Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where can we go for good snow....not THAT far from Selva?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thanks RG1. This year we are basing ourselves in the village of Siusi linked by gondola to Alpe Di Siusi which should be ideal for me as a second weeker. Next trip we will hopefully try Corvara or Colfosco although the price of accomodation there is quite expensive. I may have to do it in mid march when many hotels do 7 nights for the price of 6 and ski pass is 6 days for price of 5. Either way it is a beautiful area and I did enjoy my skiing there even though it was a bit daunting being a first timer. Am already looking forward to the mountain huts and chilling out over lunch.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We went to Canazei in half term 2 years ago and didn't have any queues to speak of apart from in gondola first thing but it only took 10 mins. Go intermediate way around the circuit - its faster - there are slight queues the beginner's direction but in overall terms the circuit is overrated as the branches are more interesting and quieter.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Beginners would be better going up Dantercepies and skiing in either directtion than going up Ciampinoi and skiing "that red". It's not that bad tho, just a bit steep at the top and very busy, often with floury moguls. Oh, ok, it's a bit much for a bairly out of beginner mode skiier. I spent hours talking Mr Dr Ghost Doggy down it, got drunk in the process (ski down, have schnapps, go back uop, shout a t wife, ski down, have schnapps, repeat).

It gets very frustrating to watch your OH stand up, try to turn from a static cross hill position, fall down again, repeat.) But last year she blasted down quicker than me, depriving me of any possibility of a breakfast schnapps Sad

Aaah, roll on Scotties Gurkel
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ghost Dog wrote:
Beginners would be better going up Dantercepies and skiing in either directtion than going up Ciampinoi and skiing "that red".

Hmm. It's a long red or black down to the village from there. A novice would take a very long (and nervous) time doing that! Maybe you mean skiing the long, shallow run down to Corvara from the top, and getting the lifts (with a couple of short runs) back to the top of Dantercepies and getting the bubble back down to town.

The "nasty" section at the top of Ciamponi is very short. I did have to pick my way around the carnage though. Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We were in Canazei the same week as the OP and did ski round to Selva twice in the course of the week. There certainly was a problem with random areas of hard-pack mainly in the middle of the pistes particularly at lower altitudes. But in many ways, the best way to deal with these was to view them as a challenge, make sure that your weight was well-centred on your skis, not engage your edges too much if it was really hard, and use the softer hummocks to make your turns (i.e. IMHO, pretty standard ski technique for the conditions).

There was a real problem with our Russian coleagues skiing recklessly that week, and any slope/lift on the Sella Ronda circuit itself was much busier than I had expected and not especially enjoyable as a result. As regards the main lift system - all week I only used one chair that was non-express and one small drag (in Armenterolla).

My main gripe for Dolomites vs other areas that I have skied, was that from Canazei it took two lifts for us to actually get skiing in the morning, and it reminded me why I usually look for the words ski-in ski-out!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If my memory serves me correctly there are 2 reds off Ciampinoi down to Plan de Gralba. One was a direct route with steepish pitch at the top and was a bit icy when we tried it. The other went round the front of the mountain and was more gentle - a better bet for low intermediates ( I would not take a first weeker on either though).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think the Dolomite ski area is truly amazing and I wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong impression from this thread. The fact that you can access 100's of kms of pisted runs is the main attraction as far as I'm concerned. Each of the areas offers a huge amount of skiing. For a numpty like me to be able to ski to the Marmolada glacier from Selva and back would hardly indicate that it is long winded to get around. I agree some slopes get challenging in the afternoons, but that's skiing. However I agree that the slopes in Selva are not beginner slopes - except for around Plan de Gralba.
As for the condition of the pistes - I think they are prepared to a higher standard than anywhere else I've skied. It's warmer temperatures that ruin snow and nothing can be done about that. Everyone on this forum, I imagine, will have had bad ski weeks at some time or another.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Errrr, this is skiing people. Sometimes we have to put-up with things like bumps and lifts and less than perfect conditions. wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy