Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SKI SWEDEN

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there! I'm new to Snowheads and only wish I'd have discovered it sooner. I half live in Sweden and the rest of the time in London. I've skied in a lot of small resorts in Sweden and am happy to pass on any advice or practical information.

If you're thinking of by-passing Tour Operators and organising your own ski holiday using all the various permutations, budget flights, trains, car hire, I'd be more than happy to share my own experiences with you and pass on useful tips.

Each season I have around 6 weeks use of a cottage I part-own in a really lovely small resort called Lofsdalen. (check www.lofsdalen.se) I've arranged ski buddy trips previously though I've no spaces left this season. If you'd like me to save your e-mail address, please contact me and I'll bear you in mind for next season. I have a car in Sweden, a four´wheel drive that comfortably takes three plus me, with a roof box for skis.

I don't make a profit on these trips, and only take a small amount for accommodation (£100) to help with my annual running costs in Lofsdalen. Ski hire/lift pass not expensive and we do our own cooking (food, booze and petrol kitty is run by me) and take a packed lunch which we drop off at the picnic hut.

The cottage has three bedrooms, a cosy living room with a log burner, sauna, ski storage, good kitchen area and fabulous views. I supply bed linen and towels so you can keep within the 10kg allowance on Ryan Air. You can ski almost to the front door at the end of a ski day. Lofsdalen is best suited to those of you that are not expert skiers and who prefer the charm of a smaller, unwrecked resort.

For those of you that are interested in Sweden, I've posted an entry about skiing there on the resort info page.

Ossy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 7-01-11 13:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
... if I wasn't going skiing, I'd be up for that Wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ossy Evelyn, That's tempting for next year.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ossy Evelyn, That is very tempting for next year!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hello Ossy
nice to hear from someone in Sweden! Although I'm a downhill skier, I'd be mainly interested in Lofsdalen for cross-country skiing and would be tempted to come with a friend for a week next year, if possible later in the season... when exactly do you have the use of the cottage?

Would it be possible to access the loipes (x-country tracks) without having a car, and are charges made for their use?
I'd be very happy to hear from you - please e-mail me directly if you want.
Chri

For other snowheads who don't read Swedish either (like me), here's the link to the English website on Lofsdalen: http://www.lofsdalen.com/english/6690.cross-country_skiing.html

wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
chri, Hi, the x-country tracks are free Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi chri,
I e-mailed you directly and thanks again for your flagging up your interest in some cross country skiing and pasting in the page from the Lofsdalen site. Thanks too, freeheelskier. Being Swedish as I now know you are (thanks for your e mail the other day), I guess you must be pretty good at cross country. It always look easy watching somebody do it rather than doing it yourself! It feels so different to downhill skiing and takes time to adjust. What a way to stay fit, though: No guilt about eating big dinners and quenching a thirst later in the day! For those of you interested in trying cross country, Norway, Finland and Sweden have a lot of tracks to complement the downhill skiing in the various ski resorts. The cost is usually virtually free, just a nominal cost of around £6.00 for a week in Lofsdalen....not completely free, freeheelskier. In a lot of destinations they give you a sticker to put on your ski jacket. The money goes towards maintaining the piste. For those of you that needed cross country skiing deconstructed... there is a special pisting machine for cross country routes. What you end up with is compressed snow with two paralell tracks to place each ski into, literally to help keep you on track though it doesn't matter if you accidentally stray off the grooves. The skis are a lot narrower so there is a different technique to keeping your balance. The boots you wear are a lot lighter and comfortable and look more like walking boots. Your heels are not tied down to the ski. The boots attach only from the front. A tiny metal piece at the front slots into the binding (not sure if it should be called binding though!) so it gives you a lot more freedom of movement meaning you can ski-walk up an incline. For those that have so far shown an interest, I will contact you with dates next year. Perhaps I should organise a trip just for cross country skiing? Mix and match?
Ossy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ossy Evelyn, Sorry that I not was updated with the cost for x-country, the first resort that started with a little cost for x.country tracks in sweden was Bruksvallarna, also in Härjedalen,, the best area for x-country skiing, As U say, its very difficult for a alpine skier to learn, I have done since a was started to walk, a x-countryskier have more easy to learn telemark,, and telemark is what I have done the last 15 years,,
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy