for freeriding but definitely not for park.

Very stiff and not a full twin either.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
do rails have a weight limit Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeaah, I have some 2008(? maybe) Public Enemies for park.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
to be honest, the rails etc dont really appeal to me that much, just jumps, so they are safe for now Smile i do like the look of the line blends, seem to get some good reviews etc. just need to see if someone sells balls to go with the new skis NehNeh Thanks for the suggestions, appreciate it
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
line prophet 100 might be worth a look
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
i dunno, some of the suggestions seem a little bit soft flexing for a 20 st lad. I'm a lean mean 18st and need a stiff ski, certainly stiffer than some of the suggestions
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Barry, you know it's all about the Mantras..
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ive had a look around, these Line Blends seems to be a good buy @ £445 delivered with a Marker M11 binding. does anyone know about the M11? Im guessing its 11 din which is a lot higher than i usually have my bindings set at (9ish usually) or would you suggest a beefier binding?

http://theoutdoorgearshop.co.uk/acatalog/Line_blend_Ski.html#a1_211481

Cheers
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Beefier binding without a shadow.

I honestly dont know how you run your dins so low. And even if your din is 9 a binding with a max of 11 is still a bit limited.

I would say for a "larger gentleman" you would need atleast a 14din binding. Look in to the Salomon sth14.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy