Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Telemark

Poster: A snowHead
geoffers,
Quote:

You were lucky that it was only the cable you were concerned with. My original Superloops had a structural failure - stress fracture in the stainless steel toepiece , but luckily Russell replaced them F.O.C as he acknowledged this as a design fault.
At least it was at the end of a midsummer long weekend on the Tignes glacier so didn't cause great grief

Mine too ! Very Happy On a powder day Puzzled . On the Grands Montets rolling eyes . At the top Evil or Very Mad

FlyingStantoni, FlyingStantoni, Your NTN feeback is interesting. Like Rocksteadee, I started on leather - and still prefer a low stance. Actually - I can't do a high stance. I followed a guy on NTNs in Les Arcs at Christmas - he skiing high stance. He had faster lead changes and got better grip than me. His turns were almost alpine in shape, compared to mine.

Any one up for a leather tele-fest at Hemel ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
High stance is the way forward, get that cracked and the lead change can be amazingly fast

I did try my leathers on the dry slope and things don't normally scare me, that did. But always up for trying it again as humiliation is always a great leveler
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rocksteadee,
Quote:

High stance is the way forward, get that cracked and the lead change can be amazingly fast

I'll have a go.

Quote:

I did try my leathers on the dry slope and things don't normally scare me, that did. But always up for trying it again as humiliation is always a great leveler

Mrs Ski has been learning to tele - so we've been to Hemel a few times. I've been using my old boots to add to the fun. It does help no end with being balanced on the ski.. but not with a tall stance.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I've been using my old boots to add to the fun

One of the training exercises we did with John Eames was to tele with all our boot buckles undone - apart from the guy who was in lace-up leather boots Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ski,
When you likely to be at Hemel as may have to find the little leather dainty non supporting can get an edge by rolling the ankle, boots

On the high stance have been working on this past few weeks and how to achieve it and ultimatly how to teach it........
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I used to have G3 targas and always carried spares. Only thing I broke on the mountain that needed replacing immediatly was a heel throw.

Having gone from those rather floppy bindings to NTN I do feel that to some extent I have sold out on the telemark spirit. They are so easy to ski alpine stylee and I have no problem keeping up with any of the other skiers. Can also ski for longer, faster and its less tiring. It did take a day or two to get used to, and at first it was very strange and I thought that I'd never get used to them. Gave them a pretty good hammering for a week and no sign of failure or damage.
I like them, but they do need some getting used to.

Oh yes, have them mounted on Black Diamond Verdicts. Nice colour scheme wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have decided to stick with the cobras, took out the broken bit of rod- but mangled the plastic cone- which looks like it covers any threads not in the tube and have just ordered 2 new sets of connecting rods for the cobras- will replace all the rods and have a spare set- very helpful guy at Braemar Mountain sports sorted this out.

I have also bought a set of the plates which the cobras are attached to - so I'll be able to swap bindings between skis- only £25. Which I think is a bargain.

Telemarking really makes no sense at all if you think about it. There is a great article on telemarktips about this. It really does have more in common with a sect than a sport. Why do I think it is a good idea to ski on bindings that will probably break- and why do I think it is a great idea to carry spares and tools just in case? All to ski slower and with more effort- on bindings that are many times the price of equivalent alpine ones- that release- and don't break!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ed123,
Could you post the link for that article?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ed123 wrote:
. Why do I think it is a good idea to ski on bindings that will probably break- and why do I think it is a great idea to carry spares and tools just in case? All to ski slower and with more effort- on bindings that are many times the price of equivalent alpine ones- that release- and don't break!

It would not be half as much fun if it were any different! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rocksteadee,

http://www.telemarktips.com/AlpTouring1.html
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Mr. McLean:

Coke versus Pepsi. PC versus Mac. AT versus Tele. With so many tough choices in the world today and stakes ranging from control to soul, it is time for a “fair and balanced” comparison on the two leading contenders of backcountry binding ideology, Alpine Touring (AT) versus Telemark.

Traditionally, backcountry skiing in the United States has been synonymous with telemark equipment and all that it entails. Is this a legacy of confusing cross-country roots with backcountry routes, or an evil plot? In any case, if you are considering getting into the backcountry, there are some important choices to be made concerning truth, justice and choosing the right system.

The Basics: Alpine Touring bindings have both front and back components just like bicycles have front and back tires. This revolutionary concept allows greater speed, performance and control. Tele bindings on the other hand are more akin to a unicycle with only one point of contact. The comic improbability of riding a unicycle or telemark skiing is a common bond between circus clowns and tele skiers, as is performing in public with farm animals.

Mr. McLean on the AT advantage:

Telemark binding designs were first sketched centuries ago on cave walls by Neanderthals. In a tribute to tradition, little has changed since then in both the design and the designers. AT bindings came afterwards, and like the invention of the wheel, something that is so perfectly conceived from the beginning that it can only be refined, not reinvented.

The primary advantage of AT is that it's all about skiing, touring, safety, efficiency and fun. Nothing very complicated or involved, just the basics. Telemarking is more of a religious cult or a reality TV series about dysfunctional rock star families, most of which doesn't makes sense to the casual viewer. Why would you want less control, more weight and unreliability? Because in the thighs of the beholder, telemarking has its own special beauty, like running a 100m sprint in high heel pumps.

Mr. McLean on additional AT advantages:

Weight:

Published weight for Alpine Touring bindings are stated in grams and ounces, whereas tele bindings use pounds and should consider going to tons. It is one of the engineering marvels of the world how a tele binding with half the function and parts of an AT binding can weigh over twice as much.

Safety:

Both bindings have built in safety mechanisms. AT binding use a mechanical system of springs and cams to release the skier at a predetermined load. Tele bindings stick with their organic roots by using your ACL as a biological release mechanism. The AT system is reset by stepping back into it, and the tele system is reset by stepping into an emergency room.

Functionality:

A touring binding must go up as well as down. For years, telemark binding designers have struggled to find a balance between having freedom on the uphill and control on the downhill. The result is a nearly perfect division of performance: the uphill inefficiency is equal to downhill instability.

Tele bindings may have less control, but at least they require more effort. AT bindings on the other hand took the cheaters way out by incorporating and optimizing two separate modes – skiing and climbing.

However what really makes me wonder is the price of telemark bindings- most of which look like they have been knocked up in someones garage.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ed123 wrote:

However what really makes me wonder is the price of telemark bindings- most of which look like they have been knocked up in someones garage.

That's not far from the truth for Russell Rainey, 22 Designs and Bomber AIUI.

Small niche market, selling to stinky hippies who don't replace gear often enough and/or urban hipsters who'll pay a premium for a less functional product (cf fixed wheel bikes) and you can understand why the volume's not there to make it cheaper.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="ed123"]
Quote:

Is this not the case then?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
have just managed to acquire some rottefella ntns for 150 euros and a pair of scarpa terminator x boots for a 200 euros. sounds a fannytastic bargain from germany ( i have bought from this guy before and his stock is genuine and turns up). now to learn to tele. anyone in val d isere from nov 24 onwards to give some pointers ?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
limegreen1, how long you stay there,, I possible will be in Tignes end of nov,,, Very Happy
snow report
limegreen1, killer deal you will not regret it. Its the new norm afterall Cool
snow report
picked up my 1st tele set up this weekend as well...a bargin by swiss standard..though do miss decent ebay bargins.
ski holidays
Wow- great deal. NTN's are a beefy, powerful tele-binding. I learned on Hammerheads which are also considered powerful, but I've been told by more than one person that NTN's are "like Hammerheads on steroids." This is good if you're transitioning from Alpine to tele. The NTN's will feel more like an alpine binding and you'll be able to do alpine turns easily on them. Pointers? Take a lesson from a good instructor & don't overthink the knee-dropping. It takes a lot of practice to perfect but a good lesson will have you on your way after 1 day.
snow conditions
limegreen1, That sounds like an awesome deal. Quite interested in some of that kit! Where did you get it from?
snow report
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/ski/skis/gigawatt-ski/
New skis from Black Daimond, for the REAL powderdays,,
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy