Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aspen ski instructor suspended for protesting over low pay

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Aspen ski instructor, Lee Mulcahy, has been suspended by Aspen Skiing Co. after distributing fliers critical of the company's pay for 'beginning' instructors. ...See: http://www.kdvr.com/news/sns-ap-co--skiinstructorsprotest,0,3735997.story
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Aspen Times - Aspen ski instructor suspended after protest

Quote:

The flier has a big, bold headline saying, “Greed?” Smaller type says, “Cost of Private Lesson: $625. Labor payment to least paid instructors: $69. Fair?”
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
.Ro,
Quote:
“The average hourly rate paid to pros during the 2009/2010 season for all products combined was more than twice the industry average per the National Ski Area Association Survey.”
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
and

Quote:
the pay rate Mulcahy is targeting applies to less than 2/10ths of 1 percent of the lessons provided by the ski school. The company employs about 1,200 instructors. Mulcahy picked the lowest pay grade, one that doesn't apply to many instructors, and he didn't look at the entire package paid by Skico, Laing said previously. He noted that the company provides reasonably priced housing for many entry-level employees, subsidizes bus passes and makes health care coverage available for seasonal workers.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I haven't read the article in detail but I know the overheads of running an alpine ski school are very, very high... our local school bough a 5 meter magic carpet for their nursery at over €15,000 !!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
$625 for a private lesson? Yeesh.

But I guess they wouldn't charge it if people didn't pay it. Personally I would expect to be Didier Defago after a couple of lessons at that price!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
$625 for a private lesson?

For all we know that may be what the local chalet owners like Kevin Coster or Goldie Hawn paid so may be the instructor should get a bit more than $69. Afterall the ski pass at peak season is $83 per day and the cheapest day pass is $70 per day.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
saikee, he wasn't saying that the person who taught private lessons was getting that amount... Read the stories and my quotes from them above.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The very long-running dispute between Lee Mulcahy and Aspen Skiing Co. is heading for trial next month ...

http://www.aspendailynews.com/section/home/158643

Quote:
Mulcahy, seeking to overturn the SkiCo’s banning of him from its property and the land it leases from the Forest Service, sued the company in April 2012. He was fired in 2011 for what the company has said were several infractions. Mulcahy maintains it was retaliation for his distribution of fliers at the SkiCo-owned Little Nell hotel that criticized the company’s ski-school salary policies, along with complaints he made to the National Labor Relations Board.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Isn't this the same as any industry where one's time is charged out by the hour? I earn approximately 15% of what my time is charged out at.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I pay my guys equivalent to 20% of what I bill them at.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That said they get paid even when I don't.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This dude deserves to be paid properly.. He's teaching safety & skill to the youths!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy